Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: getting started  (Read 3161 times)

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: getting started
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 11:43:37 am »
Ive never been tempted to get a 3 vessel system- more stuff to clean, more stuff to break, more space taken. I was a batch sparger for a long time wiht a cooler and a keggle, I went to No sparge BIAB a few years ago and never looked back. One pot to clean, its compact and can be packed up afterwards.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 12:09:46 pm »
Ive never been tempted to get a 3 vessel system- more stuff to clean, more stuff to break, more space taken. I was a batch sparger for a long time wiht a cooler and a keggle, I went to No sparge BIAB a few years ago and never looked back. One pot to clean, its compact and can be packed up afterwards.

After getting comfortable with the Grainfather (kind of a BIAB system), my cooler, kettle and and propane burner went into storage.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 12:34:08 pm »
If you're new to homebrewing, I'd advise you to start small and simple.  Learn what you need before you go big.  You may decide that you don't need to.  I've brewed 573 batches in the last 23 years and I've come to the conclusion that less is more.  Don't be seduced by shiny stuff.
One day Denny said, It's about the BEER, not the GEAR! and I have taken that to heart ever since.  It's not that I don't like toys... I do.  But I have been brewing for 21+ years and still use a very simple system.  Plain 10 gallon SS kettle with no port, a cooler MT, plastic fermenters, etc.  Sure I have a Thermapen thermometer and an Omega pH meter and a Tilt hydrometer but there are no shiny metal skyscrapers in my brewery.  Most people would probably find my brewery to be a little "backwoodsy".  :D  Still, I am very happy with my beers. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 01:15:20 pm »
I hear you, Ken.  I, too, had a very simple approach for the longest time, but if I were starting now, I might splurge right away for an all in one system to learn on.  I also agree with Denny as to why the OP wants to jump into a 3 vessel HERMS system.  As I consider it further, the 3 vessel HERMS system doesn't require a two element system, if electric (HLT with HERMS coil and boil kettle) or 2 burner propane (HLT burner and kettle burner), but it typically involves that, which probably means higher expenses.

OP - tell us more about your brewing desires and dislikes and we can probably keep this thread going until you get around to purchasing the set up you want.  Thankfully, and really because choice is so subjective, there are so many set ups for you to look at and consider; I would expect that you will find what you want.  Brew On, Brother!  It really is a great hobby with a great group on this and other fora to choose from.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 01:51:39 pm »
I'll also just mention that you came to a great place to ask for direction.  So many great, experienced brewers here who like to share and help others without any judgment.  AHA is the place.  :D

I also see that Saturday 11/7 is "learn how to homebrew day" so nice timing on that one.  I'll be making an American Pale Ale with Santiam hops so whoever wants to hang out and brew... come on over!  :D
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 02:43:21 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 02:42:47 pm »

After getting comfortable with the Grainfather (kind of a BIAB system), my cooler, kettle and and propane burner went into storage.

These all in one systems make homebrewing so easy - especially clean up. I love mine. And I've literally brewed on just about everything.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 05:54:10 pm »
If you're new to homebrewing, I'd advise you to start small and simple.  Learn what you need before you go big.  You may decide that you don't need to.  I've brewed 573 batches in the last 23 years and I've come to the conclusion that less is more.  Don't be seduced by shiny stuff.
One day Denny said, It's about the BEER, not the GEAR! and I have taken that to heart ever since.  It's not that I don't like toys... I do.  But I have been brewing for 21+ years and still use a very simple system.  Plain 10 gallon SS kettle with no port, a cooler MT, plastic fermenters, etc.  Sure I have a Thermapen thermometer and an Omega pH meter and a Tilt hydrometer but there are no shiny metal skyscrapers in my brewery.  Most people would probably find my brewery to be a little "backwoodsy".  :D  Still, I am very happy with my beers.
Come on, Ken! Majorvices, Brewbama, and I live in Alabama. You live in Chicago. You can’t have backwoodsy. That’s ours.  Your brewery is dry white toast (re:Joliet Jake https://youtu.be/nNPlp-fGya8).

PS. Yes. I am enjoying the homebrew tonight.

Offline Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2020, 06:37:40 pm »
I've been homebrewing about a year now. Here's my advice: start small.  I started out with a 15-gallon kettle and have gradually stepped down to where I'm now doing 1.5-gallon brew-in-a-bag batches on the kitchen.

You can order 1-gallon kits online now, and ferment in a cheap food grade 2-gallon bucket or carboy.  This will let you iterate through styles and recipes quicker than doing 5+ gallon batches.

At 1.5 gallons per batch, if you screw something up, you're only out $10 worth of ingredients. Much easier, faster, and cheaper way to learn.

Plus, if you're just starting, you'll probably be bottle conditioning at first. And it's much easier to bottle two six packs than 45-ish bottles from a 5-gallon batch.

Then, when you're sure you like the hobby and know which recipes you want to have hanging around in large quantities, you can move up to larger equipment.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:39:47 pm by Drewch »
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2020, 08:04:06 pm »
for the record I am literally backwoodsy ... like, I live in the woods ... for real. lol

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2020, 08:33:56 pm »
Come on, Ken! Majorvices, Brewbama, and I live in Alabama. You live in Chicago. You can’t have backwoodsy. That’s ours.  Your brewery is dry white toast (re:Joliet Jake https://youtu.be/nNPlp-fGya8).

PS. Yes. I am enjoying the homebrew tonight.
LOL.  I'm changing my screen name to BACKWOODSY.  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 03:28:05 am »
I used to have a 3V system. At a brew club get together, I watched two brewers, one had a huge trolley mounted 3v with pumps and probes, the other was the first BIAB rig I’d seen, which was a burner, a pot, and a bag of grain.

The 3v brewer had issues with blockages and a temp probe and spent the whole time trying to get the thing going. The BIAB brewer was enjoying a few beers and every once in a while checked the temp. I got a BIAB bag that week and never went back. I had a few years away from brewing and the first thing I got was a robobrew. Takes up very little space and the beers are no different in quality to my old 3V setup or my BIAB setup.
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 08:46:38 am »
for the record I am literally backwoodsy ... like, I live in the woods ... for real. lol

Same here...

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 08:47:22 am »
I used to have a 3V system. At a brew club get together, I watched two brewers, one had a huge trolley mounted 3v with pumps and probes, the other was the first BIAB rig I’d seen, which was a burner, a pot, and a bag of grain.

The 3v brewer had issues with blockages and a temp probe and spent the whole time trying to get the thing going. The BIAB brewer was enjoying a few beers and every once in a while checked the temp. I got a BIAB bag that week and never went back. I had a few years away from brewing and the first thing I got was a robobrew. Takes up very little space and the beers are no different in quality to my old 3V setup or my BIAB setup.

Great story!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BeerfanOz

• Cellarman
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2020, 12:10:08 pm »

Great story!

This was before you could buy pre made 3V and single vessel systems so people were making their own up on welded trolleys. In fairness, these days you can buy pre made setups that are less trouble but I clearly remember comparing the two setups and being sold on BIAB at the time. I’ve had my robo for around 12 months and put nearly 40 batches through with ease. A good mate who had never brewed bought one, and with minimal help he got the hang of it and makes great beers
Shellharbour, NSW, Australia

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2020, 03:10:55 pm »
If you're set on a 3 vessel system I'd keep an an eye out in Craigslist and Facebook marketplace. It seems like nice 3 vessel systems pop up fairly regularly.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk