Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: session grain bill adjustment  (Read 2597 times)

Offline bamajim

• 1st Kit
session grain bill adjustment
« on: October 14, 2020, 11:04:45 am »
Wondering if there is a conversion factor (by a percentage reduction) to change a recipe's grain bill into a session grain bill.  Lets say a recipe calls for 10 pounds of marris otter.  To make it a session brew, should the 10 pounds be reduced by 20%, or whatever, to 8 pounds?  There must be a formula or some way to make the adjustment.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: session grain bill adjustment
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2020, 11:05:47 am »
There is no rule or formula.  Simply formulate the recipe for the OG you want.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2020, 11:41:54 am »
the problem with only reducing the base malt is that the percentage of specialty malt in the recipe goes up and can throw things out of balance. You can look at grain bills as percentages and not pounds and reduce everything proportional to one another, but I dont think this is necessarily the right way to "sessionize" a beer recipe either. 

Start from the ground up when making a new recipe.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2020, 11:44:56 am »
the problem with only reducing the base malt is that the percentage of specialty malt in the recipe goes up and can throw things out of balance. You can look at grain bills as percentages and not pounds and reduce everything proportional to one another, but I dont think this is necessarily the right way to "sessionize" a beer recipe either. 

Start from the ground up when making a new recipe.

Totally agree.  I know a number of people only reduce base malt but that doesn't work for me.  You end up with a different beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2020, 01:30:07 pm »
There's a lot more to brewing a great session beer than scaling the ingredients. Jen Talley wrote an excellent book on the subject. Definitely worth a read:

https://www.amazon.com/Session-Beers-Brewing-Flavor-Balance/dp/1938469410/ref=sr_1_1?crid=1ZNSEOLRXUI8A&dchild=1&keywords=session+beers&qid=1602703663&s=books&sprefix=session%2Cstripbooks%2C228&sr=1-1

Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2020, 01:50:47 pm »
Jen's book is a good read.  Good old Utah and its prior low ABV caps (now raised to reasonable levels) made session brewing a near (beer) necessity.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2020, 09:02:44 pm »
You can spend a bunch of hours looking at this sites bitter and mild recipes. It may have what you want, or not. It is fascinating.

http://barclayperkins.blogspot.com/?m=1
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Fire Rooster

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 04:16:40 am »
I recently read the book "Session Beers: Brewing for Flavor and Balance, Jennifer Talley".
My expectations were higher than what was read.  Chapter 2 was the meat of the books title.
However, overall it was still good to have my views/beliefs reinforced.

For some time now I only brew session beers.  Recipes in the back of this book reinforce
what I had learned the long/hard way.  Start with 8.5 pounds total grain for a 5 gallon batch, most consisting
of base malt.  Recipes in the book have commercial scaled recipes, and also scales them down to 5 gallons.
Most of the scaled down recipes hover around 8-8.5 pounds total grain.  I would start with 8.5 pounds
total grain for 5 gallons and adjust from there.

I brew 4.25-4.5 gallon batches and only use 8 pounds.  Over time I had used 7.5, 8, 8.5, 9
,and used my taste preference and buzz factor after a few beers to determine where I wanted the ABV to be.

Long story short, use 8.5 pounds total grain for 5 gallons, and use your preferred ABV and taste
to guide you from there.  Brewing session beers is certainly challenging for flavor and balance, as
the ABV & grain amounts change, so does the flavor profile.  Currently Yuengling-Light is a good
commercial example of a low ABV beer, 3.8%.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 03:50:28 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 05:00:36 am »
I use BeerSmith and I put in the grain bill and then you can click on the gravity bar to adjust the gravity.  It will keep the percentages the same but hit the gravity that you want. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 06:09:20 am »
You can spend a bunch of hours looking at this sites bitter and mild recipes. It may have what you want, or not. It is fascinating.

British ales are the most satisfying session beers IMO. Agreed this site is awesome.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 11:08:20 am »

British ales are the most satisfying session beers IMO. Agreed this site is awesome.
One lesson that I've learned from brewing some of Ron's recipes is that keeping carbonation on the lower side is benificial for session beers. Higher carbonation tends to a thin mouthfeel.

Ron's 1957 Whitbread IPA recipe is the only "Session IPA" I'll ever brew. It is phenomenal.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 05:13:18 pm »
I make lots of session beer below 4.5% abv. Lots of good advice and references so far. Reduced carbonation helps a lot with mouthfeel. Select your yeast strain for lower attenuation and watch non fermentable vs fermentable grains accordingly. Adding an extra 1/2-1 pound of special roast, victory, biscuit, black malt etc goes a very long way toward preserving flavor/mouthfeel. Don’t be afraid to cut back on the hops. Balance is THE key.

A final note, I’m religious on my water to grist ratios hitting 2 quarts per lb total with 1.25 going in the mash. For smaller beers I like to adjust this to mashing with 1 qt per lb and sparring with.5 qts per lb reducing my runoff volume and efficiency but increasing the maltiness of the beer. My normal efficiency is 79% but comes out around 71% with this method.

Cheers!
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2020, 05:23:53 pm »

One lesson that I've learned from brewing some of Ron's recipes is that keeping carbonation on the lower side is benificial for session beers. Higher carbonation tends to a thin mouthfeel.

Ron's 1957 Whitbread IPA recipe is the only "Session IPA" I'll ever brew. It is phenomenal.
I need to brew that again.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2020, 12:22:15 pm »

I have this beer on my "to do" list and was wondering what yeast you have had the most success with.  I believe the Barclay Perkins website recommends 1099, but I can imagine a whole host of options working here.  Thanks in advance.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 04:03:41 pm »

I have this beer on my "to do" list and was wondering what yeast you have had the most success with.  I believe the Barclay Perkins website recommends 1099, but I can imagine a whole host of options working here.  Thanks in advance.

Windsor is a good substitute for 1099 (which might be harder to find, much less to keep it fresh).  Or maybe even better, the old Munton's ale yeast.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.