Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What's Brewing This Weekend - 9/3 Edition  (Read 7342 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: What's Brewing This Weekend - 9/3 Edition
« Reply #30 on: September 05, 2010, 01:14:50 pm »
20 minutes from knock out on a traditional bock.  This is the second brew in a row with no problems.  Unless you count overadjusting the pH too low.  The Kolsch from two weeks ago went into a keg and a carboy today also.  I feel like I'm getting something dsone!  And tomorrow is a Holiday!
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #31 on: September 05, 2010, 01:33:36 pm »
Wouldn't you know it?  While I was in here typing the propane tank emptied.  A few more minutes until knock out......
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #32 on: September 05, 2010, 02:07:46 pm »
Wouldn't you know it?  While I was in here typing the propane tank emptied.  A few more minutes until knock out......

You realize you brought that on by saying "This is the second brew in a row with no problems..." ;-)
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: September 05, 2010, 03:01:11 pm »
Brewed an ordinary bitter, and looking to keg my first Saison tonight.  Maybe I'll brew tomorrow and reuse some of that saison yeast.

Offline wfaris

• Cellarman
    • Lincoln Lagers
« Reply #34 on: September 05, 2010, 06:07:23 pm »
Brewed a Scottish 80/- on Saturday afternoon.  This will serve two purposes.  It will be served at a Nebraska Stroke Association benefit auction and beer fest next month.  Our club always serves a couple kegs of beer along side of all the commercial breweries and distributors.  We also seem to win the people's choice award for the best beer every year.

The second purpose of this beer will be to give me a yeast cake to use for the wee heavy I plan to brew in a couple weeks.  On Monday I plan to make a cider.

Wayne
Bugeater Brewing Company
Nebraska Brews Since 2002

Offline hopaddicted

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2010, 08:06:36 am »
My last attempt at an IPA came out as more of a pale ale, my last DIPA came out as more of a strong IPA (my first partigyle batch), so tomorrow is going to be an IIPA and if time permits and American Wheat or Standard American Lager (6 gallons). If I do the lager I'm gonna broke it down to 3-2G batches for secondary, one with no additions, one with a dry hop, and one racked onto raspberries (for the ladies).
Primary: Lambic
Secondary: Oktoberfest, German Pilsner, Double IPA,
In Bottles: Lucknow IPA clone, Rough Rider Brown Ale clone,
John Harvard Imperial Stout clone, Hoppy Amber, Witch's Brew (Habanero and Smoked Corn Small Ale), Porter, Dunkleweizen, Dry Stout, Irish Red Ale, American Maple Wheat Ale, Black Wit, Belgian style Wit, Belgian Golden Strong Ale
Kegged: IPA, Saison, Hoppy Brown Ale

Offline Lynux

• Cellarman
  • Beer geek and hop head
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2010, 09:51:59 am »
Mashing this small batch as I type.

3.5 gallons

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5 lbs Pilsner (2 Row) Ger (2.0 SRM) Grain 83.33 %
1 lbs Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
0.25 oz Apollo [17.50 %] (60 min) Hops 23.0 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.50 %] (15 min) Hops 11.2 IBU
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [9.50 %] (5 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
1 Pkgs French Saison (Wyeast #3711) Yeast-Ale

OG 1.051
IBU 39

A good brew will quench the parched soul

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #37 on: September 06, 2010, 05:11:22 pm »
Seems like every once in a while I run across someone who just doesn't like rye beers.  Not a big deal....you know how I feel about wheat beers!

well, if the beer tastes like the wort does, we have no problems here!  little efficiency woes which is odd for me (I'm german afterall) and hit  1.068-9 but I actually drank the whole wort sample!

Got high hopes!

BTW - I used Rahr Pale Ale malt for the first time - I used 1.038 as the expected - what do you guys use?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline yugamrap

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2010, 07:28:09 pm »
Brewed the Last of four beers for my annual "OktoBEERfest!" - a Bavarian Hefeweizen - and racked10 gallons of Helles for lagering.  The Märzen and Düsseldorf Altbier are ready to go.
...it's liquid bread, it's good for you!

Offline dbeechum

• Global Moderator
  • I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Pasadena, CA
    • Experimental Brewing
« Reply #39 on: September 06, 2010, 11:32:01 pm »
Just put it to bed, a 1.060ish English IPA called "Buyer's Remorse". The beer will serve as the yeast starter for the Mortgage Killer 30 year brew.

Good day to brew!

And on the plus side our landlord's gardener showed up while I was brewing and despite the language barrier he totally understood I was brewing cerveza and then downed three smallish glasses of my 10% Saison while declaring it good!
Drew Beechum - Maltosefalcons.com
- Vote in the AHA GC Election! - http://bit.ly/1aV9GVd  -
-----
Burbling:
Gnome is in the Details
*Experimental Brewing - The Book*
Tap:
Peanut Butter Jelly Time
Tupelo Mead
Farmhouse Brett Saison

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: September 07, 2010, 05:35:09 am »
And on the plus side our landlord's gardener showed up while I was brewing and despite the language barrier he totally understood I was brewing cerveza and then downed three smallish glasses of my 10% Saison while declaring it good!

. . and promptly proceeded to unintentionally mow yer rose bushes to the dirt.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 05:37:24 am by dhacker »
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #41 on: September 07, 2010, 09:15:44 am »
BTW - I used Rahr Pale Ale malt for the first time - I used 1.038 as the expected - what do you guys use?

I generally use Rahr pale and get about the same numbers.

I didn't brew last weekend, but I did get the wiring done so that I can install a water heater and finally finish the plumbing in my garage/brewery.  Tomorrow we run PEX for the water lines, then install cabinets, sink and water heater.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve

• Assistant Brewer
  • Been there, done that. And now I've returned
    • Kettle and Cask Beer Blog
« Reply #42 on: September 09, 2010, 10:19:53 am »
My cousin's boyfriend showed us the Cave Mountain Brewing Co. http://www.cavemountainbrewingcompany.com in Windham NY, just NW of Hunter Mountain ski area on NY 23, but we didn't stop for dinner cause we were full from our first stop.  We'll catch it next time.

If you like German ambiance and food look for the Crystal Brook Resort's Mountain Brauhaus. http://www.crystalbrook.com/mountain-brauhaus  We ate Sunday supper there. 

When you pull up and park you can hear the accordion music playing from inside. We consumed several pitcher of Spaten Oktoberfest. I had Jäger schnitzle, red cabbage and spaetzle. Mmmm. They also had Goulash as a special. The accordion player had a fancy squeeze box with a built in Oom Pah band inside. There was also dancing at 3:00 PM on a Sunday afternoon.  My cousin and her boyfriend are avid polka dancers and know all of the "hot spots" to dance at!

The photo to the left is the model of a horse drawn beer and wine wagon.
Steve

"Because beer is food: in cooking, at the table and by the glass. " Lucy Saunders