Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: How fast is too fast to move to all grain?  (Read 6144 times)

Offline Me

• Cellarman
Re: How fast is too fast to move to all grain?
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:31 pm »
I would definitely recommend doing a couple of extract batches, especially to see if you enjoy the process. All grain will require more equipment, more space, more time to brew but it will also be more fun and rewarding. I did one mini mash before stepping up to all grain and I thought it helped me understand the science and process of all grain. I'm just glad to hear that you are doing your homework before brewing. My first batch was yanking the package out of the mail and firing up the stove-- but it somehow worked out.
Beer is proof that god loves us and wants us to be happy-
BF

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2010, 02:42:43 pm »
Go see someone do it end-to-end before doing it yourself, though.  A lot of what you do is visual, so you need to know what "looks right."

While that's undoubtedly the best way to do it, that's not the way I did it.  I'd never seen anyone do AG before I started.  I just read a lot of books and the usenet group rec.crafts.brewing and jumped in.  Once I was done, it was kind if like "wow, is that all?".  The point being that if you can't brew with someone else to learn, don't let it stop you.

nowadays its very easy to find a solid youtube video (think Kai) series that can show you the steps in case you don't have a friend to show you the ropes.

FWIW, I would have gone all grain my first batch as well, but I had a brew partner who insisted we do extract first.  He lasted 3 batches before his ADHD took him elsewhere.  He loves coming to drink my beer though.
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2010, 02:58:36 pm »
Another vote to do some extract kits to get a firm handle on the essential parts of the process...ie..sanitation, boiling, hopping, and chilling while continuing to research.  This will ease the learning curve and allow you to really enjoy the hobby.  Once you become comfortable with extract kits then start the transition into AG.
Ron Price

Offline susanr

• Cellarman
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2010, 04:03:07 pm »
Everyone starts at different levels so you need to start where you are comfortable - I watched a friend brew once and went all out with all grain to start with - it was almost 2 years later before I ever did an extract batch and that was only because I won one in a homebrew competition.  I enjoy the process of of starting with the malt and mashing it so for me the process is less exciting when I do an extract batch.  It all depends on what you want out of brewing, the time and money you have.  Don't feel like you have to go to AG tho as you can make phenomenal beer by extract also.  It does sound like you are interested in going AG tho so just go for it - don't feel like there is a magical amount of time you need to wait to move up.
Cheers,
Susan

Homebrewing is not my hobby - it is my lifestyle.

BJCP Assistant Exam Director
BJCP Grand Master Judge
former AHA Governing Committee
Prairie Homebrewing Companions
Beer and Meadmaker - 15 years

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2010, 06:46:26 pm »
You've heard some great advice on how to get into brewing-->AG.  IMO you are only moving too fast if you are mashing your first AG BEFORE your last batch of extract has cleared your fermenter. ;)
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010, 07:29:30 pm »
Thank you all for the great advice.

I am looking for a good fridge (Hope to pick one up this weekend or next), have plans to build an IC this weekend and a mash tun next weekend.

I love cooking and love drinking beer, so I think this hobby (obsession) will be a good fit.

You've heard some great advice on how to get into brewing-->AG.  IMO you are only moving too fast if you are mashing your first AG BEFORE your last batch of extract has cleared your fermenter. ;)

Therein lies the rub.  ;) I would like to do an extract batch soon, then a steep/extract batch a couple weeks later. Rack the extract to a secondary (to free up the primary). When the extract batch is ready to bottle, bottle it, move the steep/extract batch to a secondary and brew an AG for the primary.

Another question occurred to me. Which is better to use for temp control for fermenting, a fridge or freezer? I have read on here that a lot of you have multiple fridges/freezers and am looking forward to the day when I will to.  ;D I was thinking a freezer would have a wider temp range so it could be used for lagers and ales. Is a fridge as versatile?

Thanks again!
Dano
Tulsa, OK

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010, 07:37:20 pm »
A chest freezer with a temp controller is very versitile for use with fermentation and lagering.  I have two 7.5cf chest freezers with Johnson controllers. I could actually use a third chest dedicated for lagering but I would need more room. If you are purchasing a chest I would go with something at least 7.5 cf.  The bigger the better IMO.
Ron Price

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010, 08:14:45 pm »
I have also heard that a chest freezer works better with a temp controller (more energy efficient?).  I have a 15cf chest freezer with a Johnson controller and it works great for fermenting and serving.  A fridge doesn't have as much space as a chest freezer so that would also be a deciding factor.

