Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yakima Chief blends?  (Read 1252 times)

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
Yakima Chief blends?
« on: December 11, 2020, 03:09:12 pm »
Has anyone used any of Yakima Chief's hop blends?  I'm thinking chiefly of Cluster Fugget™️ since its descriptors sound the most appealing to me. 

I did search in the forums, and I've already added Brew Files #74 Can Denny Brew? (I'm guessing the answer is yes) to my queue for its discussion of the Veteran's Blend.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Yakima Chief blends?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 03:19:59 pm »
I’ve used Vet Blend. I’ll be using it again this year.

Offline tommymorris

Yakima Chief blends?
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 04:44:02 pm »
Slightly off topic but I just ordered some Edelweiss which is a blend of Saaz, Hallertau and 4 other lager hops. You can only get them from Hop Heaven. I am pretty excited to try them.

I plan to try the Yakima Chief blends as soon as I work through some of the ale hops I have in the freezer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 08:52:55 am »
I've used most of their blends.  Cluster Fugget is excellent.  Falconer's Flight, Pink Boots and Vet's are other blends I've used.  Those 3 change from year to year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2020, 10:35:37 am »
I used the Edelweiss blend last year in a pro am beer for GABF.  It didn’t win, but it was quite a good Baltic Porter.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2020, 12:02:42 pm »
I loved the Pink Boots blend
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2020, 12:12:50 pm »
I loved the Pink Boots blend

Which one?  It's different every year.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2020, 06:23:41 pm »
Slightly off topic but I just ordered some Edelweiss which is a blend of Saaz, Hallertau and 4 other lager hops. You can only get them from Hop Heaven. I am pretty excited to try them.

I plan to try the Yakima Chief blends as soon as I work through some of the ale hops I have in the freezer.

Edelweiss is divine! I cant wait for his 2020 Edelweiss to become available.

Online Drewch

• Brewmaster
  • Just this guy, you know?
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2020, 06:52:33 pm »
Thanks for the feedback, all.  I will def. give Cluster Fugget a try ... and prob. Edelweiss too.  Veterans and Pink Boots seem more IPA-oriented than I'm looking for.
The Other Drew

Home fermentations since 2019.

Member at large of the Central Alabama Brewers Society and the League of Drews.

Offline lagerman

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2020, 09:07:45 am »
Good news on Edelweiss, the boat from Germany will land in January (late) and the blend should be ready early February. 

For those who are not aware of Edelweiss, it is a traditional German and Czech flavored hop blend of 6 different hops.  With 6 different hops, it adds consistency from year to year with deeper and fuller hop character, while avoiding the vegetal and woody notes that some of the euro hops have.  The blend does have US and European hops in it.  Some brewers will use it as a base and add additional hops such as Saaz, Hally Mitt or Tett to give it uniqueness with out having to purchase 6 different packs of hops

Offline Cliffs

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2020, 09:58:07 am »
Good news on Edelweiss, the boat from Germany will land in January (late) and the blend should be ready early February. 

For those who are not aware of Edelweiss, it is a traditional German and Czech flavored hop blend of 6 different hops.  With 6 different hops, it adds consistency from year to year with deeper and fuller hop character, while avoiding the vegetal and woody notes that some of the euro hops have.  The blend does have US and European hops in it.  Some brewers will use it as a base and add additional hops such as Saaz, Hally Mitt or Tett to give it uniqueness with out having to purchase 6 different packs of hops
great to hear! I will be putting an order in shortly