Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 2633 or W-34/70?  (Read 1447 times)

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
Wyeast 2633 or W-34/70?
« on: October 15, 2020, 03:51:32 pm »
We plan to brew up a nice light Euro (i.e., German) style lager soon.

As we have plenty of very fresh 2633 on hand, I was wondering how it would work in a Munich Helles, or a German Pils?

We had great success with the W-34/70 before, but thought the 2633 might be worth a try.

Any thoughts?

Online ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Wyeast 2633 or W-34/70?
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2020, 03:57:35 pm »
I have no experience with this blend of strains, but I suspect it will work fine in the other German styles.  Anytime a blended yeast is re-pitched, I wonder which of the underlying strains will become dominant.  So, I would likely not have it as a candidate for serial re-pitching, but give it a shot, I am pretty sure it will be a good result in another German lager on the second use.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online BrewBama

Wyeast 2633 or W-34/70?
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2020, 06:30:03 pm »
I think of Pils and Helles as very “crisp” beers.  Though I do not have experience with this yeast blend, the description alone would steer me away from 2633: “This blend of lager strains is designed to produce a rich, malty, complex and full bodied Octoberfest style beer. It attenuates well while leaving plenty of malt character and mouthfeel. This blend is low in sulfur production.”

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2020, 06:10:12 am »
This would actually be the third generation, as Gen #2 is hard at work in another Fest Bier.
We may just give it a try...buy maybe in something closer to a Vienna Lager instead of a straight Pils.

That 34/70 is hard to beat, and we have had great success with it...after we panicked due to the 72 hour lag time on the initial pitching.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2020, 11:37:34 am »
I've only repitched 2633 for one generation (Usually Märzen > Doppelbock), but I can't say that I've noticed a big change in character upon repitch. Either yeast would work fine for the beers you're brewing. If I had a fresh pitch of yeast ready to go for a particular style, I'd probably use it instead of the dry yeast just for that reason.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2020, 09:17:22 am »
I think of Pils and Helles as very “crisp” beers.  Though I do not have experience with this yeast blend, the description alone would steer me away from 2633: “This blend of lager strains is designed to produce a rich, malty, complex and full bodied Octoberfest style beer. It attenuates well while leaving plenty of malt character and mouthfeel. This blend is low in sulfur production.”

Not to be contrary, Brewbama, but in my humble opinion. Helles should always emphasize a light body with smooth maltiness and I judge them as such.
Pils, yes they should be crisp and clean. I have used 2124 in my Helles in the past and am going to use 34/70 the next time I brew it (it's been a couple years since I made that style).  No experience with 2633.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Online BrewBama

Wyeast 2633 or W-34/70?
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2020, 11:54:46 am »

Not to be contrary, Brewbama, but in my humble opinion. Helles should always emphasize a light body with smooth maltiness and I judge them as such.
Pils, yes they should be crisp and clean. I have used 2124 in my Helles in the past and am going to use 34/70 the next time I brew it (it's been a couple years since I made that style).  No experience with 2633.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk
+1. I’ve confused the term ‘light bodily’ with ’crisp’.

I guess I simply meant the term ‘full body’ described by the yeast mfr would mean 2633 would not be my first choice for a Helles or Pils.

« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 02:14:06 pm by BrewBama »

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 02:13:31 pm »
Haven't used 2633 but I have 34/70 for Helles and this yeast will make a nice Helles in my opinion.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2020, 07:22:11 am »
Haven't used 2633 but I have 34/70 for Helles and this yeast will make a nice Helles in my opinion.

Having used both of these, the W-34/70 makes an excellent Pils or Helles. As good as any commercially brewed version.

The 2633 is great and makes an awesome Oktoberfest. I am going to modify my grain bill using a much higher percentage of Pils malt, and give this yeast another run.

We used the 34/70 in one Oktoberfest batch, and did not care for it. It was drinkable, but just was not nearly as good as the 2633. Maybe the yeast was at the end of it's usable life span, being the 7th generation?
« Last Edit: October 21, 2020, 07:24:59 am by TXFlyGuy »