Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brown Yeast in bottle?  (Read 1843 times)

Offline troy@uk

• Cellarman
Brown Yeast in bottle?
« on: September 02, 2010, 06:20:18 am »
Recently I have experienced something new. I bottle condition all of my beer. I use corn sugar or DME depending on the beer/style. I have just drank the last of an ESB (WLP 002 English Ale) that was bottled 4-5 months ago and the last of a Wit (WLP 400 Belgian Wit) that was bottled 2.5 months ago.  In both of them the yeast sediment has turned darker brown. No noticeable change in flavor, only cosmetic. Am I waiting too long or beginning to have OTHER (sanitation) issues?
Now there are fields where Troy once stood....  OVID

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Brown Yeast in bottle?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 11:12:50 am »
Am I waiting too long or beginning to have OTHER (sanitation) issues?
I don't think it's a sanitization issue, I think the yeast is just not doing well.  Their job is finished though, and there shouldn't be enough residual yeast in the bottle to worry about off flavors from autolysis, it just might be hard to reculture from that bottle.  So I think this is another one of those cases where you just need to RDWHAHB. :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Jeff Renner

• Cellarman
  • Ann Arbor, Michigan, USA
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 06:18:18 pm »
Another likelihood is that the sediment isn't all yeast, but the brown stuff is sedimented malt particles and whatnot.

Regardless, if you don't perceive a problem, I don't think you have one.
AHA Member since 1980, Life Member
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild charter member (1986)
AHA Governing Committee (2002 - 2011)
BJCP since 1991, National
"One never knows, do one?"  Fats Waller, American Musician, 1904-1943

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 10:08:38 am »
Regardless, if you don't perceive a problem, I don't think you have one.

Words to live by!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 10:51:56 am »
Isn't that brown stuff some of the residual hop isomers that gradually drop out of suspension? IIIRC Jamil Z or Palmer talked about it: such as a brew gradually losing half it's BU's over a year's time due to this process. Ends up as brown sludge in the bottom of bottles or kegs.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis