Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The odd infection  (Read 761 times)

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
The odd infection
« on: November 11, 2020, 08:21:49 pm »
Not one to brag but I got an odd infection. Did a pseudo light lager I’ve brewed before but had to use a bottling bucket in a pinch for a fermentation vessel. You guessed it, infected! Attached is a pic of the yeast cake as it fell to the floor of the fv, odd! It has zero head retention, taste very odd almost medicinal but not the classic bandaid flavor, odd phenolics, no pellical or other infection indicators but it’s a dumper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: The odd infection
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 03:50:28 pm »
Your description points to wild yeast as the culprit. And now there's a ton more of it in that bucket. Scrub it well (non-scratch sponge), give it a long soak with hot alkaline cleanser (hotter the better, just don't melt the bucket), and then give it a long soak with extra-concentrated iodophor. Should be good to go after all that.

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 04:12:34 pm »
Your description points to wild yeast as the culprit. And now there's a ton more of it in that bucket. Scrub it well (non-scratch sponge), give it a long soak with hot alkaline cleanser (hotter the better, just don't melt the bucket), and then give it a long soak with extra-concentrated iodophor. Should be good to go after all that.
And take apart the spigot and do the same to that of course.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 06:45:39 pm »
Spigots are where I have had issues the few times I have had a problem. I have paid special attention to them for the past few yrs without any further problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk