Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mt. Hood Hops  (Read 2305 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Mt. Hood Hops
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2020, 11:37:57 am »
What I've found to work really well is a combo of German(ish) and American hops.  Mt. Hood and Columbus. Tettnang and Cascade.
I know some people who would say, "You're covering up your beautiful Tettnanger hops with CASCADE?!?:P
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2020, 12:01:19 pm »
What I've found to work really well is a combo of German(ish) and American hops.  Mt. Hood and Columbus. Tettnang and Cascade.
I know some people who would say, "You're covering up your beautiful Tettnanger hops with CASCADE?!?:P

I'd tell them "No, I'm enhancing my beautiful Tettnang hops with Cascade."
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2020, 12:22:40 pm »
I have made a few with Stirling for bittering, Saaz late.

From my old memory bank.
American Hop. - Noble parent. (HMf=Hallertau Mittelfrüh)

Stirling - Saaz
Santium - Tettnang
Mit. Hood - HMf
Liberty -HMf
Vangaurd-HMf
Ultra-HMf

US Tettnang = Fuggles. DNA testing
I like that list.  I know that hops like Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, etc. are all the rage but I almost always have [what I call] clean, American hops on hand.  Liberty, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Ultra, Santiam, Sterling, Vanguard, Glacier and even US Goldings.  I generally don't use them to sub for Noble hops in lagers but they could certainly be used that way.  I typically use them in pale ales, ambers, reds, blondes, etc.

Forgot one I have used often, you jogged my memory.

Crystal - HMf
Columbia -HMf

Those turned out a little fruity for the brewers back then.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2020, 10:14:48 am »

From my old memory bank.

Stirling - Saaz
Santium - Tettnang
Mit. Hood - HMf
Liberty -HMf
Vangaurd-HMf
Ultra-HMf

I like that list.  I know that hops like Amarillo, Citra, Mosaic, etc. are all the rage but I almost always have [what I call] clean, American hops on hand.  Liberty, Crystal, Mt. Hood, Ultra, Santiam, Sterling, Vanguard, Glacier and even US Goldings.  I generally don't use them to sub for Noble hops in lagers but they could certainly be used that way.  I typically use them in pale ales, ambers, reds, blondes, etc.

Crystal - HMf
Columbia -HMf

It always surprises me when Crystal is mentioned in the same vein as Mt. Hood and Libery. To my palette Crystal has a distinct american hop aroma and flavor that distinguishes it from the other 3. Its a lovely hop, its just not interchangeable as a HMF sub like I feel Mt Hood and Libery are

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2020, 02:51:15 pm »

From my old memory bank.

Stirling - Saaz
Santium - Tettnang
Mit. Hood - HMf
Liberty -HMf
Vangaurd-HMf
Ultra-HMf

Crystal - HMf
Columbia -HMf

It always surprises me when Crystal is mentioned in the same vein as Mt. Hood and Libery. To my palette Crystal has a distinct american hop aroma and flavor that distinguishes it from the other 3. Its a lovely hop, its just not interchangeable as a HMF sub like I feel Mt Hood and Libery are
Half sister, to Mt. Hood, Liberty, and Ultra. It has more American character.

https://learn.kegerator.com/crystal-hops/
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2020, 05:40:14 pm »

From my old memory bank.

Stirling - Saaz
Santium - Tettnang
Mit. Hood - HMf
Liberty -HMf
Vangaurd-HMf
Ultra-HMf

Crystal - HMf
Columbia -HMf

One thing I've noticed that may or may not be related is that Crystal seems to have a lower AA% than many of the other US-bred hops with noble parentage, at least in my experience. This means you need to use more hops for the same amount of IBU's compared to something like Mt Hood or Ultra. I certainly pick up more american hop character from Crystal, but is it because I'm using more? I know that Sterling tastes a lot like Saaz at my typical lager hopping rates and schedules, but it gets a lemonade character when used at higher rates in an APA. Could it be that a similar character is present in all of the hops in this family, but you just need higher hopping rates to bring it out?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2020, 05:43:15 pm »

From my old memory bank.

Stirling - Saaz
Santium - Tettnang
Mit. Hood - HMf
Liberty -HMf
Vangaurd-HMf
Ultra-HMf

Crystal - HMf
Columbia -HMf

One thing I've noticed that may or may not be related is that Crystal seems to have a lower AA% than many of the other US-bred hops with noble parentage, at least in my experience. This means you need to use more hops for the same amount of IBU's compared to something like Mt Hood or Ultra. I certainly pick up more american hop character from Crystal, but is it because I'm using more? I know that Sterling tastes a lot like Saaz at my typical lager hopping rates and schedules, but it gets a lemonade character when used at higher rates in an APA. Could it be that a similar character is present in all of the hops in this family, but you just need higher hopping rates to bring it out?

even when used at the same rate as an aroma hop and use a high AA hop for bittering, I still get more american hop character.