Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Newbies yeast question  (Read 1622 times)

Offline adampwhitaker

• 1st Kit
Newbies yeast question
« on: November 22, 2020, 04:58:27 pm »
I'm about 40 brews into home brewing and have a preferred recipe which i make 3 23l tubs at a time. I use us05 yeast which is expensive. Can you make a starter from one pack and feed it up to pitch across all three tubs or doesn't it work that way?

Sent from my SM-T350 using Tapatalk

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Newbies yeast question
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 06:12:43 pm »
Sure you can!
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline adampwhitaker

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 07:38:58 pm »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2020, 08:34:54 am »
You can do that, but it's not recommended for dry yeast.  It can potentially be detrimental.  Go ahead and try if you like.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2020, 11:31:55 am »
I'm about 40 brews into home brewing and have a preferred recipe which i make 3 23l tubs at a time. I use us05 yeast which is expensive. Can you make a starter from one pack and feed it up to pitch across all three tubs or doesn't it work that way?

Where do you get your yeast? Maybe it's time to shop around; I've seen widely different prices for the same yeast at different shops.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2020, 12:19:26 pm »
The easiest thing to do is save slurry from one batch to the next.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2020, 01:38:59 pm »

Pete is spot on.  If you can brew a 5 gal batch or so, you can use one sachet for it and then harvest the whole cake for a large batch pitch (say 525 ml or so fresh harvested for your 3 x 23l batch) and still have some extra to store.  Pitch rate depends on a lot of factors, including ABV and lager versus ale style beer.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2020, 02:02:16 pm »
+2.  ^^^^^This

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dan Chisholm

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2020, 11:21:07 am »
You can do that, but it's not recommended for dry yeast.  It can potentially be detrimental.  Go ahead and try if you like.

It is more of a situation where a brewer loses the advantage of not having to aerate wort.  However, I agree with the pitch 23 liters of wort and crop yeast from that batch to pitch into larger batches.  Alternatively, the OP can start a 23L batch and step it up to a larger batch size the following day.   For 69L of wort, the minimum starter size should be no less than 3L (1L of starter per 23L tub).  That is a step rate of 1 to 23, which will get the job done.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2020, 02:03:17 pm by Saccharomyces »

Offline Bel Air Brewing

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2020, 03:40:13 pm »

Yes, we have been doing this for decades.
Not only does the harvested yeast perform better, but it also will save you $10 to $20 per 10 gallon batch.

Offline Descardeci

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2020, 09:50:13 am »

Gonna assume you're not from the US, because the US-05 dry yeast it not so expensive, but in my country it is, the guys make all the point there is about it, reuse the slurry, becareful with a high over-pitching, and make a starter it a good option, there a few things you need to pay atention, more sanitization, better aeration, but you can do without problem