Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone else grown tired of IPAs  (Read 5953 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Anyone else grown tired of IPAs
« on: November 20, 2020, 07:36:27 pm »
My wonderful better half planned a brewery get away for us for my birthday, and I've had some very tasty beers, one of which is probably the best pilsner I've ever had. But holy God have IPAs taken over every brewery I've been to so far. Ad I've gotten older India pale ales give me terrible heart burn and all around taste almost the same or so identical it's hard to tell apart

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Re: Anyone else grown tired of IPAs
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 07:37:01 pm »
I did have two very delicious vanilla porters from two different breweries in the area

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2020, 07:39:11 pm »
Definitely. Though, it was funny, I was living in Bavaria a few years back and I got to drink so much wonderful beer but then I got to the point where I really wanted an IPA..

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2020, 07:45:06 pm »
Definitely. Though, it was funny, I was living in Bavaria a few years back and I got to drink so much wonderful beer but then I got to the point where I really wanted an IPA..

That's a terrible problem to have!

Offline Stand

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2020, 08:30:14 pm »
Used to only brew IPAs.  I still get the itch a couple times a year, but it's a big world of beer! 

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2020, 09:20:37 pm »
A lot of people must like extremely hoppy high ABV beers because the supply certainly seems to be meeting the demand.  I guess I’m just not in that market.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2020, 11:11:01 pm »
Nope.

Fire Rooster

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2020, 03:17:13 am »
I'm burned out on IPA's.
Too much of a good thing gets you sick of it.
Variety is the spice of life.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 05:50:28 am by Fire Rooster »

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2020, 06:02:00 am »
I am not burned out on IPA’s and around here anyway the ipas breweries are turning out are by and large not tongue scraping bitter bombs. They are usually well balanced and there is a lot of variety within the ipa selection from west coast pine/citrus to neipa fruity and soft. Nice variety of abv too although what I do tend to avoid are double ipas, they are often a mess and I am usually driving.
That being said I do wish the selection was not 75% ipas so that there were more varieties of English pale ales, brown ales, Amber ales, and porters. Most breweries seem to have a decent stout. Besides the English pale ales the thing I would like to see is a greater variety of lagers. A lot of breweries seem to have the attitude that they need to put out a Pilsner so a macro drinker dragged to a microbrewery by their hip ipa drinking friends has a choice. If there is a second lager on the menu it’s often an “ipl”.
Fortunately there is a lager only brewery here in Massachusetts, Jack’s Abbey. It’s not near me so I rarely go but their cans are widely distributed here and they are very good and not overpriced.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2020, 06:15:32 am »
Definitely not burned out on IPA’s, heck I just kegged one last night.  But then again I was never waving the IPA flag to begin with. What I do get bored with however, are overrated beers, and boy howdy, there are a lot of them taking up valuable shelf space, usually with labels that have big craft beer names on them.

Offline KellerBrauer

• Brewmaster
  • Bottoms Up!
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2020, 06:39:37 am »
I prefer a good malt forward brew - Pilsner, Porter, etc.  But my son prefers the high IBU stuff.  To me, a good beer has balance.
Joliet, IL

All good things come to those who show patients and perseverance while maintaining a positive and progressive attitude. 😉

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2020, 06:40:35 am »
To add on, unless I'm out drinking, I usually just drink my homebrew or select beers that have stood the test of time. New Belgium, Sierra Nevada, and Deschutes top off that list. There are others I buy from but I'm not the hype/whale chaser I was back in 2012-2015.. calmed down a lot lol the LA beer scene was amazing in 2010/2011... So maybe I should back that up a few years.. but there was a year..  maybe 2012? Where if it was not an IPA, I did not buy it. I don't know what flipped but my palate was crushed and I avoided them for like 4 months. I'm glad when I made my exit Heady Topper was the only must have new IPA. I can't do this new stuff. I've had a few that were pretty good but I'm happy with my little mellow beer life now. I haven't brewed and IPA in a long time but I've made quite a few Pales over the years.. I guess I brewed Virtual Haze but that was a special occasion.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2020, 06:47:02 am »
I'm fortunate to not live too too far from an all lager brewery, about 45 minutes. It's called Gun powder falls brewing south of shrewsbury PA.

I too love malt forward beers and am a HUGE fan of variety, it is indeed the spice of life

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:16:07 am by Oiscout »

Offline goose

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2020, 07:10:08 am »
My wife is the hophead in the house so I keep an IPA on tap for her.  I currently have two, my Amarillo IPA (which is her favorite) and an Imperial Red IPA that is not super high ABV but pretty hoppy which I have talked about here in the past.  I try to balance them between the malt and the hops so that the bitterness doesn't get overpowering.

The remainder of the beers on tap are an ESB, a Coffee Porter, a RIS aged on Crown Royal soaked oak chips, and an Belgian Tripel.  That way I can get my malt fix while she gets a hop fix.  However, I do drink some of the IPA's from time to time (for quality control purposes).  As a side note, she will drink all of the beers on tap and has grown fond of the RIS and the Tripel.  So we have the best of both worlds here.  Just made a pumpernickel porter that I will be keggng in a few days as well.

Our local brewery, JAFB has 14 beeres on tap, 6 of which are IPA's (which I personally think is a bit much), but they sell for him which is why he makes so many.  Many of them have Simcoe in them which the brewmaster likes but is a bit too catty for us. That said, we can always find something to drink when we are there or carry out.

Note to Olscout:  I used to get heartburn from IPA's as well but that went away when I started using a vinegar based salad dressing on my salads.  The vinegar changed the pH in my stomach enough that the heartburn went away.  Pepperoni used to do the same thing but doesn't bother me anymore.
Goose Steingass
Wooster, OH
Society of Akron Area Zymurgists (SAAZ)
Wayne County Brew Club
Mansfield Brew Club
BJCP Certified

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2020, 07:15:11 am »
My wife is the hophead in the house so I keep an IPA on tap for her.  I currently have two, my Amarillo IPA (which is her favorite) and an Imperial Red IPA that is not super high ABV but pretty hoppy which I have talked about here in the past.  I try to balance them between the malt and the hops so that the bitterness doesn't get overpowering.

The remainder of the beers on tap are an ESB, a Coffee Porter, a RIS aged on Crown Royal soaked oak chips, and an Belgian Tripel.  That way I can get my malt fix while she gets a hop fix.  However, I do drink some of the IPA's from time to time (for quality control purposes).  As a side note, she will drink all of the beers on tap and has grown fond of the RIS and the Tripel.  So we have the best of both worlds here.  Just made a pumpernickel porter that I will be keggng in a few days as well.

Our local brewery, JAFB has 14 beeres on tap, 6 of which are IPA's (which I personally think is a bit much), but they sell for him which is why he makes so many.  Many of them have Simcoe in them which the brewmaster likes but is a bit too catty for us. That said, we can always find something to drink when we are there or carry out.

Note to Olscout:  I used to get heartburn from IPA's as well but that went away when I started using a vinegar based salad dressing on my salads.  The vinegar changed the pH in my stomach enough that the heartburn went away.  Pepperoni used to do the same thing but doesn't bother me anymore.
I never thought of that, there are definitely a few IPAs that I do like and can stomach mostly. We don't go out a whole lot so sometimes it's discouraging to see 5 out of 10 beers being some version of an IPA. My buddy from the union hall makes an IPA that is well balanced carbonated and all around tasty and doesn't hurt my gullet. I swilll that everytime I'm over his place

« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 07:17:20 am by Oiscout »