Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: So, is HBC dead?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: So, is HBC dead?
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2024, 08:58:31 am »
I've been to CBC and it isn't anything like HBC. I have no interest in attending CBC again, just like I have no interest in attending GABF again.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2024, 10:42:14 am »
I agree with Denny, CBC isn't that interesting to homebrewers since it is a BUSINESS gathering about the beer business. It rarely has much of the interesting brewing and tasting content that we homebrewers enjoy.  Yes, there are big shiny objects in the exhibition hall, but they're expensive and of little use to our crowd.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #17 on: March 06, 2024, 07:36:41 am »
… The BA and the AHA are both losing money …

Just food for thought: has AHA thought of establishing an affiliate link to online purchases?  It could be a way to generate revenue via a tidy commission.

It doesn’t cost the member any more for their purchase and they get the added benefit of helping generate funds for the AHA on something they’re going to buy anyway. It doesn’t have to be beer related.  It could be used for all online purchases.

The link could be added to the website, forum, magazine, …anytime the organization communicates they could put a plug in for using it… etc.

Just an idea. This is an organization of members. If the organization is broke look no further than the members to help.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2024, 08:52:52 am »
… The BA and the AHA are both losing money …

Just food for thought: has AHA thought of establishing an affiliate link to online purchases?  It could be a way to generate revenue via a tidy commission.

It doesn’t cost the member any more for their purchase and they get the added benefit of helping generate funds for the AHA on something they’re going to buy anyway. It doesn’t have to be beer related.  It could be used for all online purchases.

The link could be added to the website, forum, magazine, …anytime the organization communicates they could put a plug in for using it… etc.

Just an idea. This is an organization of members. If the organization is broke look no further than the members to help.

Yes, it's been tried in several forms

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2024, 08:32:18 am »

I don't believe for a minute the organization is broke. I can believe expenses for everything are rising and membership is declining. The last HBC didn't generate revenue according to rumor, at least I haven't seen any numbers, and the BA decided a way to not lose is to not hold the conference in the first place. I also don't see the AHA separating from the BA because it DOES generate revenue from memberships. Revenue the BA would certainly miss if it was no longer available.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2024, 08:49:43 am »

I don't believe for a minute the organization is broke. I can believe expenses for everything are rising and membership is declining. The last HBC didn't generate revenue according to rumor, at least I haven't seen any numbers, and the BA decided a way to not lose is to not hold the conference in the first place. I also don't see the AHA separating from the BA because it DOES generate revenue from memberships. Revenue the BA would certainly miss if it was no longer available.

Partially right, partially wrong.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2024, 01:26:39 pm »
Just seems to me if I order from Amazon, along with a bazillion other AHA members, they would get commission on every purchase. If it’s been tried I surely don’t recall ever seeing an affiliate link anywhere.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2024, 02:01:08 pm »
Just seems to me if I order from Amazon, along with a bazillion other AHA members, they would get commission on every purchase. If it’s been tried I surely don’t recall ever seeing an affiliate link anywhere.

AHA supports local shops. Pushing Amazon isn't something they'd likely do.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
AHA Referral Program
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2024, 10:49:01 am »

Hello @brewBama. Here is an overview of the AHA Referral Program: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/news/generate-revenue-with-the-aha-referral-program/. It's worth checking out and is an active program we support througout each year. Homebrew clubs, retailers and anyone interested to help expand homebrewing and the AHA qualify.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2024, 10:59:35 am by jherzjherz »
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2024, 08:22:22 pm »

And rightly so... But not that many of us have local shops anymore. %uD83D%uDE1E

Edit: fixed a small typo.

Edit edit: but broke the emoji. Oy vey.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2024, 07:27:48 am by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2024, 05:34:05 am »

And right so... But not that many of us have local shops anymore.
+1. They’re leaving money on the table for those of us in LHBS deserts.

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2024, 08:12:14 am »

And right so... But not that many of us have local shops anymore.
+1. They’re leaving money on the table for those of us in LHBS deserts.

Have you check out the 'Online Deals' section? There are deals that do not require in-store purchase.
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302