Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding toasted nuts to mash or boil?  (Read 2634 times)

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
Adding toasted nuts to mash or boil?
« on: November 25, 2020, 09:08:24 am »
Making a beer with toasted filbert nuts. I toasted then pulsed in a food processor  to a fine meal consistency.

Should I add to the mash or the boil? I haven't used nut before in a recipe so I'm clueless as to when and where to incorporate.

Thanks!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Adding toasted nuts to mash or boil?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2020, 09:48:55 am »
I'd say neither and use extract like Rogue does for their Multi award winning hazelnut beer.  Yeh, i realize that doesnt answer your question....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2020, 10:32:38 am »
I wish I knew which of the extracts taste good vs the ones that taste like chemicals.

512 Brewing does a Pecan Porter. The ‘clone recipe’ says roast pecans in a 350F oven for 15min, checking every 5 min. Once deemed aromatic, coarse chop them in a food processor and add them to the mash grains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2020, 10:54:05 am »
I wish I knew which of the extracts taste good vs the ones that taste like chemicals.

I will begin with the caveat that I have not used any of these in beer, but I have bought about a dozen different flavorings from Apex flavors so far to use for home soda and seltzer making, and I have been happy with everything I've used to date. My only complaint is that some of the flavors seem very "focused" (for lack of a better term). For example, Pineapple is very much "sweet pineapple", so it helps to add a touch of orange or lemon to liven it up. I also use Boysenberry or Black Currant in combination with other berry or stone fruit flavors to fill them out. They are typically natural flavors and are intended for use in alcoholic beverages, and they really do taste pretty good. I spend more time dialing in the amount of citric acid or sweetener in my sodas than the flavoring.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2020, 10:57:24 am »
I'd say neither and use extract like Rogue does for their Multi award winning hazelnut beer.  Yeh, i realize that doesnt answer your question....

Welp, I already have the nuts toasted and ground. Just needed to know mash or boil. I don't know if one has any advantage over the other but afraid that if i add th BK it might extract unfavorable bitterness. Thats just a guess though.

I'm not opposed to extracts as long as it isn't "chemically" derived. An alcohol based tincture would be fine though.

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enzymatic activity excites me!
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2020, 11:13:19 am »
Lazy Magnolia in my neck of the woods uses roasted pecans in the mash of their Pecan Brown Ale. Conversely I hear Abita uses extract in their pecan beer. Both are solid but LM is a better beer.

With all flavor addition beers I think it’s best to add the flavors in different ways at different times during the process.

So I’d add the nuts in the mash and either dry nut or use extract at bottling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2020, 11:14:05 am »

512 Brewing does a Pecan Porter. The ‘clone recipe’ says roast pecans in a 350F oven for 15min, checking every 5 min. Once deemed aromatic, coarse chop them in a food processor and add them to the mash grains

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Northwest out of Chicage is the one Rogue uses.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2020, 11:40:08 am »
Lazy Magnolia in my neck of the woods uses roasted pecans in the mash of their Pecan Brown Ale. Conversely I hear Abita uses extract in their pecan beer. Both are solid but LM is a better beer.

With all flavor addition beers I think it’s best to add the flavors in different ways at different times during the process.

If I were a commercial brewery I would definitely use extracts for various reasons, most of which is cost, labor and ease of use. I thought about splitting betwix mash and boil 50/50 based on zero knowledge.

To your point on dry nut, you mean adding during fermentation or after completion of?

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2020, 11:52:19 am »

If I were a commercial brewery I would definitely use extracts for various reasons, most of which is cost, labor and ease of use. I thought about splitting betwix mash and boil 50/50 based on zero knowledge.

To your point on dry nut, you mean adding during fermentation or after completion of?
I would think after completion. It’s one of those try it and see ... then tell us what to do! New Glarus’ cherry tart beer is alleged to include 3 different fruit/juice additions. It’s very common to add flavoring additions in different ways into one brew. I rarely fruit etc anything but when I do I now do it in multiple steps for best results.

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2020, 12:08:43 pm »

I would think after completion. It’s one of those try it and see ... then tell us what to do! New Glarus’ cherry tart beer is alleged to include 3 different fruit/juice additions. It’s very common to add flavoring additions in different ways into one brew. I rarely fruit etc anything but when I do I now do it in multiple steps for best results.

I honestly don't know if I would get enough extraction from the nuts as a dry addition. I think I will add to the mash this time, boil next time and then split between mash/boil following that. Of course that is dependent if I even like the beer.

Thanks for your replies.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2020, 02:01:44 pm »
Try a split batch, perhaps?  Best of luck and let us know what you find.  It sounds interesting.  Cheers!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline beerphilmcd

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 03:11:38 pm »
Try a split batch, perhaps?  Best of luck and let us know what you find.  It sounds interesting.  Cheers!
Agreed, report your experience when the brew is ready.

Offline chinaski

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2020, 04:58:36 pm »
You can always make your own extract or tincture by soaking the nuts in alcohol.  Then you can add to glasses of finished beer to see what works; scale that volume up and add it to your keg or bottling bucket.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2020, 07:47:00 pm »
Fermenter. I roasted crushed almonds with cinnamon and added post fermentation. The results were fantastic.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:49:24 pm by Iliff Ave Brewhouse »
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2020, 03:08:30 pm »
use of extract or an alcohol tincture are both better than adding actual nuts to beer IMO. I dont see a circumstance where adding fats to beer is a good thing. Seems like you're just asking to end up with rancid or oily tasting beer.