Happy Brewing,
Brandon

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2010, 09:12:52 pm »
I was brewing AG by my 3rd batch.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2010, 10:33:12 pm »
Go see someone do it end-to-end before doing it yourself, though.  A lot of what you do is visual, so you need to know what "looks right."

While that's undoubtedly the best way to do it, that's not the way I did it.  I'd never seen anyone do AG before I started.  I just read a lot of books and the usenet group rec.crafts.brewing and jumped in.  Once I was done, it was kind if like "wow, is that all?".  The point being that if you can't brew with someone else to learn, don't let it stop you.

I agree totally.  AT least two people I know started brewing all-grain from their FIRST BATCH.
As for me, I brewed extract for quite a few years,  thendoing  partial grain, but when I saw what grain could be had for in bulk, it was a no brainer taking the plunge to AG. 
Like Denny, I read everything I could get my hands on and went in well prepared...and the very first AG batch came out really good.  My reaction was much  like Denny's..." ...is that all there is to it?"  At that point I felt sort of dumb for not switching much  earlier after hemming and hawing about it.

As far as extra equipment expense, it doesn't have to break the bank, not by a longshot.  For 20 years or more I've been brewing all grain with a  5 gallon round Rubbermaid/Gott cooler ($20);  a false bottom for the cooler (a gift from my LHBS for referring a load of business to them); a counterflow wort chiller ($35), a home made 220V/3000W electric keggle with a false bottom  (around $120)...and miscellaneous hoses, copper tubing, and other ephemera totalling no more than $40.   A total of $215 over the course of a few months...totally manageable and it did the job and continues to do so.

In the music world, musicians who like an array of gizmos, FX boxes, and have to have anything that's currently state of the art are often referred to  (often by themselves) as "gear sluts".

Brewers can be that too...so, I mean,  get fancier if you can afford it and like to fuss around  with the gear, but it's absolutely unnecessary. You can make beer just as high quality  with picnic coolers and other repurposed vessels as you can with a multi $K automated system. 
Then you'll be ready for that SABCO rig  when your lottery ticket finally wins. ;D
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010, 04:53:05 am »
Brew your kit beer to see whether you even enjoy brewing. Assuming you do, you don't have to jump right in to AG brewing. There are alternatives such as partial mash (aka mini mash) brewing, which is a hybrid of extract and AG brewing. Click on my links below for visual examples of both partial mash and AG brewing processes. Good luck!

+1 I moved to partial mash by my 4th batch and stayed there for a while. I now do AG but in smaller batches (3 to 4 gallon) because that's what I can physically deal with comfortably and it keeps my equipment footprint manageable for an apartment-dweller. I would have no problem doing another partial-mash in order to do a really high-gravity beer with my existing setup.

My big step up, in retrospect, was moving from kits to recipes. Especially since I'm scaling recipes, I have to think carefully about each ingredient and its proportionate role in the overall beer. As much as I enjoy an all-grain brewing session, I think I get even more out of the planning process.

Find out what gives you joy in the process and follow that path. it's a terrific hobby. I guarantee you will be the hit of your block party. :-) 
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010, 07:05:18 am »
Don't let the math scare you.  Most of the brewing software programs do it all for you, and there really isn't all that much to do anyway.

+1
When I was getting ready to go all-grain, the math and recipe formulation really had my brain twisted in knots too.  I knew I could buy all-grain kits, where everything was all measured out for you (which I did for 2 or 3 batches), but I wanted to go all-grain to be able to experiment and make my own recipes.  Once I spent $25 on BeerSmith, it all seemed so simple.

Get comfortable with the process and worry about the math and science part later.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010, 07:29:21 am »
I was brewing AG by my 3rd batch.

Let me rephrase this, I was brewing AG by my third batch with no one to help me, no forums to consult and only Charlie Papazian's book to consult. It really ain't that hard. You will spend the next several years perfecting it, but go ahead and make the jump anytime.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2010, 07:49:01 am »
...and if at first you don't succeed...try, try, try again.  Words to brew by my freind.  ;)

I believe most brewers here are still learning including myself.  It's the never ending process of improvement IMHO.
Ron Price

Offline IHBHS

• Assistant Brewer
    • Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2010, 02:28:31 pm »
I jumped right in to doing AG and didnt ever do an extract batch til I started teaching the Homebrew class we offer. I have seen people that spend the money on the equipment and then their beer doesnt come out the way they expected or find it too overwhelming and give up and sell off their equipment.  Like most others have said, make sure you are ready to go to AG
Ice Harbor Brewing Co.
www.iceharbor.com