Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial stout didn't carbonate  (Read 766 times)

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
Imperial stout didn't carbonate
« on: November 08, 2020, 09:46:17 am »
I made an imperial stout that tastes fantastic but has very low carbonation despite me putting in the right amount of sugar pre-bottling. It's the highest ABV I've done (just over 8), and I'm wondering if that kept my yeast from doing their thing. Thoughts? Is there an extra step to take with higher ABV? Something I could do to salvage this one? 

I do recognize kegging  saves me this problem!
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
Re: Imperial stout didn't carbonate
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2020, 05:26:22 pm »
High gravity beers often take considerably longer to carbonate than their low ABV cousins. If they are partially carbonated more time will likely get them to the level you primed for.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Ortizer

• 1st Kit
Re: Imperial stout didn't carbonate
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2020, 06:12:57 pm »
I made an imperial stout that tastes fantastic but has very low carbonation despite me putting in the right amount of sugar pre-bottling. It's the highest ABV I've done (just over 8), and I'm wondering if that kept my yeast from doing their thing. Thoughts? Is there an extra step to take with higher ABV? Something I could do to salvage this one? 

I do recognize kegging  saves me this problem!
How long did you condition? We had a tripel once that took almost a year to carbonate. It may just need more time as mentioned above.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk