Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Modifying an extract kit - from stout to German chocolate cake stout  (Read 1057 times)

Offline Nykademus

• 1st Kit
I have really been wanting to make a German chocolate stout, but do not yet have the all grain equipment to go from scratch.

What to start with? Milk stout, sweet stout, or oatmeal stout?

I am thinking to add coconut to the boil, and pecan extract, cacao nibs, toasted coconut, and vanilla beans to the secondary. Would Lactose be needed?

Tips, advice, and cautions are most welcome as this will be the first time I try to modify a kit.

Searching online does has not seemed to yield a lot of information on modifying an extract kit for this particular goal.

Thanks again for all the info on other threads thus far. I am loving this community!

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Re: Modifying an extract kit - from stout to German chocolate cake stout
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2020, 03:31:28 pm »
When I think chocolate, I do not think stout.  Porter comes to mind, especially when you are thinking German chocolate instead of dark chocolate.

Offline Nykademus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 06:08:59 am »
When I think chocolate, I do not think stout.  Porter comes to mind, especially when you are thinking German chocolate instead of dark chocolate.

I can see a porter being a bit lighter, but it works in a stout too. A local place brewed some here last fall and it was wonderful. Probably one of my favorites ever.

It was quite heavy though, like taking a bite rather than a drink, but I liked that about it. 2 pints is plenty, especially with a meal.

Offline Nykademus

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 06:10:45 am »
The more I think about it though, the more I am deciding to not modify a kit to do this.

It will probably wind up being BIAB.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 06:29:55 am »
Of course it’s your beer and you can do anything you like to/with it.

If you are going to brew a milk stout then lactose will be required.

However, I caution the kitchen sink approach. More is not always better if you ask me.

If you’re going to brew a choc milk stout brew the stout and add cacao nibs or cocoa powder. For me, five days is about right.

If your going for a coconut milk stout skip the nibs/powder and add the coconut.

Once you start adding too many ingredients the tastes start to become indistinguishable in my opinion. The results are just strange to me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk