Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Water Testing  (Read 1523 times)

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
Water Testing
« on: November 05, 2020, 09:21:31 am »
I see this being discussed in another thread. I have well water as a source for water. My hardness direct from well is 16.4 grains/gallon and 281 mg/l (as CaCO3) and alkalinity is 213 Mg/L. I have three options in terms of brewing. 1. direct from my well; 2. from my water softener; 3. from my Reverse Osmosis water filter Anyone have any thoughts around this?
TRaftman😎

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
Re: Water Testing
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2020, 09:39:50 am »
I see this being discussed in another thread. I have well water as a source for water. My hardness direct from well is 16.4 grains/gallon and 281 mg/l (as CaCO3) and alkalinity is 213 Mg/L. I have three options in terms of brewing. 1. direct from my well; 2. from my water softener; 3. from my Reverse Osmosis water filter Anyone have any thoughts around this?

thats alot of alkalinity you are going to have to overcome, you also dont have amounts of minerals that effect flavor like sulfate, sodium and chloride. The simplest thing to do would use RO and build your water yourself. You'd need baking soda to alkalinize, an acid (lactic acid or phosphoric) to acidify, calcium sulfate and calcium chloride for taste.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 09:55:39 am »
Water softeners strip most of the Ca and Mg out, Ca is good for brewing all grain, still need some Ca if brewing with extract. Softeners don't reduce alkalinity, and boost the sodium levels.

Use RO.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2020, 10:05:44 am »
Alkalinity (as CaCO3)   213
Bicarbonate (as CaCO3)   212
Total Disolved Solids   750
Carbonate   0.85
Chloride   54.1
Magnesium   25.2
Potassium   1.2
Sodium   11.8
TRaftman😎

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2020, 10:11:34 am »
Im adding this table as the RO Calculated Values:
Substance   Reduced (Calculated)
Alkalinity (as CaCO3)   
Bicarbonate (as CaCO3)   8.48
Total Disolved Solids   86.3
Carbonate   
Chloride   4.3
Magnesium   0.8
Potassium   
Sodium   1.4
TRaftman😎

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2020, 10:18:03 am »
Im adding this table as the RO Calculated Values:
Substance   Reduced (Calculated)
Alkalinity (as CaCO3)   
Bicarbonate (as CaCO3)   8.48
Total Disolved Solids   86.3
Carbonate   
Chloride   4.3
Magnesium   0.8
Potassium   
Sodium   1.4
TDS of 86.3 with RO water doesnt look right

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2020, 10:33:54 am »
TDS was incorrect:
S/b 436 (which is an estimated number in my water test) and my RO reduces by ~88.5%
TDS = 50.1
TRaftman😎

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2020, 01:26:12 pm »
TDS is still a bit high for RO I think, but send it in to Wards Lab (WL 501 Brewers Test) and verify what the RO has in it (of course, if you have the means to test it, please ignore that bit).  You should be determining your Calcium, since it should approach 50 ppm, typically, to be good brewing liquor.  Then use a water calculator to get the right ratio of Chloride to Sulfate for the style beer you are brewing.  Then check projected pH and make sure it has been adequately adjusted for the grist and beer style.  That should get you pretty close.  Others here are experts on this and can probably suggest more to you.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2020, 07:33:32 am »
The TDS reduction by the RO system seems low. It should be 94% reduction or more. I would have it sent to Ward's as someone said and verify the numbers. Do you have a TDS meter, they are pretty cheap? If your numbers are confirmed then I would replace the RO membrane, mine reduces 94% or more.
I used to live in the Ozarks on a well that had high TDS too. I tried using the lime method to reduce alkalinity and it helped but I finally went to Wal mart and just bought their RO water and built water to style. Now I have a RO unit at home and change the filters every year except for the membrane which  I keep track of with a TDS meter.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 08:19:12 am by scrap iron »
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2020, 08:40:40 am »
The TDS reduction is an estimate. I used 88.5% based on the range provided by the RO manufacturer and not an actual measurement. The range is like 84 to 92 % or similar I just used the mid point. I replaced the membrane in the last year and ordered a Ward Labs brew water test yesterday. Can anyone recommend a good web tool that will provide quidance as to what minerals to add to brew water to optimize it’s chemistry?
TRaftman😎

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2020, 10:32:54 am »
The additives are typically Calcium Chloride, Calcium Sulfate, occasionally Magnesium (consider Epsom Salts), and then pH adjustment by Lactic Acid, Phosphoric Acid, in the strike water based on the mash, or Acidulated Malt as part of the grist in the mash.  You will need a good set of starting numbers to work from, so your Ward Lab report will be used for that.  Then a good water calculator - Brunwater is available in both free and pay software.  Other software is out that as part of a recipe builder and are pretty reliable.

For pale beers, you might use under a gram or so per gallon in the strike water/mash of both CaCl2 and CaSO4.  Also consider Brew Tan B, though it is negligible in amount needed for a 5 gallon batch (it is a gallotannin that helps in many different ways, including clarity of the final beer).

Cheers. 

Offline traftas

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2020, 02:28:54 pm »
Looks like my estimate of TDS was way to high. I acquired a tester today and TDS is "6".
TRaftman😎

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2020, 07:40:48 pm »
Well done - now you can confidently build back to be where you want to be.

Cheers!

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2020, 09:12:49 pm »
Looks like my estimate of TDS was way to high. I acquired a tester today and TDS is "6".

You're good, and your system is working fine.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline spurviance

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2020, 10:58:43 pm »

I am in a very similar situation with my water as you are.  After I controlled fermentation temps, the best improvements to my beers have been due to water chemistry control.  I now use DO water for 90-100% of my brewing water.  I've had my well water tested by Ward labs so when I do mix some of that in I can account for it's effects with the brewing water software I use.  Occasionally I use some of my water softener water in small doses if I want a small bump in the sodium content, but since I've never had that water tested I don't like to use it much at all
On tap,  Vienna Lager, Doppelbock, Dortmunder Export, Pale Ale, Porter, Saison

Fermenting, Saison