Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone else grown tired of IPAs  (Read 5945 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Anyone else grown tired of IPAs
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2020, 12:39:42 pm »
 ;D
I've got 5 gal. each of 4 different IPAs on tap.
Out of how many taps?

... one (the pils) is aboput to get dumped.

I have a hoppy Blonde Ale I really want to like but it’s just not doing it for me. It’ll probably meet the same fate. It reminds me of Blatz.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I definitely did not rule out the possibility of Denny’s answer being 4
I kind of expected the answer to be 42.

;D
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2020, 01:12:59 pm »
I still like West Coast style IPAs. Hazy? Not so much.

Not even a little.  I keep trying them, but so far no joy.

I did find learning to brew them interesting and kinda fun. I can see their appeal and I can enjoy one if I'm in the mood.

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: November 21, 2020, 05:26:53 pm »
I still like West Coast style IPAs. Hazy? Not so much.
I went to a place with 66 taps and all the IPA's were hazy if I'm ordering one, give me that West Coast!

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Online Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
« Reply #33 on: November 21, 2020, 05:39:09 pm »
I went to a place with 66 taps and all the IPA's were hazy if I'm ordering one, give me that West Coast!
I had a brewing bud that I know send me some Hazy NE IPAs.  Some of the ones he sent me were quite good but really unusual.  Hazy does not begin to describe them.  Not very bitter.  Super, super juicy.  Almost like a fruit smoothie.  One was called Julius.  They were tasty but I just don't know how much of that I could drink. 

Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #34 on: November 21, 2020, 06:52:29 pm »
I've been to two breweries so far that have absolutely blown my mind, I even had an IPA I like. I take back half the bad things I've said about IPAs cheers!!! 7 breweries in two days!!! Gonna have to dry out next week

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
« Reply #35 on: November 21, 2020, 06:53:23 pm »
I had a brewing bud that I know send me some Hazy NE IPAs.  Some of the ones he sent me were quite good but really unusual.  Hazy does not begin to describe them.  Not very bitter.  Super, super juicy.  Almost like a fruit smoothie.  One was called Julius.  They were tasty but I just don't know how much of that I could drink. 

That’s Treehouse, they make some great stuff and have gotten huge. Rightfully so, they are the gold standard.
I like both west coast and the hazy juicy ones. I think a lot of people who don’t like the neipas have not had some good ones. The style got so big so fast that a lot of breweries needed to have one and didn’t know what they are doing. The good ones are bursting with flavor, well balanced, and go down so easy you want more. The bad ones are flaccid.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Andy Farke

• Brewer
  • Homebrewing Paleontologist
    • Andy's Brewing Blog
« Reply #36 on: November 21, 2020, 08:11:07 pm »
Our closest brewery, Claremont Craft Ales, has an IPA called Pepper & Peaches that is absolutely fantastic (it has both of those as ingredients, within a fairly modern-ish West Coast IPA). When I make an IPA at home, it's almost always a "traditional" West Coast IPA, with one or some combination of Cascade, Centennial, Columbus, Chinook, or other classic "C" hop. Once or twice a year I'll do one with the newer fruity hops, but typically I'll just buy that stuff commercially, because there are plenty of great examples already. I *do* like making a white IPA (I wish that style had lived, instead of hazies!)...basically, I brew the IPAs that just aren't made as much anymore by the local craft breweries.

Overall, I drink way less IPA than I did 10 years ago. That's not to say I've gotten away from hops -- I'm brewing a lot of German lagers and such, often with a fairly robust hop presence.
Facebook: Farke Brewing

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #37 on: November 21, 2020, 08:14:14 pm »
Speaking of IPA's that didn't survive, I wouldn't mind a Cascadian Dark Ale. Originated not far from my home. Also, let's brew some Brut IPA

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #38 on: November 22, 2020, 07:05:02 am »
We did 8 breweries In 2 days. If anyone lives in Pennsylvania I highly suggest Moo-Duck brewing in elizabethtown. Nice selection of very tasty on point brews and super cool staff. I had a blast

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #39 on: November 22, 2020, 08:18:58 am »

He sent me some, too.  Here are my reviews...https://www.experimentalbrew.com/blogs/denny/oh-say-can-you-see-through-your-beer

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #40 on: November 22, 2020, 08:57:50 am »
Although I've drank many examples of IPA's at brew club meetings and brewery tap rooms, I've never enjoyed IPAs enough to brew them.  My favorite beers are all ales and all on the dark side.  Porters, stouts, and brown ales.
It's easier to get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #41 on: November 22, 2020, 12:34:23 pm »
I know this may be ironic but have any of you who do not like the NEIPA style tried to brew one?  If so what did you think of your attempt?

Offline allenhuerta

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: November 22, 2020, 12:42:48 pm »
I know this may be ironic but have any of you who do not like the NEIPA style tried to brew one?  If so what did you think of your attempt?
I've brewed one. I thought it was good enough in small amounts. Others liked it quite a bit, but I couldn't do a whole pint at a time. I was happy when the keg kicked. The first few pours were fun but it lasted longer than I might have liked. Interesting to brew, nonetheless.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2020, 12:56:28 pm »

There are many styles I don't care to drink, so I don't brew them.  For example, rauchbier and helles as well as NEIPA.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2020, 01:49:06 pm »
I brew a fair amount of APA’s and Ambers. Sometimes I feel like my APA’s are IPA’s from 20 years ago. They are on the style edge IBU and hop flavor and aroma wise. Bigger IPA’s that turn into hop oil delivery vessels are not my thing. I want to taste beer and hops.