Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider to vinegar  (Read 861 times)

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
Cider to vinegar
« on: November 16, 2020, 06:04:32 pm »
Has anyone had a hard cider they didn't really like the taste of and turned out into vinegar and it tastes good? Is this even possible?

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Cider to vinegar
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:22:34 pm »
I used a batch that I didn't like and bottled it into some swing tops and use it for marinade and spritzing my meats in my smoker

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 07:05:05 pm »
Here's some chicken and ribs, I sprayee the ribs with it and also added some when I wrapped em for two hours did the same with the chicken.

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 07:49:06 pm »
Here's some chicken and ribs, I sprayee the ribs with it and also added some when I wrapped em for two hours did the same with the chicken.

They look good

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2020, 07:50:21 pm »
Thank you, I think you'll like cooking with your cider if you don't like drinking it. Also apples are an awesome addition and requirement in lots of german cuisine. Which happens to pair great with beer. I can't eat raw apples so the cider is my substitute.

Offline ahgrafx

• Cellarman
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2020, 11:32:24 pm »
Thank you, I think you'll like cooking with your cider if you don't like drinking it. Also apples are an awesome addition and requirement in lots of german cuisine. Which happens to pair great with beer. I can't eat raw apples so the cider is my substitute.

That's interesting I'm not really suppose to eat raw apples either. Do you mind me asking why?

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2020, 01:20:55 am »
The easiest way I've found is to add about 1/4 cup of organic apple cider vinegar with mother to a gallon of fermented cider. Cover the vessel with cheese cloth and put in a dark place for about 2 months. (the taste will tell you when it's done) Room temperature works fine for this. A SCOBY will form and grow under the surface. Transfer the vinegar from under the SCOBY to bottle. The SCOBY can be saved in a jar, covered with some of the vinegar and stored in the fridge for future use.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2020, 04:59:52 am »

That's interesting I'm not really suppose to eat raw apples either. Do you mind me asking why?

Oral Allergy syndrome, my better half is a doctor and she says that it is an allergic reaction to fruit trees that have flowers on them