Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Corny keg line cleaner.  (Read 1026 times)

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
Corny keg line cleaner.
« on: October 08, 2020, 06:39:39 pm »
I would like to buy or make a squeeze bottle type  thing with a corny keg liquid post on it. The point of this is to run beer line cleaner into my tap lines in order to clean them. I looked on Austin Homebrew and Keg Connection, but didn't find anything even close.

Does this thing exist? And if it does not, do you know of a way to adapt a corny keg liquid post connector to a flat surface? The one I have looks a bit like an NPT flare connector, but I don't think it is.

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Corny keg line cleaner.
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2020, 07:07:04 pm »
I made one of these years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjOPzGw5cuI

Works good.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline joe_meadmaker

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2020, 07:11:23 pm »
You can use one of these and just mix up your cleaner in an empty soda bottle.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/carbonation-line-cleaning-ball-lock-cap-stainless.html

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2020, 07:33:02 pm »
You can get a small submersible pump from Amazon for less than $15. I grabbed the one below. I grabbed one of the barb/ball lock adapters mentioned above and recirculate for about 15 minutes. With some 1/2" silicone tubing and a ball lock to ball lock jumper (2nd link, brewhardware-an incredible site) you can Daisy chain your lines and clean multiple at once. I'd upgrade the pump to something with more power, 2.5 ft of head makes it tricky if you do more than two lines at a time.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B0757K5CZR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_BX7FFbR2VKWTD

https://www.brewhardware.com/product_p/ball_lock_jumperpost.htm

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2020, 08:06:03 pm »
I made one of these years ago...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjOPzGw5cuI

Works good.

So it is a flare connection! Cool! I can deal with that. LSA-176. Thanks!

Charlie
Yes officer, I know that I smell like beer. I'm not drinking it, I'm wearing it!

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2020, 06:37:38 pm »
I had that piece in my brew plumbing box. All I needed was a 1/4 to 1/4 MIP adapter to fit it to the bottle. I hope to finish the job tomorrow. Thanks to everyone who replied.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2020, 09:34:06 pm »
I was going to make my own from parts bought at the home store but my LHBS had these in stock. Basically a small fruit tree sprayer with ball lock on the end of the line.

https://www.hopcraftsupply.com/products/keg-line-cleaning-kit?_pos=2&_sid=f2b78b777&_ss=r
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 08:57:18 am »
I went to Lowe's, bought a garden sprayer, and added a kiquid-out keg plug to it.  It works great and you don't tie up a corney keg to pump cleaner through your beer lines.  After cleaning with caustic, I remember nse with hot water using the same method.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2020, 07:45:40 pm »
A buddy gave me a liquid post that he found in his junk box, and I was surprised to find that it was  1/8 NPT thread, not a flare. A quick trip to Ho Dep and I had a 1/8 MPT  to 1/8 barb fitting to match.

I cut the nozzle off a 1/2 liter wash bottle and drilled the hole out to 1/2 inch, screwed the MIP/Barb fitting through the hole, and tightened the liquid post down on top. About 6 inches of 1/8 inch Tygon tubing for a dip tube finished the job, and it works like a charm.

Sometimes I do a job, and it just works!

Charlie

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2020, 11:49:32 pm »
I used those pumps for a while...now I use a 2.5 Gal mini keg and just push Cleaner through with CO2.  CO2 is cheap.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline charlie

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2020, 07:00:36 pm »
I used those pumps for a while...now I use a 2.5 Gal mini keg and just push Cleaner through with CO2.  CO2 is cheap.

Not cheap enough! I use two #20 tanks a year and they cost me $30.00 plus for the exchange. It used to be more like $15.00. I don't know why it went up, but in my experience stuff never goes down!

Charlie

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2020, 05:24:31 am »

Not cheap enough! I use two #20 tanks a year and they cost me $30.00 plus for the exchange. It used to be more like $15.00. I don't know why it went up, but in my experience stuff never goes down!

Charlie

CO2 went up when the Federal requirements to add ethanol to gasoline were rolled back.  The mid-west ethanol plants had to cut production/shutdown.  Those plants were the source for a lot of the CO2 we use.  No fermenting corn - no cheap CO2.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?