Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: BBQ Sauces  (Read 11939 times)

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: BBQ Sauces
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2010, 02:07:24 pm »
Anyone eat em nekked? The BBQ not you! I know this is a sauce thread, but done right - salt and smoke are sometimes enough.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2010, 02:17:57 pm »
Anyone eat em nekked? The BBQ not you! I know this is a sauce thread, but done right - salt and smoke are sometimes enough.

Not quite that naked, smoke and a good dry rub (so, a little more than just salt) can do the trick, though.
Joe

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2010, 01:16:50 pm »
I do find many of the more widely distributed commercial sauces to be too sweet for me.  It's been a while since I've tried Sweet Baby Ray's but seem to recall it a little sweet for me.  My personal sauce preferences lean towards spicy/tangy though.

I grew up with Open Pit (and remember the original Brooks Ketchup formula) but our "BBQ" then was really grilling.  Now that I've started cooking low-n-slow BBQ, I still like to use it as a base for some of my home-made sauces (or as a ketchup substitute for fries).

On pulled pork, I like a mustard/vinegar sauce.
On ribs, either Memphis style dry or just a light glaze cooked in at the end.
On brisket, generally plain or possibly just a touch of sauce.

Offline mikeypedersen

• Brewer
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2010, 08:21:00 am »
For store-bought, un-doctored sauce, anyone ever try the Mendencino Red Tail Ale BBQ sauce.  It's probably my favorite one so far, I was surprised to see it for sale at a regular grocery store here in Colorado.  Granted I haven't tried this Sweet Baby Ray's yet, but it was really good.

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2010, 09:35:10 am »

I usually go plain too, but I'm making a brisket in two weeks and I'd like to have some sort of sauce on the side for those who want it.  Anyone have a good recipe for sauce that goes well with brisket?  I'm also gonna make a meatloaf this weekend, so I'd like to make the sauce this weekend as a test run.

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2010, 06:56:09 pm »
I'm from KC so there's a bias of course, but for storebought, Gates is hard to beat...an oasis in a desert of corn-syrupy, sugary sauces more aptly described as BBQ paste.

I like the sweet cliched BBQ sauce popularized by KC Masterpiece (I hate that our city's name is affixed to that and affects the national conception of KC BBQ, which is quite unlike that commercial creation) and McDonalds with their chicken nuggets enough, yes, but for good smoked meat, I like a sauce with more complexity than sugar.

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: June 15, 2010, 08:20:09 pm »

I usually go plain too, but I'm making a brisket in two weeks and I'd like to have some sort of sauce on the side for those who want it.  Anyone have a good recipe for sauce that goes well with brisket?  I'm also gonna make a meatloaf this weekend, so I'd like to make the sauce this weekend as a test run.

Check out some honey salsa recipes online. I never would have thought of it, ordered some tacos in Mexico and it came with this stuff. Without smelling or tasting it I loaded up the tacos, and first bite was weird, but I ate the whole gravy boat full of the stuff. Sounds strange, tastes incredible.
The moral majority, is neither.

Offline joelambic

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2010, 12:52:36 am »

I don't have the recipe for my last batch of sauce handy but would recommend checking out some of the sauce recipes at the Virtual Weber Bulletin Board site. http://tvwbb.com/eve/forums/a/frm/f/1980069052

Offline garc_mall

• Brewmaster
  • [1892.9, 294.9deg] AR Lynnwood, WA
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2012, 04:25:50 pm »
Resurrecting this topic since I am making a giant batch of BBQ sauce this weekend.

Here is the current plan.

2 onions
2 green bell peppers
1 red bell pepper

Take the bell peppers, cut them in half, skin side up for 30mins at 425, flip, 20 more mins.

start caramelizing the onions after the flip (I used some bacon/beef fat), let the peppers cool down so you can remove the skin. Make sure you also deglaze the pan you roasted them peppers in.

as the onions start getting caramelized and the pan dries out, add a bit of apple cider vinegar to keep it all smooth.

1 Tbsp plus of Minced garlic
1 tbsp or so of minced chili pepper.

half a bottle of ketchup
(yeah, once I learn to make my own, I will)
Soy Sauce

Apple Cider Vinegar and dark brown sugar to taste.

for spices, I like Cayenne, chili powder, and a large dose of Korean Chile flakes.

I can use it like a KC barbecue sauce (though it is usually more tangy/spicy like a texas style)

or I thin it out with half and half AC Vinegar and Water and use that as a mop sauce.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
BBQ Sauces
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2012, 07:15:56 pm »
Sounds like a great recipe!

I am a sauce aficionado. I'm a believer in the adage that "the sauce is the boss". A great sauce really is the icing on the cake, if you will. I think the best sauces are all about balance. Balancing the spices, sweetness and acidity are key to the best possible sauces. However you plan to produce a sauce, just think about how the recipe will balance itself in the end, and you will be off to a great start.
Ron Price

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2012, 09:29:46 am »
I've got a couple brisket going on this weekend, feel free to send me some of that sauce you're making and I'll let you know how it is  ;)

I've asked this elsewhere but for brisket, should I go sauced or unsauced?  I have a couple bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's but only cause someone said it was good, never tried it.  Personally, I have a low tolerance for acid and I'm not much of a sauce person (I even prefer chicken wings just breaded and seasoned with a little salt and pepper).  I don't think I have any bourbon to add to the SBR's sauce either. 

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2012, 09:34:33 am »
I've got a couple brisket going on this weekend, feel free to send me some of that sauce you're making and I'll let you know how it is  ;)

I've asked this elsewhere but for brisket, should I go sauced or unsauced?  I have a couple bottles of Sweet Baby Ray's but only cause someone said it was good, never tried it.  Personally, I have a low tolerance for acid and I'm not much of a sauce person (I even prefer chicken wings just breaded and seasoned with a little salt and pepper).  I don't think I have any bourbon to add to the SBR's sauce either.

Just a personal preference I guess but I'm not a fan of tomato based BBQ sauce on brisket. I do like to make an Au Jus type of sauce with beef broth, caramelized onions and a few other spices. A little, very little, tomato based BBQ sauce with the Au Jus can give it a "special" zing too.  Cheers!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2012, 10:11:58 am »
Sauce on the side! Sauce on the side! Especially with brisket.

I sauce my BBQ chicken at the end to caramelize it a bit. Was raised that way but Dad's would be black by the time it came off the pit. I do a better job despite being sentimental.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline thebigbaker

• Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2012, 10:21:17 am »

I sauce my BBQ chicken at the end to caramelize it a bit. Was raised that way but Dad's would be black by the time it came off the pit. I do a better job despite being sentimental.

+1,000!  Sauce on the side.  BBQ at home w/ friends and family over, sauce is always on the side, for everything. I will usually make 3-4 different types of sauces so everyone can choose what sauce(s) to use on their meats.   Now, for competitions, that's a different story. 

Sweet Baby Rays is a great sauce and I will snatch some up when they are on sale at my grocery store, which with coupons I can get free sometimes!
Jeremy Baker

"An escalator can never break: it can only become stairs. You should never see an Escalator Temporarily Out Of Order sign, just Escalator Temporarily Stairs. Sorry for the convenience." - Mitch Hedberg

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2012, 10:43:28 am »

+1

No sauce for the brisket while smoking but...in addition to saucing babybacks while smoking, I'll also serve them with some sauce on the side.
Ron Price