Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast question  (Read 796 times)

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Yeast question
« on: November 12, 2020, 10:50:16 am »
Kind of a random silly question but,When browsing through yeast online, I sometimes see a yeast called the brewery’s ‘H strain or D strain and I can’t seem to find what that is referring to. I’m assuming H is house strain but no idea what D is??

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Yeast question
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2020, 11:04:29 am »
haploid and diploid?

A diploid cell is a cell that contains two complete sets of chromosomes.

Haploid is a cell having a single set of chromosomes.

The haploid cells undergo a simple lifecycle of mitosis and growth, and under conditions of high stress will, in general, die. This is the asexual form of the fungus.

The diploid cells (the preferential 'form' of yeast) similarly undergo a simple lifecycle of mitosis and growth. The rate at which the mitotic cell cycle progresses often differs substantially between haploid and diploid cells. 

Under conditions of stress, diploid cells can undergo sporulation, entering meiosis and producing four haploid spores, which can subsequently mate. This is the sexual form of the fungus.

(I know very little about all this, but this is what I have in my notes on yeast)
« Last Edit: November 12, 2020, 11:20:33 am by BrewBama »

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
Re: Yeast question
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 05:47:22 am »
haploid and diploid?

A diploid cell is a cell that contains two complete sets of chromosomes.

Haploid is a cell having a single set of chromosomes.

The haploid cells undergo a simple lifecycle of mitosis and growth, and under conditions of high stress will, in general, die. This is the asexual form of the fungus.

The diploid cells (the preferential 'form' of yeast) similarly undergo a simple lifecycle of mitosis and growth. The rate at which the mitotic cell cycle progresses often differs substantially between haploid and diploid cells. 

Under conditions of stress, diploid cells can undergo sporulation, entering meiosis and producing four haploid spores, which can subsequently mate. This is the sexual form of the fungus.

(I know very little about all this, but this is what I have in my notes on yeast)

You keep great notes!  Very good and educational explanation!!
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline Jayborracho

• Cellarman
Re: Yeast question
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2020, 12:26:24 am »
Thanks for the great response, looks like I was way off in my guess on what it meant lol.