Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wheat beer water profile  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Wheat beer water profile
« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2020, 03:46:40 pm »
I am brewing two Wheat Beers 1) Hoegaarden clone 2) Allagash White clone
Those are both Belgian styles.  When I brew them I don't spend too much time worrying about the water since it is mostly a yeast- and spice-driven beer.  As mentioned above, hit your pH properly and have enough calcium for yeast health and you should be fine.
Yeah, in this case maybe get the chloride and sulfate around even and wash your hands.

This is off-topic but I find that when I make something darker like a dunkel, a bock, maybe a vienna depending on the recipe, a bit more sulfate is helpful.  If the beer is dark and hopped lower, you need the water to add some crispness and dryness to make it so the beer is not muddy.  The wheat beers mentioned here will not be overly hoppy (based on the style, that is) so a touch of sulfate could help balance the beer a bit. 
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline MeMa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2020, 03:56:10 pm »
Hi Jeff

I mean the grain/hop/etc recipe

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2020, 06:33:50 pm »
It seems I haven’t made a witbier in four years, but it used to be one of my more frequent brews.  (I have this thing where I put poblano peppers in it.)
Shoot for an OG of 1.052
45% Pilsner malt
45% flaked wheat
10% oats (from the grocery store)
15 IBUs of cascades (I know it’s not traditional, but I like the citrusy flavor) one addition @ 30 minutes
At 10 minutes, add the zest of two citrus fruits (I like sour tangerines, but that’s because I used to grow them), 1 ounce of chamomile and 1.5 ounces of crushed Indian coriander.
Ferment with 3944 witbier yeast at about 65F.

This makes a good base beer for special additions.  I mentioned peppers, but you can also add grape must for an interesting beer.

Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2020, 06:47:56 pm »
It seems I haven’t made a witbier in four years, but it used to be one of my more frequent brews.  (I have this thing where I put poblano peppers in it.)
Shoot for an OG of 1.052
45% Pilsner malt
45% flaked wheat
15 IBUs of cascades (I know it’s not traditional, but I like the citrusy flavor) one addition @ 30 minutes
At 10 minutes, add the zest of two citrus fruits (I like sour tangerines, but that’s because I used to grow them), 1 ounce of chamomile and 1.5 ounces of crushed Indian coriander.

This makes a good base beer for special additions.  I mentioned peppers, but you can also add grape must for an interesting beer.
How and when did you introduce the peppers when you made it? 

True story:  typically Pablano peppers aren't hot but I got some around the end of the summer and I cut them in half and was going to throw them on the grill.  After I cut them I must have touched my upper lip and it was ON FIRE.  I couldn't believe it.  I grilled them and had some with dinner and they were indeed hot.  I talked with a 'pepper guy' I know and he said that any pepper can occasionally go rogue and be hot.   
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2020, 07:38:17 pm »
Shoot for an OG of 1.052
45% Pilsner malt
45% flaked wheat

True story:  typically Pablano peppers aren't hot but I got some around the end of the summer and I cut them in half and was going to throw them on the grill.  After I cut them I must have touched my upper lip and it was ON FIRE.  I couldn't believe it.  I grilled them and had some with dinner and they were indeed hot.  I talked with a 'pepper guy' I know and he said that any pepper can occasionally go rogue and be hot.
Peppers are roasted and peeled, then go into the fermenter.  You can read more about it in Homebrew Heroes, a very nice book by Denny and Drew.
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2020, 07:39:59 pm »
Thanks.  I'll check it out. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2020, 08:25:40 am »
Shoot for an OG of 1.052
45% Pilsner malt
45% flaked wheat

Peppers are roasted and peeled, then go into the fermenter.  You can read more about it in Homebrew Heroes, a very nice book by Denny and Drew.

Although you ARE a hero, the book is Homebrew All Stars.   ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2020, 10:35:57 am »
Shoot for an OG of 1.052
45% Pilsner malt
45% flaked wheat

By either name, it is a good book and I am proud to be a part of it.
For more info on pepper beers, here's a little article I wrote in BYO https://byo.com/article/turn-up-the-heat/
Homebrewing since 1990
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2020, 11:27:50 am »
Shoot for an OG of 1.052
45% Pilsner malt
45% flaked wheat

By either name, it is a good book and I am proud to be a part of it.
For more info on pepper beers, here's a little article I wrote in BYO https://byo.com/article/turn-up-the-heat/

We were thrilled you were willing to participate.  The book would never have happened without help from you and all the other great brewers in it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell