Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: sparging with room temp water  (Read 1251 times)

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
sparging with room temp water
« on: November 04, 2020, 08:00:03 pm »
I was wondering about sparging with room temp water.  I saw a brulosophy experiment that showed negligible difference but was wondering if anybody else has experimented with cold water sparging.  If I could drop one vessel from my set up and still sparge, I am in.  Any input?

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: sparging with room temp water
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2020, 08:04:09 pm »
The colder the sparge water the longer it takes to get to a boil.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Nicholas Lesogor

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 06:27:27 am »
Steve brings up a good point about temperature, but outside of that there's no real negligible difference. I sparged with room temp water a few times back when I was testing variables on NE IPA recipes as to why we were getting off flavors, and didn't see any difference in quality.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 07:58:59 am »
Steve brings up a good point about temperature, but outside of that there's no real negligible difference. I sparged with room temp water a few times back when I was testing variables on NE IPA recipes as to why we were getting off flavors, and didn't see any difference in quality.

THIS^^^^
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 08:17:04 am »
I heat my total water volume to mash strike temp, treat it with minerals, and drain off a portion to use as sparge liquor into a water cooler. After the mash is complete, I drain my first runnings then add the reserved sparge liquor to the grain bed at whatever temp it settles to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 01:09:40 pm »
I was wondering about sparging with room temp water.  I saw a brulosophy experiment that showed negligible difference but was wondering if anybody else has experimented with cold water sparging.  If I could drop one vessel from my set up and still sparge, I am in.  Any input?

why not drop 2 vessels and go no sparge?

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2020, 07:36:35 am »
When making kettle sours, I sparge with room temp water.  Works fine. I presume it would also work fine for other beer styles.

Offline soymateofeo

• Assistant Brewer
  • El Mas Chingon
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2020, 09:59:11 am »
Sweet!  I know that it takes longer to boil but that's a non issue for me. I'd rather drop a vessel and increase garage space.  My garage also doubles as a home gym and I work out while I brew.  The longer the boil, the better work out I get. It's a weird combo of fighting obesity while adding to obesity at the same time.