Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I have a hop problem...  (Read 1875 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
I have a hop problem...
« on: November 18, 2020, 11:36:00 am »
I've been long overdue for a freezer cleaning, so I finally decided to go through my hops. I had to have at least 50 pounds in there. This is what I have left after I threw out the unsalvageable ones (had some ice cream melt on them during a power outage years ago). The sad thing is, as I'm looking at this pile I'm finding a few things that I need to buy

The top section is my keeper pile. Keep an eye on the classifieds section in the next week or so. I'll be dividing the other pile into a few random lots and I'll send them for the price of shipping. Some of it is as old as 2011, but they've all been stored frozen, most of them vacuum sealed, and many still unopened since I bought them.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HighVoltageMan!

• Assistant Brewer
Re: I have a hop problem...
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2020, 11:42:04 am »
I have gone through my hops in the freezer and was ashamed I spent so much money on them and then forgot about them. I have formulated recipes based on my extra hops. Some were good and some not so good. I was disappointed by some citra that 3 years old, it didn't make as good of beer as it did when it was fresh. The best hops are freshest hops.

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2020, 12:00:50 pm »
I just ramped up my supply and I have more hops on hand right now than ever before.  In the last few months I have gotten Goldings, Edelweiss, Ultra, Santiam, C148, Hallertau, Tettnanger, Northern Brewer, Saaz, Hersbrucker, Amarillo, Glacier, Simcoe, Citra, Mt. Hood, Sterling, Loral, Spalt and some I can't remember.  I did toss some older Crystal, Styrian Goldings and Willamette.  I'm not really a HOPHEAD so it takes me some time to go through them.  But when the price is  :o you just can't say no. 
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 12:05:35 pm by Village Taphouse »
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2020, 12:09:47 pm »
I recently tossed maybe 20 lb.  Then I turned around and ordered 20 more.  I have a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2020, 12:34:48 pm »
I just ramped up my supply and I have more hops on hand right now than ever before.  In the last few months I have gotten Goldings, Edelweiss, Ultra, Santiam, C148, Hallertau, Tettnanger, Northern Brewer, Saaz, Hersbrucker, Amarillo, Glacier, Simcoe, Citra, Mt. Hood, Sterling, Loral, Spalt and some I can't remember.  I did toss some older Crystal, Styrian Goldings and Willamette.  I'm not really a HOPHEAD so it takes me some time to go through them.  But when the price is  :o you just can't say no.
That's the thing. I buy in bulk because the price is right, but I rarely use it all up. And I was always looking to try something new; some varieties I fell in love with and became staples. Others not so much and I ended up with half a pound just taking up freezer space.

This year I've started back up after a few years of not brewing much. I've moved from every beer being a hop bomb IPA or a single hop brew to try new varieties, to brewing more lagers and balanced ales. Also, Cryo hops are so much better than their traditional pellet versions for my purposes, that I can't see myself wasting freezer space on T90s if there is a cryo version available.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 01:23:23 pm »
... some varieties I fell in love with and became staples. Others not so much ...
Hello... BELMA anyone?  :D

When I hear about a hop that others are using and it sounds good to me, I want to try it.  But sometimes I can tell when I'm not going to like it so I don't bother.  Every time I use a new hop that I don't like that's another batch where I'm not using a hop that I do like!  :D
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline ExtractDoug

• 1st Kit
  • Keeping it simple and consistent with extract
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 01:29:50 pm »
It's a good think costco doesn't sell hops, or you would really have a problem!

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 01:46:47 pm »
True.  Honey, I picked up 400 pounds of MOTUEKA!

A question:  are you guys vac-sealing your hops?  I picked up an El Cheapo sealer on Amazon and it's been fantastic so far.  It creates a very good seal and the hop bags are as hard as a rock.  My hops are staying much fresher much longer. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 02:15:20 pm »
I can quit any time.

Yes, I use a vacuum sealer and store the hops in the freezer.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 02:47:45 pm »
I have a Food Saver that I seal hops, grain, and yeast with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 02:55:16 pm »
I can quit any time.

Yes, I use a vacuum sealer and store the hops in the freezer.

Same here..vac sealed in freezer.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2020, 02:56:43 pm »
I have a Food Saver that I seal hops, grain, and yeast with.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

And food...i probably use it more for that than anything else.  Buy in bulk at Costco, divide,  seal and freeze.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2020, 02:57:41 pm »

A question:  are you guys vac-sealing your hops?  I picked up an El Cheapo sealer on Amazon and it's been fantastic so far.  It creates a very good seal and the hop bags are as hard as a rock.  My hops are staying much fresher much longer.

One thing I learned early on is to not cheap out on bags.  Cheap bags can let air in through the surface of the bag.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2020, 03:06:52 pm »

One thing I learned early on is to not cheap out on bags.  Cheap bags can let air in through the surface of the bag.
I have had the occasional bag look very solid when I put it into the freezer only to find it "soft" later.  As a result, I double and sometimes triple seal it.  Since then I have not had issues. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2020, 03:07:32 pm »
Ken from Chicago.