Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Three-tier brewstand for induction or electric brewing  (Read 777 times)

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
Three-tier brewstand for induction or electric brewing
« on: November 15, 2020, 08:01:15 am »
I would rather buy than build a stand, but the only game in town when it comes to three-tier stands that are designed for brewing without propane is the Blichmann top-tier stand with three shelves.  It is a nice piece of kit, but the price is rather high.  I prefer a traditional three-tier British-style brew house with a non-heated hot liquor back and a non-heated mash/lauter tun; therefore, my needs are much simpler than the guys who use heated everything setups.  I am a 5-gallon at most brewer, so I can lift everything, which eliminates the need for a pump.  However, I am planing to use a pump to pump hot liquor up to my hot liquor back.  What I am attempting to avoid is having to use a pump to pump water from my hot liquor back to my mash/lauter tun  and from my mash/lauter tun to my kettle while sparging.  I know that that setup works for a lot of guys, but gravity is free and failure proof.

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Three-tier brewstand for induction or electric brewing
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2020, 06:48:32 am »
I know it's not exactly what you want but it sounds something like the Center of Gravity vertical structure, especially if space is tight. It is made with 3 gas burners however, it is on sale from a couple of on-line shops for $300 w/ free shipping. Now if only you can find someone who is interested in 3 gas burners. . .

Roger

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2020, 03:51:38 pm »
If NB replaced the burner assemblies with shelves, that sculpture would work well.  However, I doubt that it would a hit with non-propane users.  It appears that the majority of people who switch to an electricity-powered brewery tend to go for all of the bells and whistles with a single-tier-based setup.  I just want to keep things simple because simple is reliable.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2020, 05:43:53 pm »
I wonder if you could either hire a welder to put one together for you or go the unistrut route and find someone handy to bolt one together.

I use a commercial grade induction burner and batch-sparge so I just essentially have a two-tier where I run liquor to the mash tun via gravity then lift the tun up to the table that the burner sets on during the mash and put the rest of my liquor in a cooler for sparge.  Its more lifting and moving than you sound like you want to do, eh?

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 01:17:02 pm »
Yes, I am looking for a stand because I would like to build a brew house that does not require much in the way of heavy lifting.  In previous brew houses, I would place my hot liquor back on my kitchen counter, my mash tun in a kitchen chair, and the kettle on the floor on top a thin telephone book to shield the floor from the heat. That setup works perfectly with a 5-gallon beverage cooler-based mash tun (the squat 7-gallon beverage cooler also works well, but adjustments have to be made for a 10-gallon beverage cooler), a 5-gallon beverage cooler-based hot liquor back and 10-gallon kettle because the seat of the average kitchen chair is between 17 to 18" from the floor and the average counter top is 36" from the floor.  I would then have to hump my kettle out to my propane stove.  While that simple setup was not all that bad when move 4.25 gallons in kettle from my kitchen to my stove for 3-gallon (kegged volume) batches, 7 to 7.5 gallons is an entirely different subject.  I could do it with ease when I was young.  However, I am reaching an age where I could get hurt. I am also in a position where I have dedicated brewing space in my garage; therefore, I can afford to have a brew stand.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Three-tier brewstand for induction or electric brewing
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2020, 03:57:33 pm »
I guess I have a two tier stand. I heat all my brewing liquor in the BK, gravity drain off my strike liquor into a HLT (water cooler) and set it on the shelf beside my setup. Then I pump (underlet) the strike liquor from the BK into the dry grain in the MLT, recirculate during mash, pump the first run to the BK, gravity drain the HLT into the MLT, recirculate, and pump the second runnings to the BK. The MLT and BK are on the same level (tier).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 17, 2020, 04:02:07 pm by BrewBama »