Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Will Brett/saison phenolics settle down with time?  (Read 689 times)

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Will Brett/saison phenolics settle down with time?
« on: November 13, 2020, 11:52:03 am »
I recently brewed what I intend to be a sour Brett saison. I pitched Sour Batch Kidz and Suburban Brett (both from Imperial). Sampled it yesterday, and while it seems promising (now four weeks after brew day), the Brett and saison phenolics are pungent as hell. Will these settle down with time, or, like esters, will they be in the beer forever as they are now? Although I've been brewing a long time, I'm not very experienced with Brett or saison yeasts.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Will Brett/saison phenolics settle down with time?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 12:59:18 pm »
I recently brewed what I intend to be a sour Brett saison. I pitched Sour Batch Kidz and Suburban Brett (both from Imperial). Sampled it yesterday, and while it seems promising (now four weeks after brew day), the Brett and saison phenolics are pungent as hell. Will these settle down with time, or, like esters, will they be in the beer forever as they are now? Although I've been brewing a long time, I'm not very experienced with Brett or saison yeasts.

4 weeks is nothing as far as time goes for brett and the other bugs in sour batch kidz. Id say give it at least 6 more months to judge it. It will change dramatically.