Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil with Pump  (Read 2475 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil with Pump
« on: August 02, 2020, 02:38:24 pm »
At least via the search function it appears it's been over two years since anyone wrote about the Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil, which now offers a pump option. Would anyone using it like to weigh in? The idea of moving to an electric mash and brew is very appealing on several levels, and as someone whose brewing setup is scaled for 3 gallons, this gear would seem perfect for even the "biggest" beers. I currently brew on my kitchen range but would love to have the option to brew elsewhere and also wouldn't mind consolidating the cooler & kettle into one piece of equipment. My mashes are always one temp (I don't sparge either, for that matter).

Williams carries it, as does our LHBS (where I would make the purchase):

https://www.williamsbrewing.com/Black-Friday-Specials/Brewers-Edge-Mash-Boil-With-Pump
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline ZombieDad

• 1st Kit
Re: Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil with Pump
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2020, 04:09:33 am »
I’ve been using the mash and boil WITHOUT a pump and overall couldn’t be happier with this type of setup. Having one vessel for all the hot side steps is amazing. Less to clean and no elaborate space consuming setup. Being able to plug into regular outlet is perfect for me. I moved my brew setup from the kitchen to the man cave (unfinished basement). When I first brewed an all grain Recipe I used our Indoor gas stove, boil kettle With brew in bag, mash tun, Etc. It was not an enjoyable experience. I looked into getting a big propane burner type setup but it didn’t fit my needs. I mostly brew 3 gallon batches also and didn’t need all that fire power or extra equipment. I like the simplicity of these electric setups with internal mash tube. there are a lot of similar electric “mash and boil” setups out there so I can’t speak to comparing them but I chose the mash and boil mostly due to price point.  It’s been a no regret purchase. Since I don’t have a pump I just recirculate the mash from spigot every 15 minutes or so and my efficiency seems to be fine.  I didn’t buy the pump model because I figured it was one more thing that could potentially break and I could diy a pump in the future if I felt I needed it.  I’ve learned to tweak some of my calculations And processes for brew day using this setup. Electric is A great way to brew for these smaller batch sizes but I’ve also done 5.5 gallons without issue.  There are so many options and gadgets for brewing out there which is great. But it sounds like your brew goals are currently the same as mine. Keep it simple and minimize extra stuff to clean or store. Brewing for me is more fun that way. Hope this helps with your  decision.

Offline goldpanman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2020, 05:01:52 pm »
I decided recently to switch to all grain brewing but didn't want and didn't have the room for all the regular equipment that traditionally goes with that.  I purchased the Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil with Pump and just did my first brew a week ago.  I couldn't be happier with the setup.  It was so nice to be able to mash, sparge and boil all in one unit. The pump worked great and kept the mash at an even temperature.  Clean up was amazingly quick.   I did realize I have a lot of learning to do with all grain as opposed to extract but I'm glad I made the switch.  I just joined Home Brewer's Association so I can get feed back from all you guys.  I'm really looking forward to my next brew!

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 05:17:53 pm »
I decided recently to switch to all grain brewing but didn't want and didn't have the room for all the regular equipment that traditionally goes with that.  I purchased the Brewer's Edge Mash & Boil with Pump and just did my first brew a week ago.  I couldn't be happier with the setup.  It was so nice to be able to mash, sparge and boil all in one unit. The pump worked great and kept the mash at an even temperature.  Clean up was amazingly quick.   I did realize I have a lot of learning to do with all grain as opposed to extract but I'm glad I made the switch.  I just joined Home Brewer's Association so I can get feed back from all you guys.  I'm really looking forward to my next brew!
Welcome to the AHA and the forum. These systems definitely make mashing more approachable and let you concentrate on recipe and fermentation. Those are where the real magic (and mistakes) happen.

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 07:11:18 pm »
Welcome to the AHA and the forum. These systems definitely make mashing more approachable and let you concentrate on recipe and fermentation. Those are where the real magic (and mistakes) happen.

Thanks to the three of you, especially goldpanman and Zombiedad for your input! Very helpful.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2020, 02:22:03 pm »

Perhaps goldpanman or others could help with this question that percolated into my head, since my birthday is coming up and I am teetering on pulling the trigger on this purchase. How hard is it to lift the basket of wet grain out of the unit? Is it extremely heavy? Or just "good exertion" heavy? For comparison, I mash my 3-gallon brews in a 9-gallon cooler and can carry the cooler after I've drained the wort into the kettle (it's not pretty but I can do it) but I don't think I could lift the cooler with wort AND grain in it. My assumption is I'd put the Mash & Boil unit on a table about 20 - 22" high so I'd get some extra lift and to make it easier to work with it overall, since I'm short.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2020, 06:49:26 pm »

Perhaps goldpanman or others could help with this question that percolated into my head, since my birthday is coming up and I am teetering on pulling the trigger on this purchase. How hard is it to lift the basket of wet grain out of the unit? Is it extremely heavy? Or just "good exertion" heavy? For comparison, I mash my 3-gallon brews in a 9-gallon cooler and can carry the cooler after I've drained the wort into the kettle (it's not pretty but I can do it) but I don't think I could lift the cooler with wort AND grain in it. My assumption is I'd put the Mash & Boil unit on a table about 20 - 22" high so I'd get some extra lift and to make it easier to work with it overall, since I'm short.
I would say it is good exertion. While you are lifting and the malt tube is still partially submerged it is not very hard. It’s like a person in a swimming pool. They feel lighter when in the water. It gets more difficult breaking the last bit through the surface. Then you need to lift it up a few more inches and twist to set it in place.  That is the most exerting part and when you need the best leverage. The whole time you are lifting the wort is rapidly draining. 70-80% of the wort drains out as you lift.  So, you are not lifting all the malt and all the wort.

It’s best to have the boiler low to the ground to make the lifting process easier. You need to be above it for the best leverage.

PS. I am very fit. So, your mileage may vary.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2020, 07:05:53 pm »
Consider using a pulley hoist, like a deer hoist:

https://www.brewinabag.com/products/ratchet-pulley-1-4-metal-150-lbs

Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2020, 08:03:31 am »
How heavy?  Well, beside the weight of the grain, you also have about a gal. of water absorption for every 8 lb. of grain.  A gal. of water weighs roughly 8 lb. So you can figure out how much the basket will weigh.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline girthmccoy

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2020, 10:22:56 am »
I have the M&B without the pump, but added one on myself.

My rationale was that an external pump would like be a little more hearty of the long haul, would give me more flow control, and enable repair far easier than the internal pump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2020, 12:52:58 pm »
How heavy?  Well, beside the weight of the grain, you also have about a gal. of water absorption for every 8 lb. of grain.  A gal. of water weighs roughly 8 lb. So you can figure out how much the basket will weigh.

That's helpful. My last grain bill was 7 lbs, so if that's 1:1 (English major math at work...) then it would be ca. 14 pounds, plus the weight of the basket as well as the liquid draining out as I raise the basket. That's entirely doable. That bill had cane sugar added later, but even if I were doing, say, 10 lbs x 2, that's still less than our chubby cat, who I can lift, and is equal to a large box of cat litter. 
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2020, 12:56:47 pm »

That's helpful. My last grain bill was 7 lbs, so if that's 1:1 (English major math at work...) then it would be ca. 14 pounds, plus the weight of the basket as well as the liquid draining out as I raise the basket. That's entirely doable. That bill had cane sugar added later, but even if I were doing, say, 10 lbs x 2, that's still less than our chubby cat, who I can lift, and is equal to a large box of cat litter.

The cat litter metric...l can relate!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Ashley

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2020, 04:14:23 pm »
I’ve been using my Mash and Boil with a pump for a little over a year. I’ve probably done 20-25 brews, and couldn’t be happier. I previously used a 3 tier system, and moving to smaller house, this is perfect, as well as being very easy to clean its size is a huge bonus.

I previously used the pump for recirculating during the mash, but having just invested in a plate chiller, am wondering if the pump would handle pumping the wort through the chiller? Any ideas on temperature rating for it?

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 07:37:20 am »
I’ve been using my Mash and Boil with a pump for a little over a year. I’ve probably done 20-25 brews, and couldn’t be happier. I previously used a 3 tier system, and moving to smaller house, this is perfect, as well as being very easy to clean its size is a huge bonus.

I previously used the pump for recirculating during the mash, but having just invested in a plate chiller, am wondering if the pump would handle pumping the wort through the chiller? Any ideas on temperature rating for it?

I had a pump-related question that Brewer's Edge answered very promptly, so you might try emailing them at info@brewersedge.com. I'd be curious what the answer to this is as well because I use ice baths and have thought about moving to a plate chiller. (With water conservation being important where I live, I don't want to use an immersion chiller.) In their response they noted the pump is "It is a 6 watt pump with a polysulphone head."
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2020, 03:38:35 pm »
Picked up my Mash & Boil unit in early September but could not brew on it until today. I did do a test run with water several weeks ago. I brewed a rye IPA. It was going to be a 3-gallon batch, but I way overestimated the boil-off, so I am now waiting to pick up a bit of dry malt to adjust the brew. That aside, the brew day worked out fairly smoothly, and I'm really pleased with this purchase. It was easy to use and easy to clean.

I'm short (under 5') and the stand it is on isn't as low as I'd prefer (it is a cabinet I found on a nearby street with a "free" sign on it, so for the price it's pretty great). I ended up using a small stepstool to get high enough to pull the sparging basket out of the kettle. It took a little effort to lift the basket, but of course it got lighter as I lifted it, and was super easy to deal with once it had finished draining. I realized very quickly that I do not miss struggling with a cooler filled with wet grain.

The pump worked fine for a few minutes and then stuck. I turned it off and stirred the mash once or twice. My pre-boil numbers were exactly spot on. Maybe I didn't need to buy the version with the pump? But it's a fun toy so I'll keep playing with it.

The unit heated up to boiling faster than expected, even though I forgot to turn up the heat until after I finished the sparge, which would have sped things up more.

I like brewing in my new location (under a pavilion in the back yard). I have been brewing in my various kitchens for the most part for the last decade, with a few failed outdoor experiments with propane burners and so on. The Mash & Boil allows me to keep the brew effort out of the house and at the same level, with no stairs and just a quick few steps, to the fermenter fridge in the garage. If I needed to be nearer to the house, I could go on our deck. In other words, the portability is a big plus. A condenser unit could move this into the house, though it's never really cold enough to need to do that and the pavilion is big enough that I could be out there on a rainy day sipping my coffee and reading while I brew. I like hosing off the "kitchen" when I'm done.

This unit replaces two big items: an 8-gallon kettle with a ball valve, and a 9-gallon cooler with a plumbing supply strainer. I am not getting rid of them just yet, but their days are numbered.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member