Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone else grown tired of IPAs  (Read 5852 times)

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Re: Anyone else grown tired of IPAs
« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2020, 05:13:20 pm »
Although I've drank many examples of IPA's at brew club meetings and brewery tap rooms, I've never enjoyed IPAs enough to brew them. ...
^^^This.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2020, 06:17:44 pm »
I know this may be ironic but have any of you who do not like the NEIPA style tried to brew one?  If so what did you think of your attempt?

Yep. Like I said earlier they are fun to brew. Definitely not an easy beer to pull off.

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #47 on: November 23, 2020, 04:14:26 am »
Other than Denny’s RIPA, I haven’t brewed an IPA in years.  I drink them occasionally, like last Saturday night when our Beer Club had a four pack virtual meet up with a brewer from a local brewery, as he described his brewing philosophy.  The four beers were a Pale Ale, West Coast IPA, Fruited sour ale, and oatmeal pastry stout.  Thankfully I was sharing with my wife....but they were all well received.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #48 on: November 23, 2020, 05:47:09 am »
I don't think I will ever get tired of West Coast IPA, but I don't care for NEIPA. I've tried many and only cared for a few.
Dan Chisholm

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2020, 05:58:34 am »
Although I've drank many examples of IPA's at brew club meetings and brewery tap rooms, I've never enjoyed IPAs enough to brew them.  My favorite beers are all ales and all on the dark side.  Porters, stouts, and brown ales.
Same!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2020, 06:05:45 am »
My wonderful better half planned a brewery get away for us for my birthday, and I've had some very tasty beers, one of which is probably the best pilsner I've ever had. But holy God have IPAs taken over every brewery I've been to so far. Ad I've gotten older India pale ales give me terrible heart burn and all around taste almost the same or so identical it's hard to tell apart

Someone needs to tell these craft brewers that there are beers besides IPA's.

In my youth IPA's were my favorite, especially the hoppy ones. Thankfully, I outgrew that phase of my beer drinking years ago.

It is rare to find a craft brewery that brews a good Pils, Marzen, Fest Bier, or Munich Helles. They exist, but they are pretty rare...at least in my part of the world.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2020, 06:07:47 am »
I know this may be ironic but have any of you who do not like the NEIPA style tried to brew one?  If so what did you think of your attempt?

Yep. Like I said earlier they are fun to brew. Definitely not an easy beer to pull off.
I think what Keith says right here is the problem, not an easy beer to pull off. There are a some fantastic ones that are hard to put down but too many that fall flat made by breweries checking a box on their menu. I think a lot of folks have tried some poor examples then poo poo them.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline BrewBama

Anyone else grown tired of IPAs
« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2020, 06:28:23 am »
...  One was called Julius.  They were tasty but I just don't know how much of that I could drink. 

If interested, there’s a full page recipe in the July/August 2019 Zymurgy that goes into pretty specific detail on how to brew a Julius ‘clone’.

Here’s a Juicy Bits recipe: https://beerandbrewing.com/weldwerks-brewing-co-juicy-bits-new-england-style-ipa/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 06:29:59 am by BrewBama »

Offline deckerhand

• Cellarman
« Reply #53 on: November 24, 2020, 04:01:28 pm »
I’ll take an ipa over the new trendy beers any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #54 on: November 24, 2020, 04:15:02 pm »
I’ll take an ipa over the new trendy beers any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hell you got two choices when you go out now, an IPA or a skittle steeped imperial london porter with bacon crumbles. But I may just be salty about where I live. If the brewer sells IPAs in volume and it's profitable makes sense to brew tons of em for consumption for the public. Just not my cup of tea.

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2020, 10:07:12 am »
My wonderful better half planned a brewery get away for us for my birthday, and I've had some very tasty beers, one of which is probably the best pilsner I've ever had. But holy God have IPAs taken over every brewery I've been to so far. Ad I've gotten older India pale ales give me terrible heart burn and all around taste almost the same or so identical it's hard to tell apart

In my youth IPA's were my favorite, especially the hoppy ones. Thankfully, I outgrew that phase of my beer drinking years ago.

It is rare to find a craft brewery that brews a good Pils, Marzen, Fest Bier, or Munich Helles. They exist, but they are pretty rare...at least in my part of the world.

they know other styles exist, but IPA's sell. ALOT. 75% of Russian Rivers tap sales is Pliny The Elder. Thank about that, a brewery that has dozens of world class beers and Pliny makes up 75% of their tap sales.
My professional brewer friends would love to not have half their taps dedicated to IPA's, but the market is driving that trend. They call Saisons "stays on" because they stay on tap so long. Another pro brewer jokes that staff make up 25 % of their porter consumption. Another told me their lager sales increased when they started just calling it a blonde ale.

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: November 26, 2020, 11:33:12 am »

they know other styles exist, but IPA's sell. ALOT. 75% of Russian Rivers tap sales is Pliny The Elder. Thank about that, a brewery that has dozens of world class beers and Pliny makes up 75% of their tap sales.
My professional brewer friends would love to not have half their taps dedicated to IPA's, but the market is driving that trend. They call Saisons "stays on" because they stay on tap so long. Another pro brewer jokes that staff make up 25 % of their porter consumption. Another told me their lager sales increased when they started just calling it a blonde ale.

My thinking is since good light lagers are so challenging to brew, and ales by and large are easier / less expensive to brew, most brew pubs stick with ales.
In my travels throughout Europe, finding an ale on tap is a bit rare...but there is a small brew pub in Amsterdam that had some ales. I'm sure there are others, but lagers seem to rule over there.

Offline Megary

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #57 on: November 26, 2020, 11:44:10 am »

My thinking is since good light lagers are so challenging to brew, and ales by and large are easier / less expensive to brew, most brew pubs stick with ales.
In my travels throughout Europe, finding an ale on tap is a bit rare...but there is a small brew pub in Amsterdam that had some ales. I'm sure there are others, but lagers seem to rule over there.

Or...more people just prefer Ales - be it IPAs or Stouts - than those who prefer lagers.  At least in the US.  And since these businesses want to actually make money, they brew what sells.  When tastes and trends shift to lagers, breweries will follow, no doubt.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #58 on: November 26, 2020, 12:43:10 pm »
I'm fortunate to not live too too far from an all lager brewery, about 45 minutes. It's called Gun powder falls brewing south of shrewsbury PA.

I live in Central Maryland, so I feel your pain with respect to IPA dominating shelf space around.  IPA is the new Budweiser when it comes to beer sales.  I need to check ou the brewery in Shrewsbury.   I am curious about the name because Gunpowder Falls is actually in Maryland; however, that part of Pennsylvania is mostly Marylanders who relocated over the border to escape the high cost of living in Maryland.  I used to fly fish the Gunpowder River, mostly the Prettyboy dam tailwater

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #59 on: November 26, 2020, 01:21:29 pm »
I bought a dog down in pretty boy, I live right across the line in Hanover. Gun powder falls beers were all pretty good I'm not s fan of helles and that was even pretty good. Their beer glasses are decently priced and they do only limited releases, I highly reccomend their Dunkel