Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Guide to Recognizing Problem Drinking  (Read 1985 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Guide to Recognizing Problem Drinking
« Reply #15 on: August 19, 2022, 04:39:51 am »
It's ok to make lite of something. I have personally suffered the tragedy and loss of 2 loved ones in my immediate family from drugs and alcohol. Making lite of a situation and pointing ones finger and laughing at someone for their addiction are two different things. We can still laugh with humility at something without stigmatizing the individual. That's part of my coping mechanism.

Offline neuse

• Brewer
  • New Bern, NC
« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2022, 08:09:20 am »
I guess everyone is familiar with the medical advice that there is no problem with men drinking two beers per day and women drinking one. I think that's been the accepted advice for decades. I saw an article recently that brings this into question: https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/medical/new-study-reveals-truth-about-drinking-alcohol-and-heart-health/ar-AAVFSTD?li=BBnb7Kz. To me, it seemed a little wishy-washy, but a pretty good read.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: August 19, 2022, 09:43:59 am »
I think most beer drinkers are going to drink at least 2 beers when they drink.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2022, 02:12:56 pm »
Ya know, it's easy to make fun of "problem drinking" until someone you love drinks themself to death. Then it stops being humorous.
I've actually had someone do this and recently. It was very sad indeed. It was a different kind of drinking. No doubt about it.
It's good to reassess your relationship with alcohol once in a while, but there are many folks that this simply does not occur to them to do and they think nothing of drinking a 12 pack or a 24 pack of beer everyday.
Jesse

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2022, 04:31:39 pm »
Resharing member-only content usually is not allowed, but in the spirit of this valuable information your re-sharing of the text here on the AHA Forum, in the manner you did, is applauded.

Cheers, Julia
-------------------------------

I apologize if posting this paywall content is forbidden or unwarranted.  Please delete if I broke the forum rules.

RECOGNIZING PROBLEM DRINKING
HomebrewersAssociation.org

YOU THINK SOMEONE YOU KNOW MAY HAVE A PROBLEM WITH ALCOHOL.
WHAT ARE THE SIGNS?

The American Addiction Centers note that the following are common physical and behavioral indicators that someone
may be engaging in problem drinking behavior:

PHYSICAL:
• Bloodshot eyes
• Alcohol on their breath
• Sleeping more than usual or appearing tired
• Unsteady gait

BEHAVIORAL:
• Frequently becoming angry, belligerent, or moody
for no apparent reason
• Appearing intoxicated
• Losing interest in relationships, activities,
or responsibilities
• Unable to refuse alcohol when offered to them
• Telling lies or acting secretive about alcohol use

According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism (NIAAA), an individual may have an Alcohol Use
Disorder (AUD) if they:
• Drink more, or longer, than they intended.
• Have tried more than once to cut back or quit drinking but couldn’t.
• Spend a lot of time drinking or feeling sick from drinking.
• Want a drink so badly that they can’t think of anything else.
• Find that drinking, or being sick from drinking, is interfering with other responsibilities.
• Continue to drink despite its negative impact on relationships with family or friends.
• Have given up or cut back on activities that were important or interesting to them in order to drink.
• Have gotten into dangerous situations while or after drinking that could result in injury to themself or others.
• Continue to drink despite it making them feel depressed or anxious, or adding to other health problems.
• Must drink far more than they used to in order to get the desired effect.
• Suffer withdrawal symptoms, such as trouble sleeping, shakiness, restlessness, nausea, sweating, a racing heart,
seizure, or hallucinations as the effects of alcohol wear off.

ONCE YOU’VE RECOGNIZED THE PROBLEM, HOW DO YOU APPROACH THE CONVERSATION?
It is important to understand that alcoholism is a disease that thrives on secrecy and the individual is likely to deny
that the problem exists. The following are tips to help you navigate this challenging conversation:
• Come from a place of genuine, non-judgmental concern.
• Offer empathy and understanding.
• Avoid using labels like “alcoholic.”
• Present resources.
• Provide options, don’t make demands.

WHAT RESOURCES ARE AVAILABLE?
• Local Community Mental Health Agencies
• Job and Family Services
• Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration (SAMHSA) helpline: 1-800-662-HELP
• aaHomegroup.org offers 24/7 AA meetings via Zoom
• Local AA meetings: https://alcoholicsanonymous.com/
• NIAAA Treatment Navigator: https://alcoholtreatment.niaaa.nih.gov/
    •    Check with your insurance provider to find out what services are covered under your plan
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline jherzjherz

• Administrator
  • Assistant Brewer
  • Julia Herz
    • American Homebrewers Association
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2022, 04:32:30 pm »
If you are not a member please join us!

Hey, I saw this in the AHA newsletter. It's stuck behind a paywall, any chance this resource could be made available to everyone?

https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/homebrew-community-culture/guide-to-recognizing-problem-drinking/?utm_source=sfmc&utm_meduim=Email&utmCampaign=AHA
JULIA HERZ
Executive Director
American Homebrewers Association | Boulder, CO 80302

Offline Ralf Pi

• 1st Kit
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2022, 01:10:35 am »
I would like to add signs that a person slowly become alcohol addicted:
1. Tolerance Has Gone Up
    You need to drink more and more to get drunk. The brain becomes less sensitive to alcohol.
2. Alcohol craving
    Alcohol becomes the only thing that matters. You give up on work, relationships, family, sports, and yourself.
3. Alcohol is the only way to relax.

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2022, 08:24:58 pm »
To add to this, I agree with most of these posts. I probably drink to excess far above guidelines, but having known alcoholics, I think I am fine, as I frequently quit for a few days whenever I see the need. When you migrate from beer to vodka, then you know you have a problem.

And the need for me to quit, is that alcohol affects my joints and stoves me up. And it constipates me. Not sure why. Give it up for a couple of days, I am find....but then....HERE COME THE WEEKEND! (Cue up Dave Edmonds).