Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Technology in Breweries  (Read 926 times)

Offline SippinIPA

• 1st Kit
Technology in Breweries
« on: December 01, 2020, 12:19:23 pm »
What technology problems do breweries find so pressing & important that you spent money bringing in an outside resource?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Technology in Breweries
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2020, 02:34:46 pm »
Do you mean like a canning line (limited resources, so use a mobile canner to come in to can a batch) or a brew lab (for QC)?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2020, 03:17:42 pm »
not sure about the question, but plumbing and welding are in high demand for alot of breweries. wastewater/waste management is a big concern as well that requires alot of outside resources

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 03:34:19 pm »
In many of the breweries I have visited there are a full staff of QC people including scientists who are looking at yeast health and also tracking product as it moves from place to place so that if there is a contamination they can pinpoint the spot and resolve it.  I'm sure cliffs' mention of plumbing is huge considering all the custom work that most breweries have.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2020, 03:49:55 pm »
Big breweries probably pay for automation. There are loads of engineering companies that design, install and maintain automated manufacturing and test systems for production facilities.  AKA: SCADA, process control systems, system integrators

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2020, 03:54:15 pm »
Big breweries probably pay for automation. There are loads of engineering companies that design, install and maintain automated manufacturing and test systems for production facilities.  AKA: SCADA, process control systems, system integrators
For sure. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Northern_Brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • British - apparently some US company stole my name
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2020, 03:55:39 pm »
Most breweries lack the agricultural technology to grow Galaxy and Nectaron hops inhouse, so they end up buying them in.

If SippinIPA can find a way for them to grow them inhouse, particularly in maritime climates like Seattle, San Francisco and the UK, that would save a lot of money.

Online BrewBama

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2020, 03:59:42 pm »
not sure about the question, but plumbing and welding are in high demand for alot of breweries. wastewater/waste management is a big concern as well that requires alot of outside resources
+1. One of the brewers at Mad Malts (used to be Brew Stooges until they got cease and desist) is a plumber. He came to my house to fix a problem for me and noticed the brew equipment in the basement.  We started talking beer as he fixed my water issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2020, 04:20:40 pm »
Without a doubt HVAC, Electricians and plumbers ...

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2020, 06:56:45 pm »
+1. One of the brewers at Mad Malts (used to be Brew Stooges until they got cease and desist) is a plumber. He came to my house to fix a problem for me and noticed the brew equipment in the basement.  We started talking beer as he fixed my water issue.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nothing is more urgent than when your solid waste interceptor gets backed up.... literally nothing.