Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: T-58 high fermentation temp  (Read 3125 times)

Offline gleece

• 1st Kit
T-58 high fermentation temp
« on: September 16, 2020, 11:17:21 am »
I brewed a belgian ale and pitched one dry packet of T-58 with no rehydration into 66f wort. I use a TILT hydrometer and it has shown temps of mostly 74f the last 2 days. What can I expect with the finished beer? Is it ruined?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: T-58 high fermentation temp
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 11:18:33 am »
I doubt it's ruined.  Fermentation generates heat and unless you can counteract that your results are normal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2020, 11:26:07 am »
It will be great.  No worries.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline gleece

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 07:00:01 am »
Thanks for your reassurance. The OG was 1.065 and 61 hours later it is at 1.008. It got busy!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 09:19:07 am »
Thanks for your reassurance. The OG was 1.065 and 61 hours later it is at 1.008. It got busy!

Holy smokes!  I really need to give this yeast a try.  It gets great reviews but for whatever reason I haven't tried it yet.  I know it will be good.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 09:35:04 am »
Haven't used it in a while but I usually get 85-90% attenuation from T-58. Never got to my Wit this summer...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 09:45:04 am »

Holy smokes!  I really need to give this yeast a try.  It gets great reviews but for whatever reason I haven't tried it yet.  I know it will be good.

IIRC it's a diastaticus strain.  I've used it maybe a dozen times. It's OK but kind of one dimensional.  It doesn't have anywhere near the subtlety or complexity of any liquid Belgian strain I've tried.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2020, 10:35:38 am by denny »

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2020, 09:47:23 am »
t-58 just tastes like black pepper to me, no other esters or phenols, just heavy black pepper.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2020, 06:53:05 pm »
I just tried my first batch with T-58. It's still conditioning, but so far it's not near as characterful as I was hoping for. It's not bad by any means, but I was hoping for more Belgium from it.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 05:39:09 pm »
I just tried my first batch with T-58. It's still conditioning, but so far it's not near as characterful as I was hoping for. It's not bad by any means, but I was hoping for more Belgium from it.

I’ve always thought it’s very mild which is why I like it. Not huge Belgian beer guy so It works for me. I primarily use dry yeast but feel there are still a ton of styles that benefit from the use of liquid strains.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 05:41:56 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2020, 01:02:48 pm »
I’ve always thought it’s very mild which is why I like it. Not huge Belgian beer guy so It works for me. I primarily use dry yeast but feel there are still a ton of styles that benefit from the use of liquid strains.

Yeah, I may have to go with a liquid yeast to really get that saison character.  Have you tried BE-134?  I mostly do small batches (2 gallons or less) -- and dry has just always been more convenient to work with.
The Other Drew

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2020, 12:22:57 pm »

last i did it, i fermented it pretty cool at low 60s and it was really mild, it would have been perfect for a witbeer.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2020, 07:03:46 pm »
last i did it, i fermented it pretty cool at low 60s and it was really mild, it would have been perfect for a witbeer.

That's very much the vibe I got from it.  I was aiming for saison-y and got something wit-y.  I'm calling it a grisette and declaring victory 😅.
The Other Drew

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 08:58:56 am »

That's very much the vibe I got from it.  I was aiming for saison-y and got something wit-y.  I'm calling it a grisette and declaring victory 😅.

That's because T58 is meant to be a wit yeast.

www.dennybrew.com