Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: WY vs WL  (Read 2998 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
WY vs WL
« on: October 24, 2020, 09:19:28 am »
I have been mostly only using white labs products since I got back into brewing. Was wondering if anyone has any commentary to weigh in on the subject of WY strains vs WL strains good bad or indifferent?

I brew mostly Alt-biers hefes and English style beers and the tragically underrated kentucky common dark

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: WY vs WL
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 10:03:24 am »
I generally prefer Wyeast.  That's at least partially because it's made a couple hours from here and I oftejj get packs dated a day or 2 before.  I also prefer s several of their strains, especially for alt and APA/A IPA.  But that's not to say that White doesn't have some very good products, also.  They both and see which you prefer, because it's all about your own preferences, not someone else's.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2020, 10:25:56 am »
I forgot the White labs number for their "london fog" but that was one I definitely didn't like. I recently did a northern brown. With WLP002 and pulled a sample very satisfied with it. Might do a 10 gallon batch and do a little side by side comparison

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2020, 10:44:46 am »
Wyeast, hands down winner in my experience.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2020, 11:28:39 am »
Wyeast tends to offer some year round strains that I like that White Labs either doesn't have or only offers seasonally, such as 1469 and 1762. I also like the smack pack packaging as piece of mind, since I mail order most of my liquid yeast. All that said, I've never had bad results with White Labs and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them either.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2020, 11:52:21 am »
I used White Labs exclusively for many years.  I actually loved their old capped tube containers, fortunately I saved dozens and still put them to good use.

That being said, more recently I much prefer the Wyeast smack pack advantage, where I know for sure days in advance whether my yeast is alive or whether I might need to buy some more.  So now if I can get Wyeast at a good price (they are all competitive now), I'll tend to go that direction for my liquid yeast needs.

And THAT being said..... I still find the dried yeast advantages to outweigh all this, and I use dried yeasts about 90% of the time.  Sometimes there just isn't a good dried yeast available though, so then I'll get liquid.

On a recent batch I bought White Labs, so I still get whatever is fresh and available.  But given two fresh packs White Labs vs. Wyeast, I'll tend to lean towards Wyeast now.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2020, 11:57:16 am »
Try Omega yeast.  I've used their British V in a lot of beers and it is an animal.
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2020, 12:28:25 pm »
Awesome! Reason I ask is I see more WY yeast mentioned on forums and websites then I do White labs, definitely looking for a different here strain then the usual from white labs

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2020, 01:41:41 pm »
Imperial Organic Pub and Bell's, Omega Lutra, and several dry yeast are I'm my fridge.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2020, 02:01:42 pm »
I brew a lot of 3-4% beers and it’s very handy using wyeast because if it swells within hours, I’m happy to pitch without making a starter at lower gravities ( sub 1.040 ). I’m in Australia but some brew shops get them fairly fresh considering the journey.

But I’ll happily use whitelabs as well
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 02:03:05 pm »
I brew a lot of 3-4% beers and it’s very handy using wyeast because if it swells within hours, I’m happy to pitch without making a starter at lower gravities ( sub 1.040 ). I’m in Australia but some brew shops get them fairly fresh considering the journey.

Hey beerfan I take it since your in australia you also no chill brew? I just did two no chill batches and am super psyched they worked out. ( My ground water temp here isn't optimal to efficiently chill my wort down !

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2020, 02:08:34 pm »

Hey beerfan I take it since your in australia you also no chill brew? I just did two no chill batches and am super psyched they worked out. ( My ground water temp here isn't optimal to efficiently chill my wort down !

Yeah mate, no chill. I have a water tank on order so I might give chilling another go, it’s been over a decade since I chilled, but with a water tank there’s no wastage, I’ll just pump back into the tank. Though I’ve been quite happy with no chill, even hoppy beers can be done quite well. To be honest, my favourite hopping schedule is just a bittering addition and then a dry hop.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2020, 02:12:00 pm »

Yeah mate, no chill. I have a water tank on order so I might give chilling another go, it’s been over a decade since I chilled, but with a water tank there’s no wastage, I’ll just pump back into the tank. Though I’ve been quite happy with no chill, even hoppy beers can be done quite well. To be honest, my favourite hopping schedule is just a bittering addition and then a dry hop.
Right on, it's getting to be winter here in Pennsylvania and the temps will be dropping. You have any experience lagering with the no chill method?

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2020, 02:14:07 pm »
Summers almost here for us, the kviek strains mean I can brew lager in the fermenting fridge, while I brew a kviek ale in the hit garage with a heat belt haha, so odd!

Lagering in the cube?  Do you mean using the cube as a secondary to lager in?
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 02:16:24 pm by BeerfanOz »

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2020, 02:14:47 pm »
As far as getting the wort down to pitching temperature for a lager yeast in the cube