Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Looking for Sierra Nevada porter clone recipe  (Read 2646 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Looking for Sierra Nevada porter clone recipe
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 01:57:35 pm »
Any possibility of sharing the recipe?
Was just waiting for someone to ask! Here's exactly what they said...

Malts:
82.6% pale malt [apparently in breaking it down to homebrew scale they retained the narrow percentages - right on!]
9.4% Munich malt, 10 Lovibond
3.8% chocolate malt
3.8% crystal 60 L malt
0.4% Carafa special type 3, dehusked roasted malt
0.2% black malt

Mash in 60 minutes at 154F
Salts favor calcium chloride over calcium sulfate 2:1

Hops are currently Sterling at start of boil, and Aurora mid and late boil, hopping rates are light. (These can change from time to time believe it or not, depending on what we have to work with). No dry hops.

Target beer specs are
OG - 13.8 Plato
AE - 3.5 Plato
ABV - 5.6
IBU - 32
Color - 39 SRM
Awesome! Did they say anything about the yeast? I guess Chico?

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 02:30:59 pm »
Something is wrong with this recipe. I put it into BeerSmith 3 and I am only getting an SRM in the low 20s even with darkest chocolate malt at 500 L. The amounts of Carafa Special III and Black malt are not enough to add much color, and perhaps not much flavor, either. Scaled to a 5 gallon batch, they are about 1 oz of Carafa Special III and 0.5 oz of Black malt. I suspect that those quantities should be higher.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 03:08:17 pm »
What I included above is the totality of their email EXACTLY as sent, other than the niceties of "Thanks for getting in touch" and "Good luck and happy brewing!"
I'm going to assume the Chico SN yeast strain - they did not specify strain, nor did they specify fermentation temp.
And yes I too spotted the problem with plugging it into Beersmith and getting a lighter SRM than they cite. I will likely be using 2 oz of carafa and 1 oz of black malt and the dark chocolate malt I have available at the LHBS is 400L.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 03:33:15 pm »
What I included above is the totality of their email EXACTLY as sent, other than the niceties of "Thanks for getting in touch" and "Good luck and happy brewing!"
I'm going to assume the Chico SN yeast strain - they did not specify strain, nor did they specify fermentation temp.
And yes I too spotted the problem with plugging it into Beersmith and getting a lighter SRM than they cite. I will likely be using 2 oz of carafa and 1 oz of black malt and the dark chocolate malt I have available at the LHBS is 400L.
OK. Good luck and happy brewing!
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's