Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: American Barleywine  (Read 1117 times)

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
American Barleywine
« on: November 12, 2020, 08:07:08 pm »
I’m getting ready to make my annual Barleywine which I have done for the last 14 years. It is one beer that I always look forward to every year because I love sipping on a Barleywine in the cold winter months. I always have a vertical tasting of multiple years with my wife and some friends. Last year a friend brought over a my Barleywine that I gave him 10 years ago that he found in the back of his beer fridge. It was still very drinkable and surprisingly still hoppy with some obvious oxidation notes. I always make an American Barleywine which has a high dose of American hops and I switch up the grain bill and hops from year to year and it’s fun to compare the different years. This year I was thinking of adding some Vienna malt, which I have never done before. I have seen Vienna malt added in some IPA recipes and was wondering if this would add to the malt character? The grain bill would be
82% Two Row
12% Vienna
6% Crystal 60

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: American Barleywine
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2020, 08:38:18 am »
Looks good to me
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2020, 10:12:13 am »
When do you drink your barleywine? I make mine around May or June and let them age 6 to 9 months.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2020, 10:39:54 am »
When do you drink your barleywine? I make mine around May or June and let them age 6 to 9 months.
They seem to meld together nicely around 9 months. Some taste fantastic at 5 years. Generally, I will taste some of the new batch at around 3 months and compare them to previous years. The fresher ones tend to taste like a big bodied Double IPA.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Kevin

• Brewmaster
  • Great beer. Less work. More fun.
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2020, 07:49:34 am »
I asked because it appeared as if you were making your barleywine now for this coming winter.
“He was a wise man who invented beer.”
- Plato

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 09:54:14 am »
this is a style that kveik excels in as well. Its much more tolerant of stressful conditions than alot of other brewers yeast.