Author Topic: Attempting to get less trub in the fermenter...  (Read 10819 times)

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
Re: Attempting to get less trub in the fermenter...
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2020, 09:09:03 am »
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources/CraftBrewing/PDFs/Brewing_Processes_and_Techniques/ClearBeerTechnology.pdf
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources/CraftBrewing/PDFs/Brewing_Processes_and_Techniques/KettleOptimizaInstructions.pdf

Have you taken a look at your whirlfloc dosing rate? A higher dose will give you more sediment volume without an improvement in clarity based on what I've read. Wort pH and gravity (I believe, can't remember where I found that) are supposed to be a factor.  The whirlfloc tablets are supposed to be for 1 per 15.5 gallons of 10 plato (1.040) wort, so that might be contributing. This is one of those things I keep on meaning to do someday when I have an extra 30 minutes on brewday.

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2020, 09:15:20 am »
was going to immediately suggest a hop spider, but i see you have one?

ive had issues before where i got something that was too small since it was cheaper, and basically ineffective. how big is the hop spider?

mine has cleared up my trub immensely, i would never not use one again.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #32 on: October 29, 2020, 09:17:42 am »
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources/CraftBrewing/PDFs/Brewing_Processes_and_Techniques/ClearBeerTechnology.pdf
https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources/CraftBrewing/PDFs/Brewing_Processes_and_Techniques/KettleOptimizaInstructions.pdf

Have you taken a look at your whirlfloc dosing rate? A higher dose will give you more sediment volume without an improvement in clarity based on what I've read. Wort pH and gravity (I believe, can't remember where I found that) are supposed to be a factor.  The whirlfloc tablets are supposed to be for 1 per 15.5 gallons of 10 plato (1.040) wort, so that might be contributing. This is one of those things I keep on meaning to do someday when I have an extra 30 minutes on brewday.

When I contacted the manufacturers yeasragol I was told the proper dose was one tab per 12 gal.  No ,mention was made of gravity.  They also said to add it 5 min. Before end of boil.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #33 on: October 29, 2020, 09:24:13 am »
Mmm, I could see whirfloc adding a lot of schputz to the kettle.  That little tablet seems to explode with gunk.  I have been using 1 tablet per batch so maybe cut that in half on this weekend's batch?  And yes I do have a hop spider.  It's very tall.  About as tall as my kettle.  Some amount of hop schputz (hey, I used schputz twice in one post :P) still gets out into the wort but a good amount of it is caught.  Guys, thanks for the thoughts... the whirfloc thing has me intrigued. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #34 on: October 29, 2020, 09:30:47 am »
Mmm, I could see whirfloc adding a lot of schputz to the kettle.  That little tablet seems to explode with gunk.  I have been using 1 tablet per batch so maybe cut that in half on this weekend's batch?  And yes I do have a hop spider.  It's very tall.  About as tall as my kettle.  Some amount of hop schputz (hey, I used schputz twice in one post :P) still gets out into the wort but a good amount of it is caught.  Guys, thanks for the thoughts... the whirfloc thing has me intrigued.

Yeah, using less would be a good idea. It will also save you a bit of money.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #35 on: October 29, 2020, 09:38:31 am »

Should I try to karate chop the tablet in half?  :D  I know that when I try to get a half of a tablet I will get crumbs and dust.  But I agree that it would double my supply and I'm always concerned about keeping whirfloc around for when I need it.

I'll take this opportunity to say that I did not mean to turn this thread into another LO pissing contest.  Jeebus knows that we do not need that here.  I was just mentioning the source of my need to block out trub in the kettle and fermenter.  My apologies. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Attempting to get less trub in the fermenter...
« Reply #36 on: October 29, 2020, 09:43:06 am »
... it certainly seems there is much more than what meets the eye. ...

I agree. There does seem to be more going on than meets the eye. I thought my account of the situation could easily be verified. Since my account there has been inactivated I cannot defend myself. C'est la vie.

I certainly didn’t know anyone was banned from this site. That’s a shame. I’ve always said they’re smart guys but their PR sux.

...the source of my need to block out trub in the kettle and fermenter.  ...

I also shoot for clear wort into the kettle and FV because I picked it up from the LODO guys. I use a lot of their techniques with pretty good results.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 09:52:16 am by BrewBama »

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #37 on: October 29, 2020, 09:49:00 am »
... it certainly seems there is much more than what meets the eye. ...

I agree. There does seem to be more going on than meets the eye. I thought my account of the situation could easily be verified. Since my account there has been inactivated I cannot defend myself. C'est la vie.

I certainly didn’t know anyone was banned from this site. That’s a shame. I’ve always said they’re smart guys but their PR sux.

My account over there was also deactivated.  More than once, actually.  No explanation and no cause.  I was on my best behavior over there and thanked the people who helped me profusely and still... shenanigans with my account.  I was then asked to pay a monthly fee to rejoin which is how I left it. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #38 on: October 29, 2020, 10:01:35 am »

Should I try to karate chop the tablet in half?  :D  I know that when I try to get a half of a tablet I will get crumbs and dust.  But I agree that it would double my supply and I'm always concerned about keeping whirfloc around for when I need it.

I'll take this opportunity to say that I did not mean to turn this thread into another LO pissing contest.  Jeebus knows that we do not need that here.  I was just mentioning the source of my need to block out trub in the kettle and fermenter.  My apologies.

I use a sharp pocket knife

www.dennybrew.com

Offline fredthecat

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: October 29, 2020, 10:02:25 am »

Should I try to karate chop the tablet in half?  :D  I know that when I try to get a half of a tablet I will get crumbs and dust. 

i use a big kitchen knife and press hard

Offline TANSTAAFB

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #40 on: October 29, 2020, 10:04:45 am »
Pill cutter works great. I chop em all up and toss em back in the baggie/ bottle

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #41 on: October 29, 2020, 10:10:10 am »
I just use the whole tablet. I didn’t think it was an issue but may have to revisit that decision.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #42 on: October 29, 2020, 10:14:40 am »

When I contacted the manufacturers yeasragol I was told the proper dose was one tab per 12 gal.  No ,mention was made of gravity.  They also said to add it 5 min. Before end of boil.

Their website (BSG) says 2/BBL, maybe it's changed? I use a pill cutter, although I get some dust and it never seems to cut straight. I might switch to the powder or granules when I run out of tablets.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CBrewing_Processes_and_Techniques/WortandBeerFiningManual.pdf

Here's the more comprehensive resource I found (also from BSG, not sure why they just link to the previous one). There's some good info in there-gravity, pH, malt variety/year, etc. all have a factor. Suffice to say, it's probably not worth diving too deep into this if you don't have a stable process but an interesting read.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #43 on: October 29, 2020, 10:15:22 am »
I'll try the sharp knife trick.  Another thought is to weigh a tablet and then crush the entire bag into dust and then just use half the weight of a tablet and call it a day.  :P
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #44 on: October 29, 2020, 10:40:39 am »

Their website (BSG) says 2/BBL, maybe it's changed? I use a pill cutter, although I get some dust and it never seems to cut straight. I might switch to the powder or granules when I run out of tablets.

https://bsgcraftbrewing.com/Resources%5CCraftBrewing%5CPDFs%5CBrewing_Processes_and_Techniques/WortandBeerFiningManual.pdf

Here's the more comprehensive resource I found (also from BSG, not sure why they just link to the previous one). There's some good info in there-gravity, pH, malt variety/year, etc. all have a factor. Suffice to say, it's probably not worth diving too deep into this if you don't have a stable process but an interesting read.

The reason I contacted the manufacturers was because there is so much contradictory info from those who distribute it.  I figured to get the real story I'd go to the source.

www.dennybrew.com