Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Adding toasted nuts to mash or boil?  (Read 2568 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Adding toasted nuts to mash or boil?
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2020, 03:49:46 pm »
use of extract or an alcohol tincture are both better than adding actual nuts to beer IMO. I dont see a circumstance where adding fats to beer is a good thing. Seems like you're just asking to end up with rancid or oily tasting beer.

Was not my experience with almonds
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2020, 04:24:52 pm »
use of extract or an alcohol tincture are both better than adding actual nuts to beer IMO. I dont see a circumstance where adding fats to beer is a good thing. Seems like you're just asking to end up with rancid or oily tasting beer.

I thought about the chances of that. I added to the mash. I was more concerned with a beer that doesn't show a nice head but I will find out.

Offline HopDen

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2020, 03:11:34 pm »
A little followup on the beer.
I added the toasted hazelnuts (18 oz ground to a fine meal texture) to the mash for the entire 60 minutes. Total grain bill was 41 lbs.
It has been kegged and forced carbd' for a little over a week. Although it is a little early to say its finished I had to draw off a pint today after work.

It has a very good aroma. Some toffee/caramel notes maybe. It poured with a decent amount of head but it subsided rather quickly, maybe lasted a half glass worth and no lacing. I was afraid the I wouldn't have much head retention due to the possible fat content of the nuts but I think with more conditioning head retention may improve some. Maybe I will increase the co2. Taste is also good. It carries the toffee/caramel through with what I perceive as hints of chocolate. It has a smooth mouthfeel that tapers to a light dry finish. All in all I think with some tweaking it may be a great beer but at this point it is a good beer and worth another try.