Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer you wish was still available  (Read 3708 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Beer you wish was still available
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2020, 03:08:12 pm »
Who made that beer called "long hammer" had it in Olympia Washington in about maybe 2004. First beer I had that wasn't Red Dog

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk
That's Red Hook.

Speaking of "whatever happened to..." macro beers, anyone remember Red Wolf from the 90s? Nothing amazing, but better than most of the crap Busch puts out.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline kpfoleyjr

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2020, 03:38:02 pm »
In my early introduction-to-beer days, I liked to drink bock beer.  Back then its availability was seasonal.   I couldn’t wait for the Alex Dreier commercials to come out on Chicago TV and radio stations announcing that Meister Brau “bock is back.”  Would only drink it and Stroh’s bock while it lasted, until the next year. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: November 16, 2020, 08:31:37 am »
New Belgium 2 Below.

This was their winter seasonal in the very end of the 2000s and then appeared in the winter mix pack a few years ago. It's not an explosive beer but it hits the right spot in winter. It's one of those beers I keep meaning to go back and clone but I never end up brewing.

Man I loved 2 below, a really delicious winter seasonal release I'd look forward to. At the time I lived 30 minutes from the brewery so it was reliably fresh and had great hops flavor. I remember sitting in my garage with it snowing out and sipping that beer. I was quite bummed when they decided to replace it with a different winter beer which I didn't care for.
Shawn Crawford  -  Rio Rancho, NM.  
 BJCP, Worthogs Homebrew Club of New Mexico

Life is good. Beer makes it gooder.

Offline Tfwebster

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2020, 07:20:25 pm »
Chimay blue label back when it was lower priced,  better made, and harder to come by.
If reading about homebrewing is your thing, join Brewer's Book Club at  https://www.facebook.com/groups/754108348475546/

Offline firedome_56

• 1st Kit
« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2020, 02:31:44 pm »
Among the beers I used to drink but can't get now would be JW Dundee Honey Brown. It used to be everywhere but today nowhere.  A beer I never had but have always wanted to try was Ballentine. My Dad drank it & when I was a kid & we would sing the Tag Line, "Make mine a Ballentine ". I make a Ballentine clone from Michal Steel.  I'd love to see how it tasted compared to mine.
Along the same line, how about "Beers they don't make anymore & we should all be glad."
Jax (The beal jeer), Lone Star, Stroh, Schlitz & worst of all Old English 800 Malt Liquor. 
Oddly enough there was a furniture polish of the same name which tasted about the same. In college it was $5 a case but if you bought 1 case the liquor store gave another for free. It was so bad that I couldn't give it away to college guys.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2020, 02:42:49 pm »
Among the beers I used to drink but can't get now would be JW Dundee Honey Brown. It used to be everywhere but today nowhere.

I too enjoyed the Honey Brown years ago - not sure that I'd like it as much now but would be interested to find out. I think someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2020, 06:05:19 pm »
I'll never forget pouring the Honey "Brown" into a glass and being like "WTF ain't it brown???" lol

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2020, 06:27:52 pm »
OMG, Dundee's Honey Brown!!!! That brings back some memories. That was the first non-BMC beer I ever had, and I loved it. I drank that by the case when I was in college in Michigan, waaaaaaaaaaaay back when. Was it only distributed in the midwest? It would be so cool if I could go back in a time machine and taste all the early "craft" beers from my younger days (daze?) with the palate I have today.

Offline ravenwater

• Brewer
« Reply #38 on: November 20, 2020, 07:25:13 pm »
OMG, Dundee's Honey Brown!!!! That brings back some memories. That was the first non-BMC beer I ever had, and I loved it. I drank that by the case when I was in college in Michigan, waaaaaaaaaaaay back when. Was it only distributed in the midwest? It would be so cool if I could go back in a time machine and taste all the early "craft" beers from my younger days (daze?) with the palate I have today.
That was a part of my musings when I started this thread- wondering how I’d feel now about beers that brought me much pleasure decades ago. Some  I’d probably find lacking now, and I know my tastes have changed a bit, but I imagine some I could embrace as long lost friends.  ;D

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #39 on: November 21, 2020, 07:27:05 am »
Three that come to mind are Two Brothers "The Biter End" (thanks for jogging my memory on this one, Ken), "Pete's Winter Brew"  (I once asked Pete Slosberg for the recipe as I got to know him when I worked at Hoppin' Frog) and "Thomas Hardy's Ale" (I still have a few bottles of the '93 and '94 here that I am hoarding and they are still delicious).

There is one other that just came to mind, "Black Forest Lager" made by Crooked River Brewing Co. in Cleveland.  That brewery has been out of business for about 15 years or so now and the beer was one that I drank a lot of when I started drinking craft beer
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #40 on: November 21, 2020, 07:40:06 am »
Three that come to mind are Two Brothers "The Biter End" (thanks for jogging my memory on this one, Ken), "Pete's Winter Brew"  (I once asked Pete Slosberg for the recipe as I got to know him when I worked at Hoppin' Frog) and "Thomas Hardy's Ale" (I still have a few bottles of the '93 and '94 here that I am hoarding and they are still delicious).

There is one other that just came to mind, "Black Forest Lager" made by Crooked River Brewing Co. in Cleveland.  That brewery has been out of business for about 15 years or so now and the beer was one that I drank a lot of when I started drinking craft beer
Someone started making Thomas Hardy again a few years ago. I have a few bottles stashed away in my beer cellar with my 03's and 04's

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #41 on: November 21, 2020, 10:36:32 am »
New Belgium 2 Below.

This was their winter seasonal in the very end of the 2000s and then appeared in the winter mix pack a few years ago. It's not an explosive beer but it hits the right spot in winter. It's one of those beers I keep meaning to go back and clone but I never end up brewing.

Man I loved 2 below, a really delicious winter seasonal release I'd look forward to. At the time I lived 30 minutes from the brewery so it was reliably fresh and had great hops flavor. I remember sitting in my garage with it snowing out and sipping that beer. I was quite bummed when they decided to replace it with a different winter beer which I didn't care for.

Good news for all of us--it's in this year's winter mix pack.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #42 on: November 23, 2020, 01:53:55 pm »
Pfeiffer’s, that $h1+ is famous.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: November 23, 2020, 01:56:32 pm »
Orval, before they made their latest tweaks to the water.

Offline brandymanhattan

• 1st Kit
« Reply #44 on: November 23, 2020, 05:18:02 pm »
Firestone Walker - Wookey Jack
Deschutes - Not the Stoic
Stone - Smoked Porter
Dogfish Head - 61 Minute IPA