Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Well crap...  (Read 1462 times)

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Well crap...
« on: November 10, 2020, 11:40:15 am »
I am planning a 2xBock so I ordered some Diamond yeast to try it out. It would be the first time for this yeast in my brewery so I am looking forward to it.

I ordered from Label Peelers and got their fast free shipping as usual. ...but dadgomit if one of the three packs of yeast is soft. It lost its vacuum seal. First time I’ve ever received a Lallemand product without a vacuum seal.

I shot Label Peelers a note to see how they can react but I wanted to brew Fri and even as good as they are I don’t see how I’ll get a replacement pack in time.

I have ingredients for a Porter as well and may brew that Fri but I really am wanting to get the 2xBock going so it will have some lager time. Did I mention this is my Christmas beer I should have already brewed but life keeps interrupting my brewing plan?  I am already pushing it with a week to ferment and five weeks to lager ...and now this delay.

I see four options:

1) don’t worry and pitch all three risking contamination
2) just pitch two packs in a 2xBock wort (33% less than mfr recommendation) risking sluggish performance
3) wait to get another pack risking less lager time
4) brew the Porter Fri and as soon as it’s done (~5 days) brew the 2xBock risking less lager time

I am leaning towards option 3.  I can probably brew next Tues giving Label Peelers time to ship. That four days of lager time probably won’t make a lot of difference. (So I tell myself)

Just think if this was the worst problem in our life. We’d have it made in the shade.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 06:29:46 pm by BrewBama »

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
Re: Well crap...
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2020, 11:53:24 am »
I would do option 1. Unless there's a large hole you can see, it's very unlikely enough microbial cells would have found their way into the sachet to cause any problems. Plus, pitching at ~50o would keep those microbes at bay during the usual 24-48 hr lag time. I wouldn't harvest this yeast, but since it's a doppelbock, you probably weren't going to do that anyway. If you use that sachet, just cut off a small bit in the corner to dump in the yeast, then fill it with water, seal it, and give it a squeeze. This will tell you if there was a hole in it or if it left the factory without being properly sealed (which granted, is very unlikely).

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2020, 12:45:19 pm »
I would do option 1. Unless there's a large hole you can see, it's very unlikely enough microbial cells would have found their way into the sachet to cause any problems. Plus, pitching at ~50o would keep those microbes at bay during the usual 24-48 hr lag time. I wouldn't harvest this yeast, but since it's a doppelbock, you probably weren't going to do that anyway. If you use that sachet, just cut off a small bit in the corner to dump in the yeast, then fill it with water, seal it, and give it a squeeze. This will tell you if there was a hole in it or if it left the factory without being properly sealed (which granted, is very unlikely).

Agreed
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2020, 06:07:52 pm »
Option 1 hands down. You are pitching a lot of yeast, presumably at its optimal temp and aeration, in a high gravity wort, soon to be a high abv beer. Bugs don’t have much of a chance.
I would wipe all the packs of yeast thoroughly with alcohol wipes or paper towel soaked with rubbing alcohol or such, as I like to do anyway. I would sort of squeeze out extra alcohol all over the limp pack to get it into any potential pinhole where critters may dwell. Even if there is some bad guys here I think the relatively massive amount of yeast and the high gravity are in your favor.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2020, 06:28:31 pm »
Option one it is. Thx for the support folks. I appreciate it.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2020, 06:39:14 pm »
Option one it is. Thx for the support folks. I appreciate it.

I love being able to run a question like that up the flagpole here. My guess is you would have come to the same conclusion but it’s always good to hear others’ thinking.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2020, 07:44:39 pm »
You could adjust batch size?  I still would go with what others suggested - door number 1!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2020, 09:11:39 pm »
I agree with #1. Remember that this is desiccated  yeast. Even if there was a contaminant present, it wouldn't be likely to reproduce on that medium.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2020, 09:22:51 pm »
I would go with option #1 because the numbers are in your favor.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2020, 09:31:58 pm »
I’d probably pitch one pack and save the second for another beer. But, I think you should go with option two ;) 33% less than the manufacturer’s recommended amount definitely in the ball park.

Option 5: head down to Pearly’s and pick up some 34/70. They may even have Diamond. I can’t remember.

Offline BrewBama

Well crap...
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2020, 08:03:15 am »
I have to run downtown this AM so I might stop by and see if they have Diamond. I won’t hold my breath but maybe they will. If not I’ll go with option one.

Edit: Surprise. Surprise. They didn’t have Diamond. Oh well.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2020, 01:06:24 pm by BrewBama »

Offline MNWayne

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2020, 09:13:12 am »
What am I missing?  What's wrong with building up a starter?
Far better to dare mighty things....

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2020, 09:27:23 am »
Dry yeast usually doesn’t call for a starter. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done of course.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2020, 09:48:46 am »

Dry yeast is propagated aerobically; therefore, it does not need a starter or even much in the way of wort aeration, that is, unless one is severely underpitching.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2020, 09:50:31 am »

I spoke to Lallemand about it.  When dry yeast is produced, growth is stopped during sterol production.  You want the yeast using those sterols in your wort, not a starter.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell