Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding grain to an extract kit?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
Adding grain to an extract kit?
« on: November 02, 2020, 05:19:41 am »
Anyone ever tried throwing in a pound or two of pale malt when steeping the specialty grains for an extract kit? If so, how did that turn out? Wondering how that might work to get more fermentables in the wort.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Adding grain to an extract kit?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2020, 05:22:45 am »
It would work fine if it’s in the temp range for mashing. Higher or lower and you are not going to convert starches into sugars.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2020, 08:44:52 am »
The pale ale malt will add some fermentables and will typically extract more sugars out of the specialty grains if you do it under proper mashing conditions (mashing temp & dilution).  If you're extract beers are too heavy, you may mind that doing a mini-mash will lighten the beer.

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2020, 04:12:12 am »
Ah, this is called a mini mash? Didn't know. Thanks.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2020, 09:52:14 am »
Ah, this is called a mini mash? Didn't know. Thanks.
Yes, a mini mash. If you're steeping within the temp range where conversion of starches can take place and have added a base style malt (pale, etc.) then you are mashing. This definitely can expand your recipe possibilities in terms of flavor and other outcomes, though at a certain point (when is a mash no longer "mini"?) I guess one essentially becomes an all grain brewer who's adding extract to increase gravity and be able to do a smaller mash.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2020, 09:00:29 pm »
Yup. Like they said, it's a mini-mash or partial mash.  When I finally realized that keeping my steeping grains at a more targeted temp (and pH), it was a big time "aha!" moment for me (pun intented).

The ability to add non-steepable grains is huge.  With that comes the ability to mash adjuncts.
That's when you have to start paying attention to diastatic power.  Most full AG batches have no problems with DP,
but you can hit DP limits quickly doing mini-mashes.  I'm not trying to scare or dissuade you at all, I'm just letting you know that
this is getting more advanced, so with it there are more things to take into account when you build a recipe that you didn't have to
consider before.

Keep going!  It opens up so many worlds for you you will be amazed!
If you have questions, just ask.  People here will always help.

[edit - changed "steep adjuncts" to "mash adjuncts" above for correctness]
« Last Edit: November 19, 2020, 09:26:37 pm by santoch »
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Joe_Beer

• Brewer
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2020, 04:54:12 am »
Keep going!  It opens up so many worlds for you you will be amazed!
If you have questions, just ask.  People here will always help.

Thanks for the note about diastatic power. I'm not terribly familiar with it and not exactly sure how I would use the info, but I'll get there. Still dialing in my process and trying to find a couple favorite recipes. I'm honestly quite pleased how well the various recipes turned out which I've tried so far. I was not expecting this process to pay off like that so soon =J

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2020, 09:30:15 pm »
Here's a good article that explains the basics of DP and how to do some rough calculations.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2010/01/04/diastatic-power-and-mashing-your-beer/
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Adding grain to an extract kit?
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2020, 07:51:58 am »
Though Brad Smith’s article cited says the mash should have at least 30 degrees Lintner based on this formula: Lintner_for_batch = Σ(lintner_for_grain * weight_of_grain) / (total_batch_grain_weight), I’ve read a grain bill that converts well in a 60 minute single infusion mash should have at least 70 degrees.  More than double what Brad’s article seems to be saying.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 20, 2020, 08:02:28 am by BrewBama »

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #9 on: December 23, 2020, 03:29:13 pm »
Munich will convert itself so at 30 lintner, I guess that's gotta be the bare minimum.  Yes, I agree, the more the merrier.

Bottom line, what I was getting at is that this becomes something to pay attention to when you start adding adjuncts to mini mash batches.
Perfect example is the first time somebody tries a Classic Am. Pils and then you wonder why there's not enough DP to convert the corn. 
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge