Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer you wish was still available  (Read 3908 times)

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
Re: Beer you wish was still available
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2020, 06:17:40 pm »
Twenty five or so years ago, I used to find Berliner Kindl at specialty beer stores.  I wish that was still around these days to show people what a Berliner Weisse is supposed to taste like.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2020, 06:32:42 pm »
I second missing Pete’s Wicked Ale, but you never knew what the beer would be like since it was contract brewed at several places. Really enjoyable when right, but could be completely forgettable.

Another one that I miss, is Becks Dark. Nothing spectacular, but entirely enjoyable.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2020, 07:15:10 pm »
Twenty five or so years ago, I used to find Berliner Kindl at specialty beer stores.  I wish that was still around these days to show people what a Berliner Weisse is supposed to taste like.

Did you have Schultheis back in the day? Very different, some say more traditional.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2020, 07:48:10 pm »

Did you have Schultheis back in the day? Very different, some say more traditional.
No, I was never able to find it.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2020, 08:42:30 pm »
Two regionals from Deschutes':

Buzzsaw Brown Ale - Nice chocolatey American Brown Ale with a nice NW piney hop profile.  It's been gone at least 10 or 15 years now.
Twilight Ale - This used to be their summer beer until about 3 years ago.  It was a really poundable American Blonde with a citrusy hop bill that only hit about 28 IBUs.  Less caramel and less bitterness than Mirror Pond.

This was my goto lawnmower beer in the summer until they stopped making it a few years ago.  Sad to see both go.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2020, 10:13:26 pm »
I second missing Pete’s Wicked Ale, but you never knew what the beer would be like since it was contract brewed at several places. Really enjoyable when right, but could be completely forgettable.

Another one that I miss, is Becks Dark. Nothing spectacular, but entirely enjoyable.
Agreed on Beck's Dark. When it was around it was an easy to find, easy to drink schwarzbier.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 05:44:18 am »

Agreed on Beck's Dark. When it was around it was an easy to find, easy to drink schwarzbier.

Yeah, I remember that as a regularly available choice in a bottle at restaurants as one of a few decent choices along with SA and Bass Ale before beer menus exploded in size.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 06:39:44 am »
Original Rolling Rock from Old Latrobe's Glass Lined Tanks ... when I was a kid we used to buy a case or two a week of returnable bottles. It had a weird flavor that later on I realized was DMS. It was obviously best when ice cold. But I have some fond late night memories of being either underage or slightly of age and destroying cases of those with friends.

Can you get MGD any more? I used to love MGD. And Michelob - that was an actual tasty lager back in the days awash of BMC.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 07:37:33 am »
Original Rolling Rock from Old Latrobe's Glass Lined Tanks ... when I was a kid we used to buy a case or two a week of returnable bottles. It had a weird flavor that later on I realized was DMS. It was obviously best when ice cold. But I have some fond late night memories of being either underage or slightly of age and destroying cases of those with friends.

Can you get MGD any more? I used to love MGD. And Michelob - that was an actual tasty lager back in the days awash of BMC.

I believe Rolling Rock was loaded with flaws, not just DMS.  ;D

But we drank it by the wagon load as kids as well. 

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2020, 08:26:37 am »

We used to get Michelob a lot as kids as a step up from bud. Probably the payday beer and stroh’s and others were the Thursday before payday beer. Wasn’t there a michelob dark?
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2020, 10:18:49 am »

I believe Rolling Rock was loaded with flaws, not just DMS.  ;D

But we drank it by the wagon load as kids as well.

It probably was truly awful! But not as bad as Iron City which, even as a kid, I knew was bad. Even at $6 a case I couldn't drink it.

I'd love to find a Michelob Dark on the shelf today!

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2020, 10:34:32 am »
Is Old Style still available, maybe not where I'm at?

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2020, 01:11:15 pm »
I wish I could get the Bert Grant beers. Some of my favorite craft beers from the early 90’s. I remember they seemed to be bursting with flavor apart from the usual macro stuff at the time. I wonder what I would think of it now if I could taste it? Sierra Nevada and Bert Grant are some of my first, fond memories of American micro beer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2020, 01:44:32 pm »
New Belgium 2 Below.

This was their winter seasonal in the very end of the 2000s and then appeared in the winter mix pack a few years ago. It's not an explosive beer but it hits the right spot in winter. It's one of those beers I keep meaning to go back and clone but I never end up brewing.

All of Otter Creek's core line before Harpoon took them over, especially Stovepipe Porter and their Pale Ale.

I remember Otter Creek was one of the few breweries other than Harpoon and Sam Adams we would see from the northwest in Texas in the 2000s/early 2010s. I think it disappeared from the market around the same time Harpoon mostly disappeared. I came across an old six pack holder for their kolsch. I remember it being a nice beer. Too bad Harpoon seems to have ruined them.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2020, 01:45:57 pm »
Who made that beer called "long hammer" had it in Olympia Washington in about maybe 2004. First beer I had that wasn't Red Dog

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk