Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Lallemand Diamond Lager vs. Fermentis S-189 or W-34/70  (Read 7751 times)

Offline Silver_Is_Money

• Brewer
  • Developer of 'Mash Made Easy'
    • Mash Made Easy, MashRite, LLC
Lallemand Diamond Lager vs. Fermentis S-189 or W-34/70
« on: October 25, 2020, 04:01:08 pm »
I've generally had decent success with the Fermentis lager yeasts mentioned in the subject line (I've yet to try S-23), but my LHBS has them priced in the mid $8's per pack at present, whereas Label Peelers presently has Diamond Lager on sale at $4.97 per pack combined with free shipping.  I have a Dortmunder Export on deck and was going to use S-189, but I always pitch 2 packs, and the $4.97 with free shipping price for the Diamond got my attention at only $9.94 for two packs.  And now I'm having second thoughts.  I've never used the Lallemand lager yeast.  Should I bite the bullet and buy the S-189, or go with the Diamond?
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 04:02:49 pm by Silver_Is_Money »

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Lallemand Diamond Lager vs. Fermentis S-189 or W-34/70
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 04:36:48 pm »
I haven't used Diamond yet myself, but have heard very good things about it.  I will be trying it soon.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 05:49:16 pm »
Diamond is much like 34/70, it might clear a little better. I had a Pils split between S-189 and Diamond. Diamond was better in the Pils. I had a Rauchbier split S-189 and 34/70. Preferred the S-189 in that beer style as the malt flavor come through more, and it had better mouth feel.

S-189 better for malty
Diamond 34/70 better for a dry finish.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 06:12:06 pm »
I used Diamond Lager yeast this summer to brew a Helles and it turned out great. It started a bit slower than 34/70 but it produced a nice beer. I'll brew a Munich Dunkel with S189 I think its better for malty beers too.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 07:59:17 pm by purduekenn »

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 06:55:24 pm »
I have used Diamond Lager yeast several times. I like it. It is similar to 34/70 which I think works well in all Pilsner type beers.

Offline Ellismr

• Assistant Brewer
Lallemand Diamond Lager vs. Fermentis S-189 or W-34/70
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 03:58:52 am »
If you’re not opposed to paying for shipping Hop craft supply in Michigan still sells fermentis products for the $4.99 each and you can pick up a lot of stuff there and they’re shipping out of state less than 25 pounds is $8 for priority mail. 

I have used the diamond Lager strain and it is very similar to 30/70.  I use the S 23 strain in lager that is a little more malt forward such as a Bock, Helles, or dunkel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
« Last Edit: October 26, 2020, 04:01:47 am by Ellismr »
Brew what you like & brew often.

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2020, 04:54:24 am »
RiteBrew.com in Wisconsin has 34/70 for $4.79 and their first class shipping is fair. They have good prices. I recently ordered grain and other items and I got my order delivered to Kentucky in 3 days!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2020, 11:42:47 am »
RiteBrew.com in Wisconsin has 34/70 for $4.79 and their first class shipping is fair. They have good prices. I recently ordered grain and other items and I got my order delivered to Kentucky in 3 days!
I just discovered them myself and placed my first order with them today. It was shipped within a couple of hours. They seem to have a good selection and good prices as well. Shipping wasn't free, but it was very reasonable given the lower prices they charged. I saw a Grainfather conical in their clearance section for $300

Back to the original post, I haven't used Diamond yet, but I have some in my fridge that I will be using for my spring lagers. I like both 34/70 and S-189 quite a bit. I've started using 34/70 for pressurized fermentations, and it makes a clean beer fast. My only issue is that it doesn't clear as quickly as I'd like. If Diamond performs as well as 34/70, but drops bright quicker, then it will likely become my go-to lager yeast.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2020, 12:28:03 pm »
If you’re not opposed to paying for shipping Hop craft supply in Michigan still sells fermentis products for the $4.99 each and you can pick up a lot of stuff there and they’re shipping out of state less than 25 pounds is $8 for priority mail. 

I have used the diamond Lager strain and it is very similar to 30/70.  I use the S 23 strain in lager that is a little more malt forward such as a Bock, Helles, or dunkel. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I will also vouch for Hop Craft. They have a good selection of grains, too, if I want something Adventures doesn't handle. Think old style hardware store vs a big box store (stuff has to move, can't take up space). Was $5 in state shipping for me.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2020, 03:10:13 pm »
Ritebrew is excellent.

Last summer I made a bunch of lagers with the Diamond yeast.  I thought it made very good beers.  I have also used S-189 which I consider to have less character than Diamond... the beers were "cleaner" for better or worse.  I also used to keep S-23 around for emergencies and I once made an English Ale where I was going to use harvested 1028 but the prior beer was somehow contaminated so now I had English Ale wort but no yeast so... I used S-23 and made an English Lager!  :D  That was quite a few years ago and I have no recollection about the yeast itself other than it saved my batch.  Also, I love 2124 but I have never used 34/70 which is a supposed to be a dry version of 2124.  If Diamond is similar to 34/70 then that's close enough for me.  I just received a packet of Diamond to keep onhand and also a pack of BRY-97 since I have never tried it. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2020, 04:04:17 pm »
Ritebrew is excellent.

Last summer I made a bunch of lagers with the Diamond yeast.  I thought it made very good beers.  I have also used S-189 which I consider to have less character than Diamond... the beers were "cleaner" for better or worse.  I also used to keep S-23 around for emergencies and I once made an English Ale where I was going to use harvested 1028 but the prior beer was somehow contaminated so now I had English Ale wort but no yeast so... I used S-23 and made an English Lager!  :D  That was quite a few years ago and I have no recollection about the yeast itself other than it saved my batch.  Also, I love 2124 but I have never used 34/70 which is a supposed to be a dry version of 2124.  If Diamond is similar to 34/70 then that's close enough for me.  I just received a packet of Diamond to keep onhand and also a pack of BRY-97 since I have never tried it.

I love BRY97.  It's become my American gop to when I make large batches, so I din't have to make multiple starters.

Many years ago Chumley, who posts here sometimes, sent me a bottle of my BVIP recipe made with S-23.  He knew I hated it.  In that beer, it was fantastic.  He got me.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2020, 04:04:37 pm »
I just purchased a bunch of dry yeast from RiteBrew in preparation for finally finishing my new brew house.  What is holding me back is that I am in "pay as I go" mode, which means that my brew house build is being funded out of monthly discretionary income.  I still need to purchase a keg refrigerator, a fermentation chamber, and a 240V induction cook top.  I have my eye on a new 3500W induction cook top by Eurodib called the SWI3500.  It is a monster compared to current 240VAC offerings. The induction hob is large enough for a 14" wide kettle to side directly on the glass.  It has five cooling fans.  Most of the other 3500W cook tops have two cooling fans.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2020, 04:13:02 pm »
Ritebrew is excellent.

I love BRY97.  It's become my American gop to when I make large batches, so I din't have to make multiple starters.

Many years ago Chumley, who posts here sometimes, sent me a bottle of my BVIP recipe made with S-23.  He knew I hated it.  In that beer, it was fantastic.  He got me.
I can't remember where I was reading about BRY-97 (maybe here) but there seemed to be a lot of good news.  When I make ales (which might be less than 25% of the time), I use a lot of 1056, White Labs 01 and the occasional English strain (I have 1968 on order now) so BRY-97 seemed like a logical choice for a dry ale yeast.  Denny IIRC, you and I both dislike US-05.  I have gotten that peachy-apricot character from it and I swore never again so that's another sign that BRY-97 might be a good choice. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2020, 04:52:46 pm »
I have started pitching 1 pack each of 189 and 34/70 in my lagers.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2020, 05:14:45 pm »
I have started pitching 1 pack each of 189 and 34/70 in my lagers.

I had thought about that, how do you like it?
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild