Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: copper in boil  (Read 2982 times)

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
copper in boil
« on: October 30, 2020, 12:21:14 pm »
   years ago I was brewing a festbier or a Munich helles and a pro brewer told me that I should put my copper wort chiller in the boil. It as something about the copper doing something in the boil that would create a taste that would be good for the beer.
   I have only done it once and forgotten about it until todays shower. I remember the beer was good, not sure if it was because of the copper.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: copper in boil
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 12:28:14 pm »
There are two good reasons to boil your copper chiller coil.

1) It will sterilize your coil.
2) It adds a small amount of soluble copper which will help your yeast stay healthy.

If I'm recalling correctly.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 12:37:01 pm »
There's a reason brew kettles were traditionally called "coppers".  OTOH, there's a train of thought among some brewers that you don't want copper in contact with your wort.  I don't think it's a big deal either way.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 01:36:54 pm »
The reason that pro brewer made that suggestion is because copper ions react with sulphur to form copper sulfate, and this reduces the amount of H2S (rotten egg smell/taste) that remains in the finished beer. For this reason, it's common practice to have some "sacrificial copper" in contact with the wort somewhere in the production process. Where I worked, we had a small strip of copper embedded in the lauter tun rake. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 01:50:07 pm »
The reason that pro brewer made that suggestion is because copper ions react with sulphur to form copper sulfate, and this reduces the amount of H2S (rotten egg smell/taste) that remains in the finished beer. For this reason, it's common practice to have some "sacrificial copper" in contact with the wort somewhere in the production process. Where I worked, we had a small strip of copper embedded in the lauter tun rake.

Yep, that's traditional.  The LO brewers claim that any copper will not benefit the beer.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline russell

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 02:58:48 pm »
  RC answer makes sense, especially with a lager. Thank everyone for their answers, all were faster reply's then I thought I would get.

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 04:09:57 pm »
I used to put some pennies in the bottom of my hop sack to weigh it down in the kettle. The acidic solution really made them shiny! One of my favorite tricks to play on new brewing assistants was to ask them to retrieve all 10 pennies after the boil, when there were only 9 in there to begin with. Now I use a stainless steel plumbing fitting which is a lot easier to retrieve and clean.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 06:10:53 pm »
I believe the LO theory is that a copper chiller, or any copper equipment whatsoever at any point in your process, can allow the very soluble oxide layer to promote rapid oxidation of the wort.

Using Brewtan B prior to introducing copper is supposed to guard from the oxidation effects.

I add Brewtan B at 16 minutes before adding my copper Hydra at 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 07:48:43 pm »
I believe the LO theory is that a copper chiller, or any copper equipment whatsoever at any point in your process, can allow the very soluble oxide layer to promote rapid oxidation of the wort.

Using Brewtan B prior to introducing copper is supposed to guard from the oxidation effects.

I add Brewtan B at 16 minutes before adding my copper Hydra at 15 minutes.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Residual copper and iron will induce the Fenton reaction. The copper and iron are catalysts, and are not used up.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2020, 07:14:27 am »
But, Jeff, I have been advised that the BTB works a chelation of copper and iron, so is it possible to bind and drop these elements out of wort and beer or to have them skimmed out (pulled out if skimmed) with the hot break?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Online erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 07:46:26 am »
But, Jeff, I have been advised that the BTB works a chelation of copper and iron, so is it possible to bind and drop these elements out of wort and beer or to have them skimmed out (pulled out if skimmed) with the hot break?
I think he means that they are catalysts of the Fenton reaction and are not used up in that reaction. Therefore a small amount of copper or iron ions can lead to a lot of free radical production. Gallotannin chelates these ions to so they can no longer catalyze the Fenton reaction.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 09:42:45 am »
Wash your new copper component and perhaps even do some sort of passivation before using it in the boil or your beer could turn out tasting like copper pennies.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 04:58:59 pm »
Wash your new copper component and perhaps even do some sort of passivation before using it in the boil or your beer could turn out tasting like copper pennies.

Actually, this is unlikely since yeast consume and sequester copper ions.  However, it doesn't take much copper to achieve the benefits to brewing, so don't use too much copper in your brewing system.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2020, 09:27:03 am »

Actually, this is unlikely since yeast consume and sequester copper ions.  However, it doesn't take much copper to achieve the benefits to brewing, so don't use too much copper in your brewing system.

And yet it did happen to me. Twice.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 09:37:26 am »
Yes.

I have a little copper in my system, and use BTB to drop it out of the wort.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:11:33 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!