Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: German Pilsner Malt In A Porter?  (Read 2329 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: German Pilsner Malt In A Porter?
« Reply #15 on: November 17, 2020, 06:40:11 pm »
My wife and I (yes, my wife!) are going to brew up a London Porter this week. Might go with a combination of Vienna / Munich in the base grain bill.
Or maybe Pils / Vienna.

I did a London porter recently with a blend of pils and Munich. Very happy with it.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 18, 2020, 07:03:29 am »
Although using pils malt is not a bad choice, I personally use Crisp Maris Otter in my porters and stouts because it is a bit richer in flavor than pilsner malt when I chew a sample of the grains.  But that is me.  The old addage surfaces again.  It's your beer, make it how you want to.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2020, 09:24:45 am »
Although using pils malt is not a bad choice, I personally use Crisp Maris Otter in my porters and stouts because it is a bit richer in flavor than pilsner malt when I chew a sample of the grains.  But that is me.  The old addage surfaces again.  It's your beer, make it how you want to.
Ive tried to use pils malt as a sub in porters and stouts when I was out of Golden Promise or Great Western (my other base malts) and I found a difference I didnt like, the mouthfeel was leaner and the flavor wasnt as round.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: November 18, 2020, 10:32:03 am »
Ive tried to use pils malt as a sub in porters and stouts when I was out of Golden Promise or Great Western (my other base malts) and I found a difference I didnt like, the mouthfeel was leaner and the flavor wasnt as round.

Based on all of the feedback so far, I'll go with Pils / Vienna / Munich for the base malts.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: November 18, 2020, 10:43:27 am »
sounds good. I have a sack of munich malt on the way and am going to experiment using it to replace pale malt in my stout.