Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer you wish was still available  (Read 3765 times)

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
Beer you wish was still available
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:46:33 am »
What's a beer you're nostalgic about that is no longer available? Possibly even one that helped convince you to be a craft beer lover.
One of the first to come to mind for me is Bert Grants Scottish Ale.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Beer you wish was still available
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 08:56:22 am »
Genesee 12 Horse Ale.   Not completely unavailable, but only an occasional limited release.  What was once a ubiquitous beer in my area has now become impossible to find.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2020, 09:02:29 am »
Genesee 12 Horse Ale.   Not completely unavailable, but only an occasional limited release.  What was once a ubiquitous beer in my area has now become impossible to find.
I lived outside Philadelphia for a couple of years in the early 80's and that was one I drank a lot of. Was often my go-to beer at a bar, along with Rolling Rock. Every place had them. I learned that a beer and a shot of ginger schnapps was a thing at the local watering holes.

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2020, 09:04:33 am »
Generic Our Family Brand

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2020, 09:10:57 am »
All of Otter Creek's core line before Harpoon took them over, especially Stovepipe Porter and their Pale Ale.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2020, 09:33:32 am »
Two Brothers here in the Chicago area had a pale ale called The Bitter End.  It was a nice, middle-of-the-road pale ale that did not feature fruity, citrusy hops.  I believe it's gone in favor of new styles.  Anyone remember JW Dundee's Honey Brown Ale?  I know that it probably makes people want to point and laugh at me but when I was 20 or so it was the first beer I tried that was not Miller Lite or Strohs or something.  I liked it but haven't seen it in awhile.

Another angle of this conversation is "beer that used to be one way and it's still available now but tastes totally different".  A lot of beers have completely changed.  I feel like Fat Tire has undergone many recipe changes.  My dad used to love Labatt's Blue.  When he fished in Canada, he said it was one of the best beers he ever had.  Then he found some in the US but the label was different and the bottle was green instead of brown and he said it was terrible.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2020, 09:49:24 am »
1800’s London Porter.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2020, 09:54:40 am »
I recently was thinking about beers I drank in my youth, whether they are still being made, and if I would still like them:
Moosehead (The moose is loose! I had a t-shirt), Lowenbrau, and Pete's Wicked Ale.
And in the morbid curiosity department: Haffenrefer, the perpetually skunked beer with puzzles on the cap, and Red, White, and Blue.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2020, 10:06:48 am »
I recently was thinking about beers I drank in my youth, whether they are still being made, and if I would still like them:
Moosehead (The moose is loose! I had a t-shirt), Lowenbrau, and Pete's Wicked Ale.
And in the morbid curiosity department: Haffenrefer, the perpetually skunked beer with puzzles on the cap, and Red, White, and Blue.
Pete's Wicked is another I drank a lot of in my early days of becoming a more discerning beer drinker - I craved that stuff.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2020, 10:28:36 am »
Puck, North Coasts Brewing petite saison. They stopped making it a couple years ago.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2020, 02:58:21 pm »
Funny I mentioned Moosehead.  Found this in the woods about a mile behind my house today.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2020, 03:45:57 pm »
Funny I mentioned Moosehead.  Found this in the woods about a mile behind my house today.

Wow. I didn't know they came that far south. Cool find!

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2020, 03:51:18 pm »
Moose head!!!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 05:14:23 pm »

Wow. I didn't know they came that far south. Cool find!

We have quite a few moose around here now, we see them pretty regularly and their poop and tracks even more.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »
I can't find it where I moved a few years back, But I miss being able to get any of the beer from St Peters brewery in Suffolk UK

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk