Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fermentis BE-256  (Read 1040 times)

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
Fermentis BE-256
« on: October 29, 2020, 08:45:53 am »
Hey folks how you all are?
Folks second time using this Yeast, first time was a quadruppel and it hit all the spots, this time was a tripel, but I receive some bad news in the brew day and the mash got a little hot, it was to go to 155 F but get to 163, here the recipe:
3 gallon
6,6 pound of pilsner malt
0.66 pound of amber malt
0.54 pound of cane sugar
the mash schedule:
Dough In 130 F and wait for 5 minuto
Rise with hot water to 151 F and step for 15 minute
Rise to 155 F, but I get this wrong and went to 163 F, so I let free fall during 55 minutos, the lowest it get was 156 F,
Then boil for 90 minute, add the hops, cool down and pitch the yeast, 1 pack of fermentis BE-256, the OG was 1.074
The beer completed 2 weeks, I took the gravity 2 days ago and get 1.014, today I get again 1.014.
You guys think that the fermentation is complete? Because of the high temp mash I incline to thing it is. Or should I wait more?

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Fermentis BE-256
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2020, 09:04:50 am »
80% AA is pretty good. I think it’s done but you could let it go a cpl more days and see if you get a point or two better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 09:05:22 am »
I do think the fermentation is complete.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 09:41:54 am »
Agree with BrewBama, its likely done.

According to their website, this yeast should attenuate to 82-86%. The step at 151 F provided conversion, but you may not have achieved full mash conversion due to your temperature mishap.

If interested in a better understanding, review some of the AHA seminars on this site, by searching for "enzymes." There is a ton of useful information. Also, the article referenced below provides some basic information and is a good read.

https://byo.com/article/understanding-enzymes-homebrew-science/
Roger

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2020, 12:35:37 pm »
Agree with BrewBama, its likely done.

According to their website, this yeast should attenuate to 82-86%. The step at 151 F provided conversion, but you may not have achieved full mash conversion due to your temperature mishap.

If interested in a better understanding, review some of the AHA seminars on this site, by searching for "enzymes." There is a ton of useful information. Also, the article referenced below provides some basic information and is a good read.

https://byo.com/article/understanding-enzymes-homebrew-science/

Thanks all for the quick reply, thanks for the article, gonna read, but that miss temp was a big error, I receive some bad news and get a little distracted because of that, but gonna wait, this was supose to be a mash test for my belgian high gravity beers, but I miss the mark by a lot, but well aleast gonna get a beer and not so high alchool.
Cheers folks