I am planning a 2xBock so I ordered some Diamond yeast to try it out. It would be the first time for this yeast in my brewery so I am looking forward to it.
I ordered from Label Peelers and got their fast free shipping as usual. ...but dadgomit if one of the three packs of yeast is soft. It lost its vacuum seal. First time I’ve ever received a Lallemand product without a vacuum seal.
I shot Label Peelers a note to see how they can react but I wanted to brew Fri and even as good as they are I don’t see how I’ll get a replacement pack in time.
I have ingredients for a Porter as well and may brew that Fri but I really am wanting to get the 2xBock going so it will have some lager time. Did I mention this is my Christmas beer I should have already brewed but life keeps interrupting my brewing plan? I am already pushing it with a week to ferment and five weeks to lager ...and now this delay.
I see four options:
1) don’t worry and pitch all three risking contamination
2) just pitch two packs in a 2xBock wort (33% less than mfr recommendation) risking sluggish performance
3) wait to get another pack risking less lager time
4) brew the Porter Fri and as soon as it’s done (~5 days) brew the 2xBock risking less lager time
I am leaning towards option 3. I can probably brew next Tues giving Label Peelers time to ship. That four days of lager time probably won’t make a lot of difference. (So I tell myself)
Just think if this was the worst problem in our life. We’d have it made in the shade.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk