Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: English malt extracts versus domestic extracts  (Read 1046 times)

Offline roguejim

• Brewer
English malt extracts versus domestic extracts
« on: September 02, 2010, 01:06:31 pm »
For the guys who want to brew English ales from extract(not me), would it be advisable for them to use the canned extracts from England versus the domestic bulk extract at the LHBS?  I mean, brewers tout marris otter/English pale malt for English ales.  So wouldn't it follow that English extracts would be required for a more authentic English ale? 

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: English malt extracts versus domestic extracts
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:48 pm »
Just because the can is from England doesn't mean they didn't use crap malt to make the extract.

If it says they used Maris Otter, then it isn't crap malt.  It tastes different, and has a flavor profile commonly associated with English beers.

I don't know how you can tell otherwise when it just says "malt extract" -- I guess you have to use it and see how it tastes.  Try the web sites or contact info from the manufacturer and see if they'll tell you what they use in it, but who is to say how it varies from batch to batch or year to year.

Most malt extract reminds me of the movie Repo Man with all the generic ingredients.  I'd just as much want to eat a can labeled "Food" as I would want to brew with something labeled "Malt extract".  Unless your goal is to just make something you plan on calling nothing more specific than "Beer".
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: English malt extracts versus domestic extracts
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 05:38:09 pm »
I had a friend who liked to buy the generic "Beer" back in the day.

Repo Man is a classic.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!