Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anybody use a mash hydrometer?  (Read 1421 times)

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
Anybody use a mash hydrometer?
« on: November 24, 2020, 01:23:32 pm »
Anyone find a mash hydrometer useful for their process?

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
Re: Anybody use a mash hydrometer?
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2020, 02:30:13 pm »
It depends on what you mean by "mash hydrometer".  I would think all of use have a triple scale hydrometer and use it often.  It tells you where you are starting out and when you're done, at a minimum.

If you are talking about a hydrometer used to measure alcohol from the mash in a distillery, you're on the wrong site.  An alcohol hydrometer would not be of any use to beer brewers since they generally only go down to ~19% alcohol.  Even my highest octane beer hasn't ever been close to that.

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2020, 04:20:03 pm »
Brewing America - and they are a sponsor of Denny and Drew's podcast:

https://brewingamerica.com/products/american-made-beer-mashing-hydrometer-calibrated-at-155-degrees-fahrenheit-specific-gravity-pro-series-brewing-triple-scale

Yes, that's one of them, but I'm more interested in if you, Denny, Drew or anyone else actually uses one of these and how it aids your process?
« Last Edit: November 24, 2020, 04:23:23 pm by rungdalek »

Offline rungdalek

• Cellarman
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2020, 04:22:51 pm »
It depends on what you mean by "mash hydrometer".  I would think all of use have a triple scale hydrometer and use it often.  It tells you where you are starting out and when you're done, at a minimum.

If you are talking about a hydrometer used to measure alcohol from the mash in a distillery, you're on the wrong site.  An alcohol hydrometer would not be of any use to beer brewers since they generally only go down to ~19% alcohol.  Even my highest octane beer hasn't ever been close to that.

Paul

A mash hydrometer in brewing is used to measure the SG of the mash at various times throughout the mash to measure the progress of the mash.  They are generally calibrated at mash temperatures.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2020, 06:11:23 pm »

Maybe if you are using homegrown malt or undermodified malt ... can';t see any reason to use one with how highly modified the malt we have today. I've never used one and I commercially brewed for 10 years and haven't known any who do either.

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2020, 09:14:31 pm »

Maybe if you are using homegrown malt or undermodified malt ... can';t see any reason to use one with how highly modified the malt we have today. I've never used one and I commercially brewed for 10 years and haven't known any who do either.
I could see the benefit with the rise of craft maltsters. I've brewed with traditionally made Sainhuss malt and it would've been nice to not have to chill my sample down so much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2020, 09:30:44 pm »
I ck in process SG (20 min, 1st run, pre boil) with a refractometer.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 08:20:31 am »
I ck in process SG (20 min, 1st run, pre boil) with a refractometer.

Same here.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 08:49:17 am »
Brewing America - and they are a sponsor of Denny and Drew's podcast:

https://brewingamerica.com/products/american-made-beer-mashing-hydrometer-calibrated-at-155-degrees-fahrenheit-specific-gravity-pro-series-brewing-triple-scale

Yes, that's one of them, but I'm more interested in if you, Denny, Drew or anyone else actually uses one of these and how it aids your process?

I have one but I don't use it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 08:50:58 am »

I could see the benefit with the rise of craft maltsters. I've brewed with traditionally made Sainhuss malt and it would've been nice to not have to chill my sample down so much.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Using a metal cocktail shaker and bowl of ice water, I can chill a mash sample to 60F in 30 seconds.  60 seconds from boil temp.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell