Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Kick Carrageenan or Whirlfloc tablets  (Read 1339 times)

Offline Hopspringseternal

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
Kick Carrageenan or Whirlfloc tablets
« on: November 17, 2020, 06:10:21 pm »
For general purposes, brewing ales, with extract kits, is Kick Carrageenan, or Whirlfloc, the better clarifier?  Are both equally good for ales, no matter what type of ale?  Thanks in advance.
Hopspringseternal

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
    • The new Mayfair Court Brewhouse
Re: Kick Carrageenan or Whirlfloc tablets
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2020, 06:46:49 pm »
This is timely.  I have been using whirfloc tablets for a very long time... 15+ years.  I just brewed last Sunday and used Kick for the first time.  It looks like a WF tablet but half the thickness and it's a little more "white" where the WF is sort of off-white.  One Whirfloc tablet is supposed to be for 10-12 gallons according to the info that Denny got from the manufacturer.  One Kick tablet is for 5 gallons.  I got very clear wort with the Kick tablet.  It was no clearer than my wort with WF but it was equally clear.  I can't remember who suggested Kick here but thank you... I like it, I got less schputz in the kettle and the wort was clear.  I got the Kick at MoreBeer.  Cheers.
Ken from Chicago. 
A day without beer is like... just kidding, I have no idea.

Offline Bob357

• Brewmaster
  • Consensus means nothing to me. I am who I am.
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2020, 09:01:33 pm »
After using Whirlfloc for several years I started using the Kick tablets and have used them for about the last 20 batches. I'm getting the same results and like the fact that a Kick tablet is the right dose for my batch size.
Beer is my bucket list,

Bob357
Fallon, NV

Offline Richard

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2020, 10:23:23 pm »
This is timely.  I have been using whirfloc tablets for a very long time... 15+ years.  I just brewed last Sunday and used Kick for the first time.  It looks like a WF tablet but half the thickness and it's a little more "white" where the WF is sort of off-white.  One Whirfloc tablet is supposed to be for 10-12 gallons according to the info that Denny got from the manufacturer.  One Kick tablet is for 5 gallons.  I got very clear wort with the Kick tablet.  It was no clearer than my wort with WF but it was equally clear.  I can't remember who suggested Kick here but thank you... I like it, I got less schputz in the kettle and the wort was clear.  I got the Kick at MoreBeer.  Cheers.
I was the one who suggested it. I get them at MoreBeer and appreciate that they are sized for 5 gallon batches. I haven't noticed any difference between Whirlfloc and Kick.
Original Gravity - that would be Newton's

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2020, 11:56:09 pm »
I stopped using any form of kettle finings except BTB years ago and didn't notice any difference in the final product. I haven't used BTB in a while either.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:42:48 am by majorvices »

Offline purduekenn

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2020, 05:03:49 am »
I've only used Irish moss in the boil not sure which method is better.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2020, 06:41:10 am by purduekenn »

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2020, 08:38:38 am »
Thanks, one and all, for the helpful replies.  I haven't used either type of clarifier before, though I know many brewers wouldn't brew without them.  I too got the Kick Carageenan through More Beer!  Given the support for the five-gallon specifications with the KC, and no strong preference for Whirlfoc, I'm going to buy some KC for future batches. Appreciate the help.
Hopspringseternal

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2020, 08:44:47 am »
I've only used Irish moss in the boil not sure which method is better.

Pretty much all the same in terms of results.  They're all effective.   Take your pick.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2020, 08:57:52 am »
I used Irish Moss for some amount of time (I might actually still have some...) but I thought the WF created a clearer wort.  But I suppose there are variables (chill time, time allowed for things to settle, temp of the chill, etc).  Nice to have options. 
Ken from Chicago. 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2020, 10:00:20 am »
I used Irish Moss for some amount of time (I might actually still have some...) but I thought the WF created a clearer wort.  But I suppose there are variables (chill time, time allowed for things to settle, temp of the chill, etc).  Nice to have options.

I one split a batches between IM and WF.  Couldn't tell the difference.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Village Taphouse

• Brewmaster General
  • Ken from Chicago
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2020, 10:49:39 am »
I one split a batches between IM and WF.  Couldn't tell the difference.
Mmm, good to know. 
Ken from Chicago. 

• Cellarman
  • Hopsringseternal
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 06:02:36 pm »
Just another word of thanks for all these helpful perspectives.  I wish the KC were more readily available, but sounds like it's probably worth the hunt--and the price!
Hopspringseternal