Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast Yield  (Read 2440 times)

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Yeast Yield
« on: September 02, 2010, 12:48:14 pm »
Forgive me if this has been covered elsewhere.  Which yields more yeast cells, a single 4 liter starter, or 2 2liter steps with a chill and decant in between?  This is assuming using a stir plate.

Tom?
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Yeast Yield
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:40 pm »
That I don't know without testing :)

Theoretically it'd be the same, assuming you have sufficient O2 and the same amount of sugar.  But that doesn't mean that's how it would turn out.  I could imagine reasons for it to go either way.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2010, 01:13:21 pm »
Using the 4 liter starter, would there be an advantage to hitting the starter with a minute of pure O2 daily.  I use 6000ml Erlenmeyer flasks with a foil cap.
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

narvin

« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2010, 01:26:17 pm »
Wyeast gives a distinct advantage to 2-step starters.

http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_pitchrate.cfm

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2010, 01:30:08 pm »
There was a thread on this a little while ago that discussed this (and also linked to that Wyeast calculator as well)

http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=2534.msg29558#msg29558

My understanding from this and other sources is that multi-step starters do produce more growth.  Taking it a step farther, from the discussions and sources I've seen I've gleaned that identical volume multi-step starters will give you more yeast.  So if you do a gallon starter, chill, decant and do another gallon you'll end up with an increased cell count, the growth rate is just lower.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:02 pm »

Is that calculator assuming 100% viability?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2010, 10:25:36 pm »

I must be doing it wrong, because when I use a single step 1-gallon starter with a stir plate it tells me the final concentration in that starter is 121.69 million cells per ml.  When I do two steps that are each .5 gallons, it tells me it's at 90.15 million cells per ml.  Same total volume, more cells in the single step than the 2-step.  Am I missing something?  Also, the calculator is not decanting in between pitching, it is assuming you are adding more wort.  Anyway, based on how I'm using the calculator the 2-step seems to be at a disadvantage.  What am I doing wrong?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline tygo

• Sterling, VA
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2010, 06:13:19 am »
Yeah, you're right.  That's interesting.  But try doing a three step starter using a stirplate at 0.5 gallons, 1 gallon, and 1 gallon.  You get 90.65 million cells/ml.  If you put in a single 2.5 gallon starter you get 72.37.

It's not a very useful practical calculator since, as you point out, it doesn't allow for decanting.  But interesting as an example.  If I could find a good source for growth rate functions I think I could build a spreadsheet to approximate the cell counts.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2010, 09:48:23 am »
I must be doing it wrong, because when I use a single step 1-gallon starter with a stir plate it tells me the final concentration in that starter is 121.69 million cells per ml.  When I do two steps that are each .5 gallons, it tells me it's at 90.15 million cells per ml.  Same total volume, more cells in the single step than the 2-step.  Am I missing something?  Also, the calculator is not decanting in between pitching, it is assuming you are adding more wort.  Anyway, based on how I'm using the calculator the 2-step seems to be at a disadvantage.  What am I doing wrong?

Maybe you're not doing anything wrong.  Maybe it's time to email Greg and ask him what's up?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2010, 10:26:24 am »
Maybe you're not doing anything wrong.  Maybe it's time to email Greg and ask him what's up?
I think you're right, there seems to be a mistake in the formula they are using.  When I use a 1 gallon single step starter, the second step says 121.69 M cells/ml.  If the second step adds 0.1 gallons and you add that to 5 gallons of wort the total volume is 6.1 gallons with 16.26 M cells/ml.  But if instead you use 0.0001 gallons for the second step, your final volume is 6.0001 with just 0.83 M cells/ml.  That can't be right.  I'll email Greg.
Tom Schmidlin