Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Immersion Chiller Design  (Read 2656 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Immersion Chiller Design
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2020, 08:48:01 am »
Anyone here use a Scylla (or any other Jaded chiller for that matter) in the 6.5 gallon Anvil Foundry? That is one part of my system that could use some improvement. Given that I brew in my kitchen, and I have no way to connect my faucet directly to my immersion chiller, I am stuck sticking my faucet in a 5-gallon bucket that has a pond pump inside it to run my chiller. Despite having relatively cold tap water (low to mid 50's F), it still takes longer than I'd like to chill down to pitching temps. I'd love to knock 15-20 minutes off the end of my brew day.

Drew uses one with his Grainfather
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2020, 09:26:44 am »
This is the CuSS model for all in ones:

https://cussbrewing.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-all-in-one-tricoil

They do a special run for Anvil Foundry-compliant immersion chillers, as I understand it.  The founder of CuSS was affiliated with Jaded previously in the design end of the business, I believe.

I just got my chiller last week and used it - it works wonderfully and quickly!  I got my wort down to 58F in a matter of a few minutes - my well water is about 54F, though, at this time of year.  YMMV.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline Wilbur

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2020, 10:18:22 am »
I do kind of wish you could buy the foundry without the chiller. I wouldn't mind upgrading to a better chiller but it's a bit hard to do it when I've already got two.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2020, 02:07:50 pm »
The Anvil Foundry SS chiller works reasonably well, but I intend to use it in a recirc ice bath as many have suggested for the final few degree drop.

Offline Saccharomyces

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Deus ex machina
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2020, 10:01:36 am »
The founder of CuSS was affiliated with Jaded previously in the design end of the business, I believe.

He is one of the inventors listed on the multi-feed wort chiller patent (the JaDeD and Cus.S multi-feed wort chillers are patented).

https://patents.google.com/patent/USD777507S1/en
« Last Edit: November 29, 2020, 10:04:13 am by Saccharomyces »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2020, 01:15:43 pm »
Yes, I recall him telling that at a Homebrew Club pre-COVID presentation.  He’s a really nice guy, to boot.  Great products and he will answer any questions one might have.  Very responsive